10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2012 6:07 AM by Peter Spier

Image Files

QntaDesign Level 1

Hello Everybody,

I am starting a business where I will be getting company images from my clients to use in Adobe Indesign.  My question is, what are the best files to request from my clients to send me their company logs?  I have Adobe Indesign CS5.5. 

Thanks in advance for all the help.

QntaDesign 

• 1. Re: Image Files
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

"logs" was supposed to be "logos"?

Ask for vector files -- PDF is best (but then make sure to ask *vector* PDFs, lest someone convert a butt ugly JPEG into PDF and expects that to be good enough!). Second best is .AI, a native Illustrator file; third would be an .EPS. Since it's possible that these, too, *may* contain low-resolution bitmaps as well, stress the "vector" part for these too.

If you can't get vector files ... you're doomed to get aforementioned low-resolution, highly compressed JPEGs. You might want to steel yourself to get these anyway, 'cause Some People Never Learn. :-(

• 2. Re: Image Files
            QntaDesign Level 1

Hello Jongware,

Thank you for correcting "logos" for me, I did not catch that when I posted the question.  I have one more question for you since you are extremely knowledgeable about this.  I am not sure what business you are in, but have you had experience with companies sending you logos?  If so, do they usually send you low resolution images?  Do you feel that this will be a problem for me?   See, I  have started a small business designing advertisements for a publication that I have created in Indesign, and the printing company I am going to use wants all of the images to be 300dpi resolution. 

Let me know what you think

Thank you,

QntaDesign 

• 3. Re: Image Files
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can expect to get all sorts of art from clients, ranging from properly prepared vector logos to completely useless trash. It depends onthe sophistication of the people who work for the company you are dealing with and the resources they have.

Are you able to fix or recreate bad art?

• 4. Re: Image Files
                QntaDesign Level 1

Hello Peter Spire

Well I am fairly new to this.  However, I have become pretty good with Indesign, but I need more practice with Photoshop.  I have done some research and I think I may be able to fix the bad images by reducing the size.  If you have any input I would greatly appreciate it.  Do you specialize in this area? 

Best Regards,

QntaDesign

• 5. Re: Image Files

Photoshop is almost never the tool to be using with logos, and if you get a bad (low resolution or overcompressed) raster file, there's really nothing you can do in Photoshop that is going to make it better. I frequntly find myself re-drawing logos in Illustrator when clinets send jpegs.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Image Files
                    QntaDesign Level 1

I see, I do not have much experience yet with Illustrator.  Do you own a

business where you do this kind of work?

Thanks,

QntaDesign

• 7. Re: Image Files

I'm a freelance designer in my spare time. My real job seems to be answering questions on this forum.

• 8. Re: Image Files
                        QntaDesign Level 1

Well Peter, l'm sure you know your stuff!  So you suggest using Illustrator

for fixing the image resolution?

QntaDesign

• 9. Re: Image Files
                          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Illustrator does not "fix resolutions". Peter suggested re-drawing them, in their entirety.

Pro: you get the best possible result -- a vector file.

Con: it can take a lot of time. Easy logos are a breeze, hard logo's may need a very experienced Illustrator user. Some logos can't be redrawn as vector art at all.

If you want to avoid having to fix up *every single logo*, warn your clients beforehand that you will use what they send you, good or bad. That way they -- reasonable -- can't complain if the end result is disappointing.

• 10. Re: Image Files

I have a feeling you may be getting in a little over your head here. I get the sense you don't really understand the difference between raster (pixel-based) images and vectors (mathematical curves). Vectors have no resolution and can be used at practically any scale and are usually drawn at some random convenient size. They are ideal for logos that are made of arificial shapes. It's possible for a really skilled user of Illustrator to do near photorealistic work as well, but that's way beyond my abilities.

Photoshop is a pixel editor, and the formats it saves are all pixel-based. If you scale a raster image more than about 20% either side of "optimum" resolution for your output, you run the risk of either seeing jaggies and individual pixels, or of losing details. I'm a print-centric designer, as is Jongware, so we think in terms of high-resolution images (300 ppi, typically, at the size they will be printed). The resolution number recorded in the file in Photoshop is actually a fiction and is merely the size you've said to consider the image as being at 100%. The only resolution that has meaning is the number of pixels per unit at the size you actually use the image, which is called Effective Resolution in InDesign. Changing the resolution value in Photoshop (without resampling), and scaling in InDesign are the same thing, and neither changes the actual pixels inthe image, just how large or small those pixels become in print.

I think we've been presuming that you are headed to printed output, but perhaps that's not really the case. For web pages you probably don't want vecor logos, but you introduce the need to have many sizes for different uses and a whole new level of complexity and compromise over what can be achieved in terms of quality at small sizes.