9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2012 5:18 PM by A.T. Romano

Disc burn menu - how to select high quality burn?

Kiwi Jammer

Hi there

When I go to the Disc Burn menu and uncheck the Fit contents to disc box there is no slider or way of selecting between most video and highest quality. I want to burn at the highest quality but my first attempt was very low quality.I am using AV files and settings and have burned the footage OK with other software previously.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Disc burn menu - how to select high quality burn?
          nealeh Level 5
          • How long is your project?
          • Are you trying to burn to a dual-layer or single-layer DVD?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Disc burn menu - how to select high quality burn?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And how are you judging the quality of your final DVD?

Much depends on what type of camcorder your original video is coming from and which project settings you selected when you set up your Premiere Elements project.

• 3. Re: Disc burn menu - how to select high quality burn?
              Kiwi Jammer Level 1

Thanks for the additional questions,

This is a short 30 min project to test with

Burning to single layer

SD camera downloaded in DV/AVI format

Selected AV project settings

DVD burn

I'm comparing quality of this burn to my older software (ULead) burnt at highest quality settings, both viewed on same TV. Footage is badly pixelated and motion not fulid

My immediate question is shouldn't I be able to select the quality between "Most video" and "Best quality" options, it seems like something is missing as i can't select, from the online help and guide I should be able to make this selection when burning a DVD...a bug or install problem maybe??

Thanks again

• 4. Re: Disc burn menu - how to select high quality burn?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Something is wrong. If you are using miniDV footage as your source and outputting a DVD, your DVD video should be virtually undistinguishable from your original footage. Badly pixelated and not fluid motion are never an issue.

• 5. Re: Disc burn menu - how to select high quality burn?
                  nealeh Level 5

Kiwi Jammer wrote:

Selected AV project settings

• Exactly which project setting is that you are using?
                  • When you added your clips to the timeline did they show red lines above them?

Kiwi Jammer wrote:

My immediate question is shouldn't I be able to select the quality between "Most video" and "Best quality" options,

Not in this case - that your project is only thirty minutes means that PRE does not have to compromise on quality versus quantity.

If you were to duplicate your existing thirty minutes clips four or five times at the end of the timeline (e.g creating a project duration of around three hours) then you will be able to move the slider between Most Video and Best Quality.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Disc burn menu - how to select high quality burn?
                    Kiwi Jammer Level 1

Hi Neale

Thanks very much for your help, sorry I have not been able to reply sooner.

The files I imported to the project were .AVI files

The Edit mode for the project was DV PAL.

Not sure any other settings i can provide?

I can only see a red line above some of the clips - what does that mean? I then checked all clips on the burned DVD but they are all of a low quality.

That makes sense with the slider - thanks for that.

If you have any more suggestions that would be awesome

Many thanks, KJ

• 7. Re: Disc burn menu - how to select high quality burn?
                      nealeh Level 5

When you added the video clips to your timeline none of them should have had red-lines above - that indicates that you were using the correct Project Setting. As you edit your clips a redline will show above the clip. This indicates that you have made a change that will affect the final output. It is not a required activity but you can, if you wish, press the Enter key to render a preview for those items. When that is done the line will turn green.

Note though that you do NOT have to render the timeline just because there are red lines - it only affects the previews in PRE, not the output to DVD. This is because PRE always does a complete render during the Share process.

NOW ... If some of those clips showed a red line when you first added them, they do not match the Project Setting. This is unlikely to be your problem as the clips came form the same camera. Is this correct?

Have you added clips from other sources or still images to your timeline?

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Disc burn menu - how to select high quality burn?
                        Kiwi Jammer Level 1

Hi again

Thanks for the additional info. Yes all clips are from the same camera. I have tried to create the project again checking settings etc. I noticed I was getting a message "Fix quality problems in clips", I selected yes but the end product DVD has the same low quality issues. Not sure what else to try?

Cheers

• 9. Re: Disc burn menu - how to select high quality burn?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Kimi Jammer

If you have not yet found the answer to your Immediate question that you have described previously in this thread, please consider....

For the answer to your question about the "Missing Burn Dialog Quality Info", please go to Premiere Elements Workspace Window Menu/Restore Workspace. I have been there and done that and written about that (with screenshots).

"Premiere Elements 10 Burn Dialog Quality Info Gone"

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72039

As for not using "Fit Content to Available Space" so that you can set the Burn Dialog Bitrate higher...consider "don't". The maximum Bitrate setting is 8.00 Mbps (megabits per second). With "Fit Content to Available Space" the program is automaticaly assigned to fit content to space and will lower the Bitrate down from 8.00 when necessary to make that fit. If you uncheck the " Fit Content to Available Space" so that you can use the Quality Slider to raise the Bitrate which has been lowered by the program, you are more than likely going to get a Data Rate Error Message. It is my experience, that "Fit Content to Available Space" UNCHECKED has its merits when you get a Data Rate Error Message and need to lower the Bitrate to get rid of that error.

As a matter of curiosity, when you have your DVD in the burner tray and Premiere Elements is at the Burn Dialog with "Fit Content to Available Space" with check mark, what does the Quality Area show for Space Required and Bitrate for the project involved in this thread? And, just an aside, the Premiere Elements burn process itself does not work with a fixed Bitrate. It works off a variable Bitrate which you can see in a properties read out for the end product using a program such MediaInfo.

ATR