4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2008 7:23 AM by 14thStreetStudio

D11 not for Win98SE

14thStreetStudio
      Projectors created in D10 that run on Win98SE, do not run on Win98SE when compiled in D11.

A small window is opened with trash text in the title bar. Probably a unicode text incompatibility. I have no idea what the poor creature is trying to say. Probably "Help! I'm not backwards compatible..."

Looks like D11 for Intel/Mac and D10 for legacy PC use? Any ideas?

• 1. Re: D11 not for Win98SE
          Level 7

"14thStreetStudio" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fsofll$a9m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Projectors created in D10 that run on Win98SE, do not run on Win98SE
          > when
          > compiled in D11.
          >
          > A small window is opened with trash text in the title bar. Probably
          > a unicode
          > text incompatibility. I have no idea what the poor creature is
          > trying to say.
          > Probably "Help! I'm not backwards compatible..."
          >
          > Looks like D11 for Intel/Mac and D10 for legacy PC use? Any ideas?
          >
          >

Hm, sorry to hear...

Its not a solution, but maybe some comfort in this:
          http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Richard.

• 2. Re: D11 not for Win98SE
            14thStreetStudio Level 1
            Richard,
            The stats don't help me. I have artwork running on a lovely old platform running Win98SE that I'd like to show more work on. Clearly NOT with D11.

BTW, did you notice that Linux use is _only_ twice Win98 use. That makes Win98 look more alive!

I'm now tempted to build a custom system using OpenGL and abandon D11 entirely. I don't use almost any of Director's interactive features.
            • 3. D11 not for Win98SE
              Chunick Level 3
              quote:

Originally posted by: 14thStreetStudio
              Richard,
              The stats don't help me. I have artwork running on a lovely old platform running Win98SE that I'd like to show more work on. Clearly NOT with D11.

BTW, did you notice that Linux use is _only_ twice Win98 use. That makes Win98 look more alive!

I'm now tempted to build a custom system using OpenGL and abandon D11 entirely. I don't use almost any of Director's interactive features.

If you're going to be so stubborn in the first place by keeping a win98 machine running then it's a bit surprising you're going to give up so easily... ;-)
              if you haven't already, then check this out:
              http://www.microsoft.com.nsatc.net/globaldev/handson/dev/mslu_announce.mspx
              it may or may not help... I haven't run win98 for many, many years now and I've even upgraded to that new fandangled windows Vista.
              • 4. Re: D11 not for Win98SE
                14thStreetStudio Level 1
                That was a good idea. I'm just guessing it's a unicode problem. I loaded the unicows.dll from the Msft site but to no avail (I stuck it in a bunch of places so that the projector had an easy chance of finding it).

The machine has the same plaintive cry for help in a language I don't/can't understand...