12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2016 9:49 PM by slashpot

What is the best Pen Tablet for Photoshop/Illustrator

mhossey Level 1

The more I get into design the more I keep seeing digital painting, and hearing about tablets for drawing using pressure sensitive response from the tablet. I've been on wacom and literraly just started researching a bit. I see a bamboo tablet and also an intuos tablet. Any advice for an up and coming designer and which one to buy, what to look for, what not to look for, good/bad experiences and so on?

Michael   

• 1. Re: What is the best tablet for Photoshop/Illustrator
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

They will only run on a windows based tablet.  They will not run on a Windows 8 ARM tablet either.  Adobe only sypports Windows and Mac OS Adobe does have some Tablet Apps but not Photoshop and Illustrator applications.

• 2. Re: What is the best tablet for Photoshop/Illustrator
            mhossey Level 1

so your saying I cant use a tablet with photoshop or illustrator? I thought there were specific features inside of these programs to work with tablets, maybe I didnt understand    

• 3. Re: What is the best tablet for Photoshop/Illustrator
              Level 7

Do you mean a tablet computer (like an iPad) or a drawing tablet (Wacom)?

I think JJMack meant the former, while you meant the later.

• 4. Re: What is the best tablet for Photoshop/Illustrator
                mhossey Level 1

Chris Cox wrote:

Do you mean a tablet computer (like an iPad) or a drawing tablet (Wacom)?

I think JJMack meant the former, while you meant the later.

Ahh, wow I cant believe I didnt catch that difference ha. No I'm talking about Wacom, for painting, drawing etc... not Ipads etc...

• 5. Re: What is the best tablet for Photoshop/Illustrator
                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

If you really want the best, then I guess that has to be the big Cintiq

But that's a bunch of dollars.  Most of us use the Intuos, which is perfect for photoshop

I have an Intuos4 and have not tried a 5 or Touch, and that's what you'd buy new now.

• 6. Re: What is the best tablet for Photoshop/Illustrator

In the case I like the Wacom Intuos. A small one if you draw with small amount of hand movement.  If you prefer large sweeping strokes a larger tablet may be in order.  Tablets can be remaped to screen or screens and a small portion of the tablet can be maped to your whole display. So a Large tablet can also work like a small tablet.  Intuos version function about the same the newer one have some real hardware button that can be programmed and customize the user interface a little better then older versions. The actual pen interface has not really change much at all IMO.

• 7. Re: What is the best tablet for Photoshop/Illustrator

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

If you really want the best, then I guess that has to be the big Cintiq But that's a bunch of dollars. 

A BIG bunch....

• 8. Re: What is the best tablet for Photoshop/Illustrator
                        mhossey Level 1

Thanks JJ helpful, in my research almost everyone that does any decent size of design is gearing towards the intuos over the bamboo. The cintiq is just stupid expensive so I can rule that out along with the fact I'm more test driving it right now anyways

Hey thanks again JJ

If anyone else wants to give their 2 cents about bamboo vs intuos go right ahead

• 9. Re: What is the best tablet for Photoshop/Illustrator

One problem with the big Cintiq is that it has to double as your main monitor — in practical terms at least.  Although I guess if you always use it in horizontal mode, you could still have a big screen behind it.  Heck, why are always looking for an excuse to spend more money on stuff?

There must be some truth in the adage ‘He who dies with the most toys wins’.

• 10. Re: What is the best tablet for Photoshop/Illustrator
                            Pan Da Level 1

I have the same question. I use MAC and use adobe on it and want to handdraw and use a Wacom product like Bamboo or Intus. But will the Wacom products work on a MAC?

• 11. Re: What is the best tablet for Photoshop/Illustrator

No problem using Wacom tablets with OSX as far as I know.   I have used tablets since thew original Graphire, and now use a medium  Intuos 4 and a Cintiq Companion 2.  I always use the Intuos with my main computer.  If I had to replace it now I'd get an Intuos 5 Touch (or whatever they are calling them now.   I am not sure how the Touch features work with OSX however.  With Windows you need 8.1 or 10 to use Gestures.

[EDIT]  I have changed the subject line to make it clear this thread is about pen tablets, and not IOS or Android iPad type devices.

• 12. Re: What is the best Pen Tablet for Photoshop/Illustrator
                                slashpot Level 1

The Wacom intuos & Bamboo are designed to work with Windows and Mac. The Intuos is meant to be the "pro" version, and the Bamboo more for the "pro-sumer', or amateur. The Cintiq is a different beast, but really it's designed for the Pro - with lots of cash!

I've had a Graphire and am now using my third Intuos, the Intuos 5 Pen & Touch, small. Frankly the touch part is a bit useless as it makes my drawing go stupid at times, so I have to keep it switched off, but if you're one of those folks that's happy to put on one of those groovy gloves every time it's prolly fine. The tablet part is the best I've used, but be sure to get one of their "Art Pens" to get the most out of it (an extra $80-90). There's also the option of getting a wireless dealie, so you can work without being tethered (another $40-50).

The Bamboo range, as far as I can figure, is really quite close to being as good as the intuos in basic operation, and if you're one of those incredibly rare people who doesn't have wads of cash lying around (what's wrong with you weirdo!), or you're a beginner, or both, it's probably a good option, but remember, if you plan on going to an intuos or better anyway, the pens aren't interchangeable. The intuos 5 is also cheaper now, so probably worth it if you can. I imagine Wacom are working on intuos 6 as we speak, so be sure to check it isn't within days of release before splashing your hard-earneds around, as it will make 5s cheaper, and may itself be an unmissable revolution you can't live without.

Have fun!