8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 1:13 PM by rob day

Exporting to jpeg too large

MollyMc

Whenever I export a file to a jpeg, it shows up a lot larger than it normally does. What kind of settings would have something to do with this? I don't remember changing any of my settings and can't seem to figure it out. Any ideas appreciated...HELP!!

• 1. Re: Exporting to jpeg too large
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

Are you saying that the file size is larger or that the dimensions are larger?

InDesign's jpeg export is sub-par. You would create better jpgs via

Export to pdf from InDesign and open the pdf in Photoshop (or another image editor).

• 2. Re: Exporting to jpeg too large
            MollyMc Level 1

Both, it exports larger in dimension and file size.

• 3. Re: Exporting to jpeg too large
              raytrazer

I have the exact same problem that simple save as JPEG is creating much larger files than it used to be in the last versions. Both is SAVE AS and also in SAVE LAYERS AS FILES. Not sure if it's the Mavericks upgrade or the CC2014 upgrade, I believe it happened after that upgrade. Most people mistake this bug / problem for that I need help with understanding how to save a JPEG and I can't find a solution to this problem anywhere. Saving JPEGs to Save for Web does get me the small file size I want but sets the resolution to 72dpi no matter what it is in the PSD, so not what I need/want. Let me low if you are able to get help on this issue or figure it out. THANKS!!!

• 4. Re: Exporting to jpeg too large
                Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

It sounds as if your question is actually about Photoshop, not InDesign?

• 5. Re: Exporting to jpeg too large
                  raytrazer Level 1

yes, sorry wrong corner, I got here by searching for the issue    

• 6. Re: Exporting to jpeg too large
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MollyMcCurdy wrote:

Both, it exports larger in dimension and file size.

What is the pixel dimension of your InDesign page (set your rulers to pixels and open Document setup)? if you export with the resolution set to 72 ppi the JPEG should have the same pixel dimension. Are you getting a different dimension? Also in CS6 and later PS and ID use different zoom scales. Is the actual pixel size different or just the displays at 100%

• 7. Re: Exporting to jpeg too large
                      annav48795134

I came here looking for an answer to the same question, but then I think I've figured it out. I guess it has to do with the outgoing image resolution. If I set it at 72 ppi, the outgoing image has exact dimensions of my page in InDesign. If I set it on 300 ppi (which I actually need), the outgoing size is 4.17 (300/72) times larger that the dimensions of the page in InDesign.

Solution?

1. Adjust the size of the page in Indesign depending on the desired resolution of outgoing image
                      2. Output huge jpeg @ 300 ppi and then resize in Photoshop

I vote for #2!

• 8. Re: Exporting to jpeg too large
                        rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If I set it on 300 ppi (which I actually need), the outgoing size is 4.17 (300/72) times larger that the dimensions of the page in InDesign.

The ID JPEG export is to the output dimensions of the page as inches at any chosen pixel per inch resolution. If you export an 8.5"x11" page at 300ppi it will open in Photoshop at the same 8.5"x11" output dimensions with the requested 300ppi resolution. If you are looking for a specific pixel dimension you have to set the page width and height to that dimension as pixels and use 72ppi because pixels in ID are a unit of measure—one pixel equals 1/72"—an InDesign page object has no resolution.

So if you set the rulers of the same 8.5"x11" page to pixels, its dimensions will be 612x792. If you export the page at 72ppi it will open into Photoshop at 612x792 pixels with the same 8.5"x11" output dimension. You could then uncheck Resample in Photoshop's Image Size dialog and choose 300 as the Resolution, which would maintain the pixel dimensions, but the output dimension would change to 2.04" x 2.64".