6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 10:56 AM by kglad

how many flv loaded simultaneously?

fabec Level 1

hello,

one important point concerning my question is that all flv files mentioned are local, so there is no downloading delays involved.

i am writting a demo multicamera application that basically allows you to switch between different camera views of the same subject: there are 5 flv files: one with four views together in a mosaic (done in editing and exported as one single flv file) plus one flv per each of the 4 views.

the very simple interface allows you to move from any view to the others, including the mosaic view, in such a way that when one view is opened, the video starts playing at the same moment in time that you where when you clicked in the previous screen. 

there will never be more than one flv file playing simultaneously, there will be others loaded and paused, but only one playing at a time.

since i have no downloading, my biggest concern is RAM and CPU ussage. i am using three video objects, one to hold the multicam flv and two for two possible single cam videos. my question is as follows: what would be more time and ressources consuming, having the three videos "permanently loaded but paused" (that is a NetConnection open and a NetStream loaded with a clip in pause state) or opening, loading and launching the video at each request?

thank you very much in advance,

josé

• 1. Re: how many flv loaded simultaneously?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

the least amount of local resources would be used by having one netstream instance and switching the stream when desired.  because those streams are downloading so there will be a (brief) delay when switching.

if that delay is not acceptable then you have to do what you're currently doing with multiple netstream instances so you can switch among any of the paused instances.

• 2. Re: how many flv loaded simultaneously?
            fabec Level 1

thanks, kglad for a fast answer.  a brief delay is acceptable, only if not brief enough, it could be confusing for the user.  i've been monitoring RAM usage for flashplayer and what seems to demand the most of it is having more than one file playing at a time or scrubbing along the timeline. video files are 720p encoded @ +/-5MBs.

your solution is the simplest one, which normally implies it will be the most efficient.  i will have to, at least, try both.

thanks!

• 3. Re: how many flv loaded simultaneously?
              fabec Level 1

just finished testing with just one video object one netconnection and one netstream and since the files are (and will be for the final demo and app) local, there is no distinguishable delay when I load them and switching between videos bearly increases RAM or CPU use, so, yes! one single object for all flv's is the best solution.  thanks again, kglad, for putting me back on the simplicity track!

• 4. Re: how many flv loaded simultaneously?

there's no flash or blink as you change from one flv to another?  i would expect there would be because harddrive access is not instant, at least, not with my harddrive.

in any case, you're welcome.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: how many flv loaded simultaneously?
                  fabec Level 1

no, no flash nor blink, just a slight freeze which is acceptable since it coincides with the image changing moment and is not distracting and almost unnoticeable.

• 6. Re: how many flv loaded simultaneously?

that's good to hear.