9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2012 7:58 PM by Taverino

Spanned Long-Recording HDV .m2t video files do not join properly on Import (PPro cs6, Sony z5+Mrc1k)

ck536

I have a problem seamlessly joining Sony HDV video files recorded with sony z5 camera and mrc1k recording unit containing spanned clips of long-duration recordings.  this is a copy of my bug report.  If you have any information, please contribute to this thread.  Have other users seen similar problems?

Model Name:          Mac Pro

Model Identifier:          MacPro5,1

Processor Name:          Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed:          2.4 GHz

Number of Processors:          2

Total Number of Cores:          8

L2 Cache (per Core):          256 KB

L3 Cache (per Processor):          12 MB

Memory:          8 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed:          5.86 GT/s

Boot ROM Version:          MP51.007F.B03

SMC Version (system):          1.39f11

SMC Version (processor tray):          1.39f11

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipset Model:          ATI Radeon HD 5770

Type:          GPU

Bus:          PCIe

Slot:          Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width:          x16

VRAM (Total):          1024 MB

Vendor:          ATI (0x1002)

Device ID:          0x68b8

Revision ID:          0x0000

ROM Revision:          113-C0160C-155

EFI Driver Version:          01.00.436

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. Record long video clips on mrc1k recording unit cf card so that clips will be split into multiple sections due to fat32 filesystem.

2. Clone disk image of card on to computer's backup hard drive using Disk Utility.

3. Copy contents of card image on to editing drive array.

4. navigate to folder containing media using premiere pro media browser, card is recognized as "Sony HDV".  Single recording is represented by multiple clips of about 21:42:28 in length.

5. Import media, wait for indexing and conforming to complete.

Results: Video clips are shown as separate video files.  Upon importing these multiple files and arranging them in a timeline, there are one-frame audio dropouts between gaps in the files.  This is unacceptable for long-form non-repeatable event shooting.

Expected results: The video files should be recognized in the media browser as a single spanned clip with no audio dropouts in-between file gaps.  I should be able to drop these clips into my timeline with no degradations.

Here at Cornell University we have been using our z5 camera to shoot non-repeatable events with long-recording times (Usually lectures, seminars, long-winded academic speeches).  We had previously been able to use final cut pro to ingest our media, but are switching to premiere pro in an attempt to simplify our workflow.  Alas, I still have to use final cut pro or clipwrap to fix the problem with our media.  If you have any guidance, please contact me at ck536@cornell.edu.  Thank you!