1 2 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 12:42 AM by navneett25436537

Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup

lawrencem49

Hi,

I've been using fb 4.6 premium for a while and everything works fine. Then 2 days ago it started crashing every time I tried to start it up, and it always crashes when the message "loading workbench" appears at the splash screen. The .log recorded the following:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2012-06-13 18:24:12.943

!MESSAGE Warnings while parsing the commands from the 'org.eclipse.ui.commands' and 'org.eclipse.ui.actionDefinitions' extension points.

!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2012-06-13 18:24:12.943

!MESSAGE Commands should really have a category: plug-in='com.qnx.flashbuilder.multiplatform.qnx.ui', id='com.qnx.flashbuilder.multiplatform.qnx.ui.commands.OpenInfoCenter', categoryId='com.qnx.flashbuilder.multiplatform.qnx.ui.commands.category.help'

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2012-06-13 18:24:13.845

!MESSAGE System property http.nonProxyHosts has been set to local|*.local|169.254/16|*.169.254/16 by an external source. This value will be overwritten using the values from the preferences

Can anyone decipher what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
          Fahad P

Can you tell the OS FB installed on?

Have you tried Flash Builder pointing to a new wokspace?

• 2. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
            lawrencem49 Level 1

I'm using OS X 10.7.4, and I've tried to change the workspace path by setting the SHOW_WORKSPACE_SELECTION_DIALOG to true in the org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs file in order to select different workspace path, but fb still crashes.

I now suspect it has something to do with Apple's recent java update, as the same version fb on my MBP now also crashes on every startup. The crashes started to happen right after the update.

Any suggestions or workarounds? Is it possible to revert OSX's java to an earlier version?

Thanks!

Message was edited by: lawrencem49

• 3. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
              JarSyr Level 1

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem on OSX 10.6.8.

Edited to add:

Tried to run program as admin

sudo Adobe\ Flash\ Builder\ 4.6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Flash\ Builder\ 4.6

And got the following to terminal:

org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: The org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration bundle was activated before the state location was initialized.  Will retry after the state location is initialized.

org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: Logback config file: /Flash Builder Projects/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration/logback.1.0.0.20110607- 2117.xml

org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: Initializing logback

org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: eclipse.consoleLog=true

!SESSION 2012-06-15 13:34:41.791 -----------------------------------------------

eclipse.buildId=I20100608-0911

java.version=1.6.0_33

java.vendor=Apple Inc.

BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US

Framework arguments:  -keyring /Users/myusername/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86 -keyring /Users/myusername/.eclipse_keyring -consoleLog -showlocation

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2012-06-15 13:34:46.628

!MESSAGE Warnings while parsing the commands from the 'org.eclipse.ui.commands' and 'org.eclipse.ui.actionDefinitions' extension points.

!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2012-06-15 13:34:46.628

!MESSAGE Commands should really have a category: plug-in='com.qnx.flashbuilder.multiplatform.qnx.ui', id='com.qnx.flashbuilder.multiplatform.qnx.ui.commands.OpenInfoCenter', categoryId='com.qnx.flashbuilder.multiplatform.qnx.ui.commands.category.help'

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2012-06-15 13:34:48.146

!MESSAGE System property http.nonProxyHosts has been set to local|*.local|169.254/16|*.169.254/16 by an external source. This value will be overwritten using the values from the preferences

Exception in thread "Thread-1" org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Invalid thread access

at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4282)

at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4197)

at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4168)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.error(Widget.java:774)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.dispose(Widget.java:661)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell.closeWidget(Shell.java:611)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell.windowWillClose(Shell.java:2261)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.windowProc(Display.java:5445)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.JNIBridge._takedown_splash(Native Method)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.JNIBridge.takeDownSplash(JNIBridge.java:167)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.takeDownSplash(Main.java:2050)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main$SplashHandler.run(Main.java:111)

Message was edited by: j@rkko Reinstalling with all preferences removed did not help.

• 4. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                phihochzwei Level 1

Got the SAME PROBLEM. I anyone got a solution for this?

• 5. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                  phihochzwei Level 1

Just a question to Adobe: Is the FB 4.6 which is included in CS6 MC a different one, than the one you can download as a trial version ? Because after removing my MC and only installing this Trial Version, it is working. Reinstalling the one included in the MC did not have any effect.

• 6. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                    loud_owl

I also am getting this exact same error starting from cmd line.. Anyone have any solutions yet? :-(:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2012-06-20 10:08:10.634

!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2012-06-20 10:08:10.634

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2012-06-20 10:08:11.818

Exception in thread "Thread-1" org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Invalid thread access

• 7. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                      phihochzwei Level 1

Is your FB part of CS6 MasterCollection ????

• 9. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                        loud_owl Level 1

Still haven't solved this.. 2 whole days with no FB6..

Lion 10.7.4

Java SE 6  1.6.0_33-b03-424

Flash Builder 6 from CS6 MasterCollection (I had installed all the updates and preferences but then did a fresh install and no dice.. same result)

This started happening after I updated Java..

• 10. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                          Fahad P Level 1

If your FB is a part of CS, then uninstall the Flash Builder, and download a seperate FB installer from http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=flash_builder

Install it as a trial, if that makes a difference you can activate it with your CS serial key.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 11. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                            Amazeotron

Hi Fahad,

I'm having the same issue--Flash Builder gets to the Loading Workbench stage, then immediately exits. I'm running Mac OS 10.7.4 with FB part of CS6 Master Collection, and this began happening right after the Java update from Apple that happened on June 19.

I have tried the following:

• Uninstalled and reinstalled Flash Builder
                            • Rolled back my Java JVM as far back as 1.6.0_31-b04-415, and set that version as the preferred version via Java Preferences.app
                            • Installed JVM 1.7, and set it as the preferred version
                            • Uninstalled FB, and installed the trial download instead of the version packaged with CS6

None of these things have worked. Please advise.

• 12. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                              loud_owl Level 1

Hi Fahad,

I uninstalled (removed preferences) and then installed as trial from the link and same result.. slightly more verbose message when starting from cmd line tho:

org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: The org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration bundle was activated before the state location was initialized.  Will retry after the state location is initialized.

org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: Logback config file: /Users/myuser/Documents/Adobe Flash Builder 4.6/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration/logback.1.0.0.20110607-2117. xml

org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: Initializing logback

org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: eclipse.consoleLog=true

!SESSION 2012-06-20 17:39:32.745 -----------------------------------------------

java.version=1.6.0_33

java.vendor=Apple Inc.

Framework arguments:  -keyring /Users/myuser/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86 -keyring /Users/myuser/.eclipse_keyring -consoleLog -showlocation

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2012-06-20 17:39:34.798

!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2012-06-20 17:39:34.798

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2012-06-20 17:39:35.997

• 13. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                lawrencem49 Level 1

Hi Fahad,

Uninstalled FB 4.6 from MC. Re-install FB 4.6 from direct download as trial. Still doesn't work. Here's the log:

java.version=1.6.0_33

java.vendor=Apple Inc.

Framework arguments:  -keyring /Users/lawrencem/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86 -keyring /Users/lawrencem/.eclipse_keyring -consoleLog -showlocation

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2012-06-21 12:36:37.451

!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2012-06-21 12:36:37.451

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2012-06-21 12:36:39.189

• 14. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                  phihochzwei Level 1

For me, it worked.

Uninstalled CS6 MC and removed all prefs, installed the Trial FB and then reinstalled MC WITHOUT FB and iOS Support.

• 15. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                    loud_owl Level 1

I Don't have time to uninstall all of CS6, have to keep working.. I guess I'll have to switch to the free version of FDT or IntelliJ until this is sorted out??

Anyone figured this out yet? 3 days of no FB6 and counting.. damn..

• 16. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                      Fahad P Level 1

Have a look at the known issues of Flash Builder on Mac

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/known-issues-mac-os-10.html

As mentioned there, have you tried it by installing 32 bit JVM?

• 17. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                        loud_owl Level 1

I have 32 bit and 64 bit JVM installed..

• 18. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                          Amazeotron Level 1

Hey loud_owl, I just tried again with a full FB uninstall, but this time removed preferences. I also checked "Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications" check box in the Java Preferences app, and am running Java SE 1.6.0_33-b03-424. I rebooted, then installed FB using the trial download, and now it's working again. I have no idea what combination of these things made it work, but thought I'd throw it out there.

• 19. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                            loud_owl Level 1

Thanks Amazeotron! That did it! Damn.. maybe it was the restarting before re-installing? whatever the case, Thanks!!!! This does make me wonder if apple is just going to update flash builder away..

• 20. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                              Erwin1972 Level 1

I also uninstalled the CS6 version of FB, restarted, and then installed the 'trail' version. But for me nothing changes. The issues as mentioned re-appear. I can't imagine the people reacting in this forum are the only people having this problem? Is adobe taking any action fixing this problem?

Lion 10.7.4

Java SE 6 1.6.0_33-b03-424

• 21. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                lawrencem49 Level 1

Apart from doing what Amazeotron advised, the final step that made it work for me is to isntall FB in a folder other than Application. It can be a subfolder under Application - just don't use the default path.

Message was edited by: lawrencem49

• 22. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                  Erwin1972 Level 1

I've tried to install in an folder other that 'Application'. Unfortunately no success.

• 23. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                    lawrencem49 Level 1

Erwin, are you using OSX? If so, have you tried to use the 32-bit java instead?

• 24. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                      Erwin1972 Level 1

lawrencem49, yes, i'm using OSX, and I have 32-bit as well as 64-bit Java installed, where 32-bit is the primairy version.

• 25. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                        Erwin1972 Level 1

Don't ask how (I probably did something different) but I reinstalled the Trail version, and this time it worked. I got FB46 running again.

• 26. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                          Susan-StKate

I had used the trial version of Flash Builder 4.6 for the full 60 days without any problems on my Lenovo laptop, core i7, Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit, (2.5 years old).

I purchased the CS6 Master Collection, Flash Builder 4.6 worked fine for 30 days then would not open.

I've spent 3 days trying to fix it, uninstalling things, rolling back the whole computer a week, updating things and reading blogs.

I had tried uninstalling CS6 and reinstalling, did not help.

I was about to roll back 6 months and if that didn't work buy a new computer.

What finally worked was this ( I have no idea what change fixed the problem):

Uninstalled all Java entries  (7 of them)

(I didn't think of this until I happened to find this:

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml )

from Windows Control Panel-Programs and Features-Uninstall or Change a program

(Flash Builder 4.6 comes with Java 1.6 so I haven't reinstalled any version or updated to 1.7)

Repaired all .net frameworks

(right click on them in the Control Panel-Programs and Features-Uninstall or change a program)

select uninstall and a box will open asking to uninstall or repair.

Uninstalled the complete CS6 Master Collection

Uninstalled all versions of Flash

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

Ran the CS6 Master Collection cleaner tool

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Rebooted

Re installed the complete Adobe CS6 Master  Collection

• 27. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                            Pimenov Oleg Level 1

hi !!

No its not help....

Anybody help please !!

• 28. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                              Shane Smit

I just started experiencing this problem today.  It did not occur as part of a java update as far as I know.  I have tried reinstalling FB in the CS6 package and as a standalone trial with no luck.

• 29. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                                Shane Smit Level 1

Got it to work. Reinstalled the trial to a non-default location.  Then, once that worked, I decided to try uninstalling it from there, and going back to the original CS6 package version, in the default location... which worked!  So if you can get it to run once, then it seems to fix itself?

• 30. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                                  raynestorm Level 1

I am having the same problem. I have MC CS6 and Adobe Flash builder quit starting 2 day ago. Uninstalling and re-installing did not work. OS X 10.7.4.

--rayne

• 31. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                                    Darth Tator

Where is Adobe with a solution to this?! I simply don't have time to spend an hour every morning uninstalling and reinstalling Flash Builder. These are supposedly professional tools. Why the bloody hell do they run it like it's amateur hour?

• 32. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                                      marzepani Level 1

I do have the same problem. I am trying everything since 2 days, but without any success.

Uninstalling and reinstalling from the website as trial, to a different location, didn't help, too.

Flash Builder 4.6 still quits after showing the splash.

SYSTEM.LOG

Jul 23 10:14:29 mario [0x0-0x30030].org.eclipse.eclipse[583]:     at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4282)

Jul 23 10:14:29 mario [0x0-0x30030].org.eclipse.eclipse[583]:     at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4197)

Jul 23 10:14:29 mario [0x0-0x30030].org.eclipse.eclipse[583]:     at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4168)

Jul 23 10:14:29 mario [0x0-0x30030].org.eclipse.eclipse[583]:     at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.error(Widget.java:774)

Jul 23 10:14:29 mario [0x0-0x30030].org.eclipse.eclipse[583]:     at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.dispose(Widget.java:661)

Jul 23 10:14:29 mario [0x0-0x30030].org.eclipse.eclipse[583]:     at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell.closeWidget(Shell.java:611)

Jul 23 10:14:29 mario [0x0-0x30030].org.eclipse.eclipse[583]:     at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell.windowWillClose(Shell.java:2261)

Jul 23 10:14:29 mario [0x0-0x30030].org.eclipse.eclipse[583]:     at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.windowProc(Display.java:5445)

Jul 23 10:14:29 mario [0x0-0x30030].org.eclipse.eclipse[583]:     at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.JNIBridge._takedown_splash(Native Method)

Jul 23 10:14:29 mario [0x0-0x30030].org.eclipse.eclipse[583]:     at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.JNIBridge.takeDownSplash(JNIBridge.java:167)

Jul 23 10:14:29 mario [0x0-0x30030].org.eclipse.eclipse[583]:     at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.takeDownSplash(Main.java:2050)

Jul 23 10:14:29 mario [0x0-0x30030].org.eclipse.eclipse[583]:     at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main$SplashHandler.run(Main.java:111)

I am losing a lot of time. Even worse, I can't continue to work on important projects.

System:

OS X 10.7.4

Adobe Master Collection CS6

Flash Builder 4.6 (dead now)

It startet out of the blue. I did not install any updates. Flash Builder just stopped working one day.

There is only one thing that I can imagine that may have had an impact. I made a backup with Time Machine. That day the problem occured. Anyone with a similar situation?

• 33. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                                        marzepani Level 1

After several restarts, installing and uninstalling trial from website and FB from CS6 … finally:

FB 4.6 works as expected.

I have no clue why, but I'm just happy to be able to work again.

Good luck to the rest of you (nerved users)!

@Adobe: Please, fix it! Thx.

• 34. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                                          Darth Tator Level 1

If I uninstall and reinstall (takes just over an hour) it will run again but only once. If I close the program I will have to reinstall it before it will run again.

I just spent over and hour and a half on the phone with adobe technical support. They offer no solutions and tell me I must pay for a technical support contract before they will discuss it with me any further.

This is an outrage. SImply paying for the software should be enough for it to work. Given the number of people across the net complaining about this exact same thing it is obviously a problem with FB.

So how about it Adobe when will you fix this obvious bug? Why should there be one price for the software, and a second price for it to actually work?

• 35. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                                            mugdha choudhary

Hi Darth,rayne

Please provide us the amt3.log file and oobelib.log file. They are in /tmp folder. If you couldnot attach here, please mail me at mchoudhaATadobeDOTcom

-Mugdha

• 36. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                                              mugdha choudhary Level 1

Hi All,

I am posting script for collecting OOBE specific log on mac below.

#!/bin/bash

#################################################################

echo "OOBE Logs will be collected in OOBELogs folder created on Desktop"

cd ~/Desktop/

mkdir OOBELogs

cd OOBELogs

mkdir Logs

cd logs

cp /tmp/oobelib.log oobelib.log

cp /tmp/swtag.log swtag.log

cp /tmp/amt3.log amt3.log

cp /tmp/aul.log aul.log

cp /tmp/OOBE.log OOBE.log

cp /library/logs/Adobe/Installers/*.* .

cp -r ~/Library/Logs/PDApp.log PDApp.log

cd ..

cp -r "/library/Application Support/Adobe/adobe pcd/" ./PCD/

cp -r "/library/Application Support/Adobe/caps/" ./CAPS

cp -r "/library/Application Support/Adobe/PCF/" ./PCF

cp -r "/library/Application Support/Adobe/SLCache/" ./SLCache

cp -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/ ./AAMUpdater/

system_profiler >SystemInformation.txt

cd ../

tar -cvf OOBELogs.tgz OOBELogs

/Users/labuser/Library/Logs

Please follow below mentioned steps to use it

1. Open the terminal and change the working directory to Desktop using 'cd' command

2. Then enter vi logcollector.command on terminal.

3. Copy and paste the above written script. Further press Esc key  then :wq for saving and quitting.

4. logcollector.command will be created on the desktop. Please run it.  "OOBELogs" folder will be created on desktop. It contains all the logs.

Please attach those logs here in forum or mail me  at mchoudhaATadobeDOTcom after compressing

• 37. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                                                RorohikoKris Level 2

Hi all,

A few possibly helpful additional tidbits. I am using Flash Builder 4.5 (not 4.6 - I work with CS Extension Builder, and that works better with 4.5 than with 4.6). I experienced the exact same symptoms as the original poster (lawrencem49). Using Mac OS X 10.7.4. Have also installed CS6 on the same computer.

After trying all the obvious things for naught, I rolled back my computer one day based on the nightly image backups I make, and things started working again. Then a DreamWeaver CS5.5 update came in through the update manager. I allowed it to proceed, and subsequently discovered the problem was back.

Not sure whether the two are related, but I do remember that the same Dreamweaver update came through yesterday some time before the trouble started.

This morning I removed and reinstalled FB 4.5 and it works again.

So I have a suspicion the Dreamweaver CS5.5 update might be the culprit or at least involved in breaking things.

• 38. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                                                  mugdha choudhary Level 1

Please try below workaround:

Workaround:

1. Make sure you are connected to the internet.
                                                                                  2. Launch a regular  CS6 product other than Acrobat or Flash Builder (for example: Photoshop, After Effects, Premier Pro, InDesign, Flash Professional, Illustrator, Dreamweaver.)
                                                                                  3. Click on Help->Deactivate . 
                                                                                  4. Deactivate the application. Quit application.
                                                                                  5. Launch a regular  CS6 product other than Acrobat or Flash Builder (for example: Photoshop, After Effects, Premier Pro, InDesign, Flash Professional, Illustrator, Dreamweaver.)
                                                                                  6. Accept Eula.
                                                                                  7. Register trial by signing in. Let the app launch.
                                                                                  8. Quit and relaunch the app. Wait for UI to come.
                                                                                  9. Click on License This Software button on the UI.
                                                                                  10. Click on Sign in .
                                                                                  11. Serial number screen will come
                                                                                  12. Enter the serial number in the serial number screen and click Next.
                                                                                  13. Close the app if its still running
                                                                                  14. Relaunch the app while connected on the internet .
                                                                                  • 39. Re: Flash Builder 4.6 crashes on startup
                                                                                    Legion10

Also experiencing the same issue though am on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit - licensed CS6

Following Workaround for licensing which resolved issue as posted by mugdha -

Jul 26, 2012 8:44 AM

Had called Adobe tech support only to be told they wanted to charge $250 for a solution. LOL...c'mon Adobe...clearly you have a problem with your licensing service on this or a bug in the software! I'm not going to pay you to fix it. A search here fixed the issue in under 5 minutes..although I had to re-import projects into a new workspace as after this my previous workspaces would still not load. So how about a patch to resolve this problem Adobe, eh? If this continues it's going to be a serious pain to have to de-activate/active/re-import projects just to get work done.

@mugdha - I should just send you the $250 huh? =) Thanks for the workaround/fix. Worked like a charm!

1 2 Previous Next