5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 10:41 AM by JEShort01

NAS system for editing between 2 workstations

lordloco79

Good afternoon one and all,

I am having a problem finding some solution for my needs. I work alongside another video editor and ideally we need to access projects from a central location. I am currently using CS5.5 but am awaiting my CS6 right now.

I know this is probably a lot to ask, but is there a solution which would allow us to do that, not to work on the same project but a project each stored on the same system.

I have seen many NAS drives like the DROBO etc. but I am not sure of any of the plus or minus points of using something like this, what connection is most effective or would cause serious bottle necks, I have read that Firewire 800 would be great, but then again many arguements for using Gigabit Ethernet and eSata, enough to give me a headache!

So here i am again asking for any advice on what other users have had, good and bad!

thanks for any help to all you genii out there!

CHEERS

Bradley

• 1. Re: NAS system for editing between 2 workstations
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Drobo is ill advised, because it is so slow.

If you want a NAS, in contrast to a much faster but also more expensive SAN, there are two brands that stand out IMO, QNAP and Thecus. The QNAP TS-879 Pro is pretty expensive, the Thecus N7700Pro is much more affordable and both are really good. You can connect them with dual gigabit connections, much better and faster than FW800.

Keep in mind, like Jon pointed out, that a NAS is for storage and accessability, not for video editing. For editing you need a much faster solution.

BTW, I use the Thecus N7700Pro myself, and it has been very reliable, provided you have reliable disks installed.

• 2. Re: NAS system for editing between 2 workstations
            Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I'm sure that Haarm Millard will give you a more articulate reply, but NAS drives just don't have the transfer speeds or bandwidth required for video editing.  

The very minimum spec is for 7200 rpm drives, and for many formats now, it's raid-0. 

How about an external esata raid-0 such as the G-Raid Micro.  Just hot swap it between the two units.

• 3. Re: NAS system for editing between 2 workstations
              Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Well, I'll be dipped in dogs**t.  He beat me to it ;-)

See - I told you.

Oops - and  I put the double "aa" in the wrong place!  Sorry.

• 4. Re: NAS system for editing between 2 workstations
                josephs51576386 Level 3

For me personally I'd just buy a mediasonic enclosure that can hold 4 sata drives, then purchase 4 1TB 7200RPM drives. Then hook it it up using e-sata and run it in Raid-5 so you have the speed of raid-0 but you also have data security. It would cost you around $500usd for everything and you guys could just hot-swap between the two units. Just like Jon mentioned.

• 5. Re: NAS system for editing between 2 workstations
                  JEShort01 Level 4

Bradley,

Put a fast, large cache controller w/ lots of drives in one of the PCs. I used a 4GB cache Areca model w/ 8 x 1TB drives.

Also on that PC, you would probably be best off with a fast quad-core (or better) Intel cpu and at least 24GB of RAM. (and Win7 Pro, Enterprise, or Ultimate)

And on each PC, have additional drives for scratch, cache, and render outputs.

I've actually played with somthing like this setup and it works remarkbly well. I don't believe that Adobe supports running this way - "over a network".

Why is this cheaper and easier than NAS, SAN, etc.? Because you only need to go across the 1Gbit LAN from a single PC to another single PC which helps eliminate "shared" access performance.

Why not connected storage like others are mentioning? Because you both need to work on different projects at the same time.

Regards,

Jim

---

moderator - should this be moved to HW forum?