Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot find default printer - FM10 Win7

Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Does anyone know how to fix this? I get a message on startup that FM cannot find a default printer and that I should set one in the control panel. So I go to the control panel, where the check mark indicates Adobe PDF is the default printer, and I change it to a real printer in the office and go back to FM and try to print, but I get the same message, cannot find default printer and I am unable to print.

Is there any history of this problem?

Thanks

LygiaDefaultPrinter.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe PDF virtual printer instance should be your default printer within FM (use the free SetPrint plug-in to make this happen). That way you can keep your "real" printers as the default outside of FM. Is your instance of Acrobat Distiller working correctly? I would suspect that it's not - that may be why FM is complaining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, thanks for your response, although I don't have the technical expertise to understand it completely. But I did find an old message that suggested I change some settings in the printer properties. When I tried to do that, I got a dialog box that said "The "Adobe PDF Converter' printer driver is not installed on this computer...Do you want to install the driver now?"

So I installed the driver and restarted Frame... voila! (so far!) It seems to work. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Lygia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen that same error a couple of times when loading FrameMaker. As

I recall, a reboot fixed the glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am using FM10 in Windows 8 (I occasionally get this error whenever adobe products are updated on my machine)

If you work in a more controlled environment (Federal Subcontractor with administrative controls everywhere), I contact my IT department , or if you have the administrator rights, perform the following steps:

1. Launch command prompt as administrator.
  2. Type “appwiz.cpl” press enter
  3. Right mouse click on Adobe Acrobat Pro and select change
  4. Select repair and click next.
  5. If necessary enter administrative credentials when requested.
  6. Reboot workstation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines