15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 9:27 AM by Noel Carboni

Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6

Equus Imaging

I spent months saving to get the £250 to buy Photoshop CS5.5 and Lightroom 4 using my Student status. I am also disabled, on a fixed income.

When CS6 was launched I was thrilled as I had tried the beta and loved it. BUT I was told that I had ordered SIX DAYS too early and couldn't get the free upgrade. What is more, there is no upgrade price for Students, you have to pay the full £190 AGAIN.

This has to be wrong, it's certainly unfair. It's like taking someones £1000 for the full priced product but then saying that you have to pay the £1000 again to upgrade when your product is less than two month old.

Thanks Adobe, I am GUTTED

I had even come up with a Faux IR in CS6 with doesn't work in CS5.5!!

• 1. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
          Curt Y Level 7

The reason why there is no upgrade pricing for student versions is that it is far cheaper to by the full student version than an upgrade.

• 2. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
            charles badland Level 4

It has been years since Adobe had any student upgrade pricing... if ever. And there has has to be some cut-off date for a free upgrade.

I feel for you... but let me tell you-  some professionals here paid A LOT more for Photoshop Extended than you did. Even if you paid to upgrade to PsCS6... that is still less than half the retail cost. (assuming your PS education software is Extended, like here in US)

• 3. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Not that I don't have sympathy for you in your situation, but it seems a bit extreme to say you're "GUTTED" when a) you have gotten your software at a very deep discount and b) you have received exactly what you purchased and it works.

That said, search this forum for "free upgrade".  Some people have reported being successful in talking Adobe into providing a free upgrade even though they purchased Photoshop CS5.5 outside the "window".  Apparently a VP at Adobe said something last year about having to buy CS5.5 that he really shouldn't have.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
                Equus Imaging Level 1

It's is still unfair. Why do Adobe let you buy the software so close to the release date, when they know you won't get the free upgrade. Surly they could warn you. I wouldn't mind paying a smaller upgrade fee, but the reason there is a student price in the first place is that A: Students in general don't have much money & B: it ties you in  to their software for later when you are no longer a student.

After paying out what to me is a very large sum of money, it would be months, maybe not even this year, before I can afford to upgrade under the current system. Upgrade policy and pricing should be the same across the board, wether Student or Full Retail.

Surly someone can see that?

• 5. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
                  Don Quinn Level 1

Equus Imaging wrote:

...When CS6 was launched I was thrilled as I had tried the beta and loved it. BUT I was told that I had ordered SIX DAYS too early and couldn't get the free upgrade...

If one knew that CS6 was coming soon, why waste money on CS5? Do we prefer to buy brown bananas at the market?

Equus Imaging wrote:

...Surly they could warn you...

That warning was the CS6 beta!

You might try begging to Customer Service to see if someone can help. But you are posting your grievances to fellow users here that can't do anything for you.

• 6. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
                    Equus Imaging Level 1

I bought the CS5.5 before the Beta came out, but thought that when the Beta came out so close I would get the free upgrade. I only bought it on 20th March, and look when CS6 was released.

• 7. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Equus Imaging wrote:

Surly someone can see that?

Surely you can see that your problems are not everyone's problems.  And that you failed to inform yourself about what's going on.  You found your way to the forum to whine today - why didn't you find your way here to ask about when Photoshop was likely to release?  Pretty much everyone here has known for a year or more when CS6 would be released.

Adobe chose to offer free upgrades back to a particular cut-off date.  That they gave you a student discount and that they offer free upgrades are good things.  You're trying to turn it around saying they aren't giving enough.  Is Adobe your personal fundraising charity?

Or is it a business, where a whole bunch of people work their butts off for a paycheck?

Should they get paid, or you?

-Noel

• 8. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
                        charles badland Level 4

Bad timing? Yes.

Unfair? No.

CS5 was released April 30, 2010. CS5.5 (just a dot release for Photoshop) was released May 3, 2011.

When were you expecting CS6 to be released?

• 9. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
                          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Noel said it best: You found this forum now, why didn't you back then? That aside such posts can only be unproductive. You can get your work done in CS5, can you not? I mean, many professionals make decisions about not upgrading because they do not need all features, so pardon me, but why do you as a student who cannot possibly have the time to even work with the program full time (if you take your school and studies halfway seriously) and thus may never even get close to using some features, make such a fuss? I understand you dilemma on a strictly abstract  level - nobody wants to part with his money for a rusty Ford when the next day he may have the chance to get a Porsche - but just the same, I feel you need to get your feet back on the ground and adjust your perspective. You are getting this software at a good price and all the basic stuff has worked the same since several versions. And I really can't imagine that you learn things at school or do stuff in your sparetime that would surpass what most people here on this forum do on an almost daily basis, making CS6 an ultimate requirement. Rather learn the ins and outs of the program and to work with what you have. By the time you know every feature and panel in PS CS5.5, CS7 may be just around the corner and you will appreciate it even more than just being the feature greedy kid...

Mylenium

• 10. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
                            Equus Imaging Level 1

How dare you judge me, you know nothing about me, so here you are I’ll tell you.

I am not a Spotty Teenager, I am 56 years old, and am disabled due in part to a brain tumour. I am taking a home study Professional Photography course just to feel I am archiving something, as I am not capable of attending a college.

I only came on here at the suggestion of Adobe Support, I don’t do forums as I have never got any real help from any in the past. I did do some research as to when CS6 was going to be released, but found nothing concrete. As I was using a grey copy, I wanted to buy a legal copy as soon as I could afford it, SO I DID.

Yes I am peeved about not getting the Free Upgrade, for the sake of six days, but I do strongly feel that the 80% discount should be applied for Student Upgrades, this would provide a more even pricing policy. If I am still alive when CS7 arrives, I will count myself as very lucky, but I will not have student status by then and there is no way I will ever be able to afford the full product, short of winning the lottery.

As far as not having the time to learn the product features properly, you couldn't bre more wrong. I find out what I need when I need it. How do you think I devised the Faux IR work round in CS6. I could not find one I thought close enough to the real thing in CS5.5, so I playend in CS6 Beta and devised my own way of doing it, and it doesn't work in othe versions, I've tried it.

It seems to me by most of the comments on here that, they are born out of having to pay the full retail, and not liking someone getting a good deal, “Sour Grapes” just about covers it. A forum is supposed to be of help to people, if you can’t say anything constructive the don’t say anything at all!!

• 11. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
                              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

I could not find one I thought close enough to the real thing in CS5.5, so I playend in CS6 Beta and devised my own way of doing it,

Which CS6 feature was intergral to the workflow that can not be emulated in CS5?

Would you care to elaborate as to the steps involved?

Just give Photoshop CS5 a try.

While there are indeed plenty of improvements in CS6 which make it a valuable new version, many of the »eye-catching« features (Content Aware Move Tool, Blur Gallery, Color Themes …) so popular in presentations are, in my opinion, pretty close to irrelevant to serious work (though they may well represent impressive programming achievements and be improved with time).

• 12. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
                                charles badland Level 4

A forum is supposed to be of help to people, if you can’t say anything constructive the don’t say anything at all!!

I think the "constructive" feedback you are getting in the forum is that you own a great product purchased at a great price.

Now, go and do something great with it.

• 13. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
                                  Don Quinn Level 1

Equus Imaging wrote:

...A forum is supposed to be of help to people, if you can’t say anything constructive the don’t say anything at all!!

What help were you seeking? I don't recall a question. Rants are often met with rants. That's the internet for you.

Your griping about buying a brown banana is certainly not constructive.

Let's move on to constructive discussion. With what do you need help in CS5?

• 14. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
                                    charles badland Level 4

Your griping about buying a brown banana...

More like buying a 2011 Cadillac (in December 2011) then griping that the car dealer won't let him freely exchange it for a 2012 model in February.

• 15. Re: Unfair Student Upgrde Policy - CS5.5 to CS6
                                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Equus Imaging wrote:

if you can’t say anything constructive the don’t say anything at all!!

All that could be said that's constructive was said by post #3, but you appeared to ignore it and kept whining.

Time to move on, wouldn't you say?  This is not a place to beg for sympathy.

-Noel