13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 7:54 AM by ODJamo

CS6 Blackmagic

ODJamo

Hello everyone,

I'm having a serious issue and I was hoping someone on the forum maybe able to help.    Here's the specs before I get to involved:

HPZ800

Windows 7 64-bit Pro

Dual 6 core Xeon X5690 3.47Ghz Processors

48GB Ram

128GB SSD C:

5TB RAID 5  D:

Blackmagic Decklink HD extreme 3D

Nvidia Quadro6000

GSpeed es RAID Controller card

1200W PS

Liquid Cooled

We have 6 of these machines and all are identical.  2 of these machines are currently running CS5.5 and the other 4 have been upgraded to CS6.  1 of those running CS6 continually gets Blue Screens of Death.  This particular machine was performing incredible until it was upgraded to CS6.  The other 3 machines with CS6 have not had a BSOD and are performing great.

When I check the minidump file, I get SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and it states that decklink.sys is culprit stating: "This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.  It has occured using both After Effects (When left at a standstill for more than 5 minutes) and Premiere Pro (When opening a new project).

I have also received another BSOD with the error of DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE related to the following module: ntoskrnl.exe.  At the bottom of this particular minidump it states "Possible this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time."

Using the system image created at first boot, I have re-installed the OS.  I have uninstalled CS6, run the adobe cleanner and re-installed CS6.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Blackmagics latest drivers compatible with CS6.

I have searched these forums along with any related to the Decklink card as well as microsoft forums for the past week and can find nothing related to these occurences.  Is anyone else having any problems with the compatibility of Blackmagics Decklink HD extreme 3D and CS6?  And now that you have thoughfully read this post, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: CS6 Blackmagic
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You might try reinstalling Windows from scratch rather than using an image, which could very well contain the same corrupted code which is only now causing an issue.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS6 Blackmagic
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code

This may not be related to your problem, but Win7 permissions are sometimes odd

Try with Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

• 3. Re: CS6 Blackmagic
              ODJamo Level 1

Thank you both for a quick repsone. 

Jim, the system came preloaded with the OS and we don't have any of the installation discs.  Which was why we created the system image before even getting to the desktop.

John, I have re-installed the drivers for the BM card and changed all Adobe products to run as admin.  I ran a quick test and everything seems to working fine.  I will test all programs in the morning and post my results.  In checking the other systems, none of them are set to run as admin even though they are all logged in under the admin.  Should I go ahead and change all systems to run as admin?

again, thank you both for your speedy responses.  They are greatly appreciated.

• 4. Re: CS6 Blackmagic

I have only HAD to use the "run as" process for Encore to create a dual layer DVD (I do not, yet, do BluRay) but I now have both Encore and PPro configured to use "run as" via the steps I posted

I built my computer, and installed Win7 and am the only user, with the "master" Admin account... and I still HAD to use "run as" in Encore

Now, when I click the Encore or PPro icons I am asked do I really want to "run as" and I click yes... small delay/price for full operation

• 5. Re: CS6 Blackmagic

>preloaded with the OS and we don't have any of the installation discs

When that happens, a GOOD vendor will have the OS tucked away in a special hidden partition... with a routine to write the OS out to DVD for a reinstall in case the entire hard drive dies

Check with your vendor

• 6. Re: CS6 Blackmagic
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

the system came preloaded with the OS and we don't have any of the installation discs.

Well, that sucks.

• 7. Re: CS6 Blackmagic
                      ODJamo Level 1

Yea, that sucks big time.  I'll check with the Vendor on those discs.  My company orders enough through HP that hopefully it "shouldn't" be a problem. 

In testing it out this morning, I recieved the same BSOD.  I was working in AE and tried to bring up the desktop.  As soon as the video went to black on my production monitor, it BSOD me.  Thank god for the ctrl + c.

Thanks again for the help.

• 8. Re: CS6 Blackmagic
                        ODJamo Level 1

Ok, I got a PM from a Gentleman named Chris wondering if I've ever fixed the problem.  I hope this will help someone along the way.  The answer is no.  Howerver, I have not had a BSOD since I figure out the culprit. 

There seems to be a conflict between Premiere and After Effects signal to the external monitor.  What I have done is gone into AE preferences and changed the "Output Device" to "Computer Monitor Only".  This way, AE does not send the signal through the Decklink.  Granted, I can not view my sequences on the nice big external monitor, but it beats BSOD's all the time.

I hope this helps someone along the way.

ODJamo

• 9. Re: CS6 Blackmagic

Your fix would SEEM to indicate a problem with the device driver for your decklink... what does the vendor of that product say?

PS - 3rd party device drivers can cause all sorts of problems... I have read that certain nVidia driver versions cause problems for Premiere Pro

• 10. Re: CS6 Blackmagic
                            ODJamo Level 1

I spoke with a tech support gentleman when it was happening.  He took down the information and sent it up the food chain.  That was the extent of it.  Since I haven't had any problems and Premiere is our basic use of the systems, I haven't given it anymore thought.

• 12. Re: CS6 Blackmagic
                              Chris Sloane

Happy to report that the issue seems to be resolved with my z800 with the new CS6 CC update + Decklink 9.7.5 driver. Haven't had a BSOD in a couple of weeks. Touch wood!

• 13. Re: CS6 Blackmagic
                                ODJamo Level 1

Chris,

So happy to hear that.  I did the exact same steps as you and I haven't had a single BSOD either.  I now can use my external monitor for my After Effects projects.  That's a huge bonus.  Thanks again for everything.  Your steps really helped.

Thanks again,

Jamo