7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2012 1:35 PM by lsk2002

Table of Contents in color

lsk2002 Level 1

I am working on a parts catalog with 32 sections. There will be 16 colors for tabs and section text which I will repeat for the next 16 sections.

What I need to happen, is for each section int the table of contents to be the color used for that section.

Section

Sub-section………………………………………………………………………………………….pg num.

Ect……      ………………………………………………………………………………………….pg num

Section

Ect…..       ………………………………………………………………………………………….pg num.

Do I have to set up a separate section/sectiontoc and subsection/subsectiontoc para format for every color? I was hoping maybe there was an "AS is" so that it would just automatically print in the color that it is set up in.

Thanks!

ls

• 1. Re: Table of Contents in color
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You'd also need to have your different sections as different paragraph styles.

Then you'd map the Paragraph Style of the Section to the TOC Section Colour style.

Does that make sense?

So you'd have to go through each section and create a New heading style for each section and apply it.

Then you'd need several TOC section styles.

You then map the New heading to the TOC section in the TOC dialog box.

• 2. Re: Table of Contents in color
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You'll need a "generic" base style for each paragraph style that will be included in the TOC, then 16 (is that the number of different colors?) paragraph styles based on each of those that does nothing but change the character color. These are the styles you'll actually use inthe document, and that you'll include in the the TOC.

• 3. Re: Table of Contents in color
              lsk2002 Level 1

lol...that is kind of what I was afraid of.....oh well...glad I have formated but 9 sections!!! I am using EasyCatalog and libraries for each color.

As far as the "generic" base style....are you saying I don't have to ave both para and paratoc's for each color?

Thanks a bunch!!!

ls

• 4. Re: Table of Contents in color
                lsk2002 Level 1

OH wow!! OK we have changed what we want, which I thought would be much easier, but it isn't working out. I want the section in color and the subsections in black.

I have tried making a subsection para and using a different character style (for color) on each,  and then a subsectiontoc generic using black as the color, but the toc still comes out in color.

When I try making separate subsections paras for every color and a subsectiontoc generic using black, the toc comes up in color and each are indented as I knew it would be when I was doing it

Why is it not taking my subsection generic using black for the toc?

Thanks!!!! I really need to get this done.....

• 5. Re: Table of Contents in color

Im saying you don't need separate TOCs for each section unless you want them, and that if the only differnce betweenthe paragraph styles from section to section is the color of the text you should base all the ones you use on a "master" style that you can edit (but don't need to apply to any text) so there's only one palce you need to make a change to font or size or the like if you change your mind later about what the style should be. If each section uses styles based on the master style, then the TOC needs to include each of the "section" styles, and (and I probably forgot to mention this) you'll need to do a similar based on system for applying styles to the listings again basing themn al ona master style and changing only the color. I think that's what Eugene was saying, but he didn't go into a lot of detail.

So, you would want "master heading style" and based on that section 1 heading, section 2 heading, and so forth. In the TOC itself you'll include each of those styles. To format the listings in the TOC you create "master listing style" then section one listing, section 2 listing, and so on. Apply section 1 listing style to Section 1 heading text, Section 2 listing style to Section 2 heading text, and so on.

• 6. Re: Table of Contents in color

lsk2002 wrote:

Why is it not taking my subsection generic using black for the toc?

This is probably a case of you haven't defined special styles for the TOC listings. You can use the same style as in the body of the book, but then you are stuck with whatever that style is. If you define new styles your lisitngs can have any appearance you want. If all subsections should be black, you only need one style for them.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Table of Contents in color
                      lsk2002 Level 1

Sorry for not responding earlier. I really didn't understand the master style part of what you were saying but I have used some of the advice and cheated a little to get what I need.

Thanks for the responses!!!

ls