6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2012 3:16 PM by agentjonnyb

Recommended Specs for PREL editing laptops for class? Does PREL take advantage or 2+ CPU cores, etc?

agentjonnyb

I am preparing to acquire a few laptops to install Premiere Elements 9 to, and teach to a few students, and need to know what really to go for in specs. The students will be bringing their own cameras, some (likely most will shoot SD to HD720p, one I know will have a Canan DSLR with 1080p video). So I'd like to make these flexible to accomodate diverse resolutions. I do know very well not to expect anything like what we get on CS5 and up with the Mercury Playback Engine, I just need to know if Elements will at least make decent use of triple or quad core CPUs, and how much RAM to make playback at least somewhat tolerable.

I am looking at a budget of $400-$500 per laptop, and am searching newegg and tigerdirect.

I assume 6GB of RAM would be a minimum for decent perform?

Should I go higher clocked dual-core (Core i5 for example), or just more cores? (my guess is more cores)

Since I am at a limited range of ATI/AMD GPUs, should I be looking at M or G series?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Recommended Specs for PREL editing laptops for class? Does PREL take advantage or 2+ CPU cores, etc?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For effective HD video editing, a laptop with the following

-at least the Intel sandy bridge 2720 or 2820 quad processor

-1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card

-and 8 or 16 gig ram and Win7 64bit

-and 2 internal 7200 HDDs minimum

1080p does not edit well in PreElements... if possible, set the camera to use 1080i

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1017428

If possible, upgrade to PreEl 10 and install the 64bit version on Win7 64bit

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Recommended Specs for PREL editing laptops for class? Does PREL take advantage or 2+ CPU cores, etc?
            agentjonnyb Level 1

Thank you! I will look into the upgrade to PREL10 then, as I did not know it worked better with this kind of hardware. Unfortunately however, I am afraid many of those specs are only in laptops that will be at least $100-$200 out of our budget. I did however find some within the budget with quad-core AMD CPUs, from 1.4-1.8GHz, 6GB RAM, and several ATI/AMD graphics cards to choose from. As for HDDs, I will also have to settle for single, but given that these are 1-week classes I am teaching, the build-up of footage will not take even half the leftover space on these systems, as they will simply have Windows 7 64-bit, PREL9 or 10, and Security Essentials. I also will re-partition the system with a small C for strictly Windows and programs (probably about 60GB), and the remaining 400-550+GB will make up the D partition strictly for footage and PREL files.

So far, I have narrowed down to the two following systems for comparison:

lenovo IdeaPad Z575 (12992PU) Notebook 15.6"Samsung Series 3 NP305V5A-A04US Notebook 15.6"
            AMD A-Series A6-3420M(1.5GHz quad-core)AMD Quad-Core A8-3510MX (1.8GHz quad-core) - Better CPU
            6GB DDR36GB DDR3
            AMD Radeon HD 6650M - Better GPUAMD Radeon HD 6380G
            500GB HDD640GB HDD - Better HDD

Not really certain which would be a higher priority - CPU or GPU, but it appears that regardless, having the most cores is best, am I correct?

• 4. Re: Recommended Specs for PREL editing laptops for class? Does PREL take advantage or 2+ CPU cores, etc?
              agentjonnyb Level 1

Oh wow, never looked into that, ok...scrap the partition idea!! I typically did that to make upgrading OS quick and easy without having to do long backups of personal files, but that's kind of irrelavant anyways since we wipe out student files once they're done for the week anyway. Good call!

• 5. Re: Recommended Specs for PREL editing laptops for class? Does PREL take advantage or 2+ CPU cores, etc?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Canan DSLR

IMHO PreElements 10 64bit and the laptop to have Win7 64bit... Home Premium costs less than Pro, as long as you know that it has a memory limit (I think 16gig, but I have Win7 64bit Pro so have never really paid much attention to the memory limit of the lesser version)

I do NOT think you will be happy trying to use version 9

PS - get each computer set up with everything working... and before you add any student accounts or files... and make an image of the boot drive to USB hard drive for easy recovery

Hardware crashes or virus infections or simple software problems happen, so you should buy AND USE software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... plus, making step-by-step backups during a new setup or major program addition makes it easy to go back a step if something doesn't work
                This backup and then restore is, of course, only to the same computer with a new drive (or the same drive as long as you don't mind writing over everything) since doing a restore to a new computer won't work due to Windows and many programs having activation information that is keyed to your hardware (which is why Windows will force you to RE-Activate if you change very much hardware)
                The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
                Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything
                Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

• 6. Re: Recommended Specs for PREL editing laptops for class? Does PREL take advantage or 2+ CPU cores, etc?
                  agentjonnyb Level 1

Thanks! Fortunately, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit comes pre-installed to these units, which will definitely take a lotta work off my hands. Sounds like version 10 is gonna be a jump to make for certain now, which will be fine. Should I be leaning toward a system with better CPU or GPU, like what I posted earlier in that table?