• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cropping to a specific size in pixels

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see how to lock in an aspect ratio, but can I use Lightroom to crop a photo to a very specific size in pixels so that I can then upload it to a website in a spot of just that size?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to upload a photo for a website, you need to create a JPG. This is done by exporting, and the Export Dialog gives you several options for resizing an image.

One option is to enter the pixel dimensions directly.

If you want to change the aspect ratio of your photo you have to crop it first in the Develop Module. In the Crop Tool enter the pixel dimensions you want under <Enter Custom>.

You can just enter pixel numbers there, like for instance 1345 x 2345, or whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Web Weaver, but I'm not sure where the "Enter Custom" area that you refer to is found. I opened Develop > Crop, and cropped the photo first by using the resizing handles and then by entering specific dimensions in the Crop Tool "Aspect" area. But, when I exported it, the aspect ratio was correct, but the size of the image was too large. Where is there an Enter Custom area that actually lets me set the final exportable size?  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in the Crop Tool (Develop Module) where you entered the dimensions. When you click on the double arrows besides the padlock, in the fly-out menu about 2/3 down there is <Enter Custom>. Just enter your desired pixel numbers there. Naturally this is cropping, i.e. cutting away parts of an image. If you want to resize the image without cutting away parts of it you have to do that in the Export dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2012 Dec 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with resizing during export is that you have no fine control over the sharpening, and it generally does not look as good as if you had simply cropped the image to the correct pixel size. Ideally, I would want to crop to my exact desired pixel output (e.g for a wallpaper) and THEN fine-tune the sharpening with the 'Detail' control panel. If the crop requires rescaling, I would want that to be applied before all other image editing operations (especially sharpening). This is a feature request!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider XmpCrop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole wrote:

Consider XmpCrop.

Will not load in LR4.3 (windows 7 64 bit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It loads fine on some win7/64 boxes running Lr4.3 - please contact me outside the forum for plugin support. - thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this involves 2 steps in Lightroom…

say you wanted an image at 800/600px, you'd first crop it using an 8/6 ratio and then export it using the resize option set to 800/600px or simply 800px at the long end. You can define different export presets for different output sizes, which makes this a fairly quick procedure. Also the crop tool will remember your custom ratios.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martin, Thanks. That's very helpful. But, I don't see where the tool is that allows me to define the export by size. Where is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Library module > Export > Image Sizing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines