6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 8:38 AM by John T Smith

Keeping Original Files

likemovies Level 1

What's the general guidelines for keeping original files after completing a project? Do most of you discard them, or keep them?

Being as I'm not a very efficient shooter, I sometimes have a couple minutes of video for just ten seconds of needed footage. Those files take up a lot of space. Any recommendations appreciated.

Thank you. Stan

• 1. Re: Keeping Original Files
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is this for you, or for a customer?

How often do you need to reuse your original footage?

How much storage space do you have for USB hard drives?

• 2. Re: Keeping Original Files
            likemovies Level 1

Hi John, this is just for my personal use, making movies for family, friends, school projects (my kids).

In the year and a half I've done movies, I've never reused original footage.

I just installed a 1TB second HDD. With all my data on it, it's about 25% full.

Thanks Stan

• 3. Re: Keeping Original Files
              the_wine_snob Level 9

First, I always Copy over my *****, into appropriate folders, and sub-folders, under the Project's root folder, so I just Archive the Project, and then Delete the Project's root folder. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Keeping Original Files
                likemovies Level 1

Thanks Bill, very nice article! I'm going to progress to a strategy like this. Stan

• 5. Re: Keeping Original Files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for the kind words.

That is just my scheme, and much of it is predicated on the need to migrate entire Projects between multiple computers.

Were I ONLY working on the workstation, I would possibly do things a bit differently, to get more performance:

C:\ OS and programs w/ possibly the Page File

D:\ RAID0 Project root folder w/ Copies of media under it

E:\ Project in Project root folder

F:\ RAID0 Scratch Disks in Project root folder, including Render Files

G:\ RAID0 Export/Share files to Project root folder

So long as the RAID drives are managed by a dedicated hardware card, things should fly. If the RAID is managed by software, or even hardware on the MoBo, there is not nearly so great a performance increase - though there will be some.

That would mean that when I am finished, I would need to go to four separate HDD's, but would only need to Delete the Project root folder from each. My media Asset originals would stay on my NAS, out of the way.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Keeping Original Files
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ok... so you won't have a paying customer who wants changes, only yourself

But... even "only" for yourself, do you have have footage that you would not want to lose "just in case" you will ever want to use it again? (Baby's first step kind of video???)

I have an internal 1T drive that I use for my home hobbyist video... plus a 2T USB drive for backups