8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2015 10:38 AM by vasilisnikolo

How to animate handwriting for title slide in Premiere Elements 9

ginafromtampa Level 1

I want to simulate someone handwriting my video's title on the title slide.  Is there a way to do this in Premiere Elements 9?  I've thought about using Captivate (or another tool such as Camtasia or Jing) to do a video screen capture while I write the text in PhotoShop, then importing that video into my Premiere 9 project.  Is that the easiest way to do it?  I'd like the handwriting animated text to be its own later so that I can add an image in the background (brick wall, sidewalk, chalkboard, etc.).

Thanks!

Gina

• 1. Re: How to animate handwriting for title slide in Premiere Elements 9
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

See if there is a tutorial at http://bellunevideo.com/tutlist.php

or

Adobe Tutorials in the Wiki http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tutorials

or

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/index.htm

I used to have a link to a tutorial on animating a route on a map, but that was a LONG time ago on the old forum, so don't have that information now

You might Google something like

premiere animate map route

or just

premiere map route

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to animate handwriting for title slide in Premiere Elements 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I have done this many times, and some of the mechanics will dictate the best method.

In one example, I had multiple lines of "handwritten" Text on a "blackboard." I chose a "handwriting font" and created the the Title as an Image in Photoshop. I "distressed" the Text a bit, to simulate the texture of an old blackboard. Then, I used a Layer Mask to "hide" most of the Text, and altered that many times, to "reveal" the Text, part of a letter at a time. I did a Layer Comp (Photoshop has that option, but not sure about PSElements). One could do the same with multiple Save_As operations. I would suggest numbering each Save_As, incrementally, so that you know the exact order you need. Experiment with the Duration (I think that I settled on 3 Frames, set in Edit>Preferences>Still Frame Duration, prior to final Import), and then probably also setting the Duration of Transitions (think that I went with 2 Frames). Import those Layer Comps, or Save_As files into PrE, drag in order to the Timeline, apply the Transition (Cross-Dissolve in my case), to "animate" the writing. I added two SFX files: one "chalk on a blackboard" and the other a "click," to simulate the chalk being placed against the blackboard.

In my case, I wanted each letter to look as though it was being fluidly written to the blackboard, so revealing the letters, exactly as they would be written, was what I wished to achieve. If one is less concerned with the result looking exactly like someone is writing, there are many ways to use Effects, like Crop, or perhaps Transitions, like Linear Wipe, to simulate things, though I found those rough, plus I had many lines of Text.

It took some planning, and then time to implement, just as I wanted it, but the finished effect was great, and there was nothing that I would have done differently.

One consideration, but mainly real-world mechanical, and aesthetic, would be to extend the Save_As files, when a word has been finished, by a Frame, or two, as in the real-world, the writer would lift the chalk momentarily, before moving to the next word. I did not do that, but used the SFX files to hint that the chalk was moved, then placed back in contact with the blackboard.

Also, if the "writing surface" is smooth, then there would likely be no reason to "distress" the Text.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - After Effects has a Write-On Effect, and I think that it is mentioned in one of John T's links.

• 3. Re: How to animate handwriting for title slide in Premiere Elements 9
              ginafromtampa Level 1

Bill,

Thanks very much for the detailed steps.  I'm going to try this.  I'm also going to try the font our 9-year-old created with a font maker application, because it's a video about kids.  I'll most my results in a few days.

Gina

• 4. Re: How to animate handwriting for title slide in Premiere Elements 9
                ginafromtampa Level 1

John,

Thanks very much.  I'll look for those instructions.

Gina

• 5. Re: How to animate handwriting for title slide in Premiere Elements 9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The choice of font can be very important. In my case, the theme of the video was middle-school, and the "handwriting" was to simulate a teacher writing on the blackboard. I did my Title Sequence on a Transparent Background, and just used a static "blackboard" Image below the Titles. I looked at several handwriting fonts, and think that I might even have gone to a foundry, like Chank, to get just what I wanted. I think that using your child's font would also have a nice, intimate touch to it.

If you need more info on the font (looks much more like an adult with good penmanship, in my case), I think that I still have that Project in the archives, and will dig around for it, plus the font used. Just let me know.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to animate handwriting for title slide in Premiere Elements 9
                    ginafromtampa Level 1

Bill,

I'd love to see your font example.

Thanks!

Gina

• 7. Re: How to animate handwriting for title slide in Premiere Elements 9
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Gina,

Since I am back in town for a bit, let me see if I can find that Project, and put some examples together, including screen-caps of the Timeline (in PrPro for that one, but the general layout will be similar to PrE, so interpolation will not be difficult). Might be worth doing a Tips & Tricks article? Over the next few days, I will see what I still have, and prep it for display on either Muvipix, or at least a YouTube example.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - besides the "look," legibility is another consideration, and is why I choose to use a handwriting font, rather than doing the Text on my Wacom. Though I have good handwriting, I have never mastered doing great work, like this, on the tablet, with the stylus.

• 8. Re: How to animate handwriting for title slide in Premiere Elements 9
                        vasilisnikolo Level 1

hello   a guy  from  premier  elements  forum referred me  to  this  link.i  know  that  with  photoshop  CS  or  CC  series  can  you  create  animated  handwritten text( you  know,with the''invisble''   hand)using  keyframes ,  images  and  clips.my  quetsion  is, if  can  i  do  that  with  photoshop  elements  or  premiere  elements  or  with  both if  it  is  necessary(photoshop  is  expensive).i'm  teacher  of  mathematics  and  i  want  to  create  video  tutorials.my  firend  told  me  that  creates  these  animation  with  clips  and  images  usnig  keyframes in  photoshop  CS5.but  i  dont  know  anything  about  that  or  layres ,masks  e.t.c