19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2012 7:47 AM by zikade

Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut

lisaellensegal Level 1

I am working on a project where I will get the raw footage, do a rough edit and then pass the footage on to another filmmaker who works in final cut pro.  What is the most logical way for us to work together on this with the least amount of quality loss?  We are starting with HD footage.

• 1. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>starting with HD footage

Which codec?

Are you both Mac, or one Windows and one Mac?

• 2. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
            lisaellensegal Level 1

I am sorry, I am working on a PC.  The footage is being shot with a Canon Vixia S20.  I can output it any codec that makes the most sense.  Sorry for the lack of information in my first post.  Thansk for the reply.

• 3. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A google on that camera results in the codec... AVCHD

Since I have a Canon Vixia HFS100 which produces AVCHD.MTS files, I will guess that is what your camera produces... correct?

I have NO experience with Mac, so hopefully someone else will chime in with ideas for a codec to use for cross platform editing

But... to not loose quality, my "best guess" is that you will want to export your work to a "lossless" codec... which will create LARGE files, so you will likely need a USB hard drive for your transfers

Do a forum search http://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa for "lossless codec" (without the " ") for previous discussions

• 4. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
                shooternz Level 6

The only logical way is to both work with the original source footage and EDLs.

Apart from that... I dont understand working  the cross platform ..cross application logic and the giref it will bring you both.

• 5. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
                  josephs51576386 Level 3

I don't know how this will work for you but I have had luck simply exporting the projects I've worked on as XML files and then giving them to my friend who uses final cut on a external hard drive.

However if you want to export it to some sort of "lossless codec" that will work well on MAC. Then I'd probably go with Quicktime then select "PNG" for the codec choice, it will create a large file but it will be much smaller than if you go with the "None" codec option for Quicktime which is a uncompressed quicktime choice. Basically "png" is compressed but doesn't lose any quality anyways. However I'd personally export the project as a XML file but that's just my opinion.Especially when you consider that you're only doing a "basic edit" anyways which means there shouldn't be any translation issues when your friend opens the XML project your exported up in final cut.

• 6. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
                    lisaellensegal Level 1

The reason that we are working cross platform is due to the fact that I work on a pc and my colleague works on a MAC.  She is looking to me to help shorten  her editing time.  One other question that I have is the external hard drive compatiblilty issue.  I see others suggest keeping the original footage and export EDLs.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
                      josephs51576386 Level 3

The only thing you need to keep in mind with the external HD is that the person using the MAC will have to have one of the programs for MACs that is required in order to read NTFS HDD's. Unless you make it FAT32 in which case you won't be able to put files bigger than 4Gb on it. Or you could buy Mac Drive for PC which allows you use HFS+ drives.

As far as the plan with the EDL's that's fine either that or XML's will work just the same. At the TV station where I work we used both EDL's and XMLs back when we still had some MAC edit bays in the building. However luckily we went Premiere only now so I don't have to worry about making stuff work for "everyone else". Really makes life much easier. However I realize your pain since we used to have several final cut pro users where I work as well.

• 8. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
                        lisaellensegal Level 1

I am still having trouble with imorting my PPro CS5 project into FCP 7.  All seems easy enough with the Adobe portion - I am exporting the project with Export/Final Cut Pro XML option (I have my media files on an external hard drive on my computer - just an FYI).  We then took the project to FCP 7, logged and transferred the footage and then imported the project.  I see the timeline with the basic framework correct, but the media is offline.  We are unable to reconnect the media.  Is there a good tutorial online?  I've tried youtube etc.  I realize that this is an Adobe forum, but any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks so much

P.S.  I am NOT worried about transitions or other edits translating to FCP.  I am just doing a very basic edit.

• 9. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
                          Jim Curtis Level 3

the basic framework correct, but the media is offline.  We are unable to reconnect the media. 

What did you do to try to reconnect the media?  Seems like you're nearly there.  IINM, you can force FCP7 to connect to a file that doesn't have the same characteristics of the original (the default behavior).  There's a checkbox you can uncheck; something about "only use same file name" or something to that effect.

BTW, ComputerNovice, Mac OSX will read NTFS natively, but if you want to write to an NTFS drive, you need a third-party extension.

• 10. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
                            SimonHy Level 2

lisaellensegal wrote:

I am still having trouble with imorting my PPro CS5 project into FCP 7.  All seems easy enough with the Adobe portion - I am exporting the project with Export/Final Cut Pro XML option (I have my media files on an external hard drive on my computer - just an FYI).  We then took the project to FCP 7, logged and transferred the footage and then imported the project.  I see the timeline with the basic framework correct, but the media is offline.  We are unable to reconnect the media.  Is there a good tutorial online?  I've tried youtube etc.  I realize that this is an Adobe forum, but any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks so much

P.S.  I am NOT worried about transitions or other edits translating to FCP.  I am just doing a very basic edit.

Did you end up transcoding the footage before exporting to FCP, or are you working with the native .mts files? Final Cut won't read .mts media.

You could use something like ClipWrap to turn them into .movs without losing quality.

• 11. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

What is the most logical way for us to work together on this with the least amount of quality loss?

Have the other editor upgrade from FCP to CS6.

• 12. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
                                zikade Level 2

Welcome to the wonderful world of cross-platform editing. Probably a bit late now, but here's the easiest way you could have done that:

1.) using AME to transcode all the footage you plan to use to, let's say, QuickTime using something like the Avid DNxHD codec, which is availavle for both systems. Get a coffee, or rather lots of them while you're waiting.

2.) edit your sequence

3.) export it using PPro's FCP-XML export (Note that PPro does indeed export your entire project that way, not only the sequence you want to export; might be better to clean it up first.)

4.) using the project manager - which I hope does live up to its name in a future itearation of PPro - copy your project and its footage to the external drive. If you are having Windows 7 and the Mac has at least 10.6.8, you could exFat as its filesystem.

5.) import the XML to FCP and using its much, much better project manager for reconnecting and/or moving the footag.

If you really, really want to get headaches, try it the other way round where the FCP editor is using proxy footage....

• 13. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
                                  lisaellensegal Level 1

Not too late at all.  The agency that is delivering the footage did exactly what you suggested.  Thanks for your time and your answer.

Lisa

• 15. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
                                    lisaellensegal Level 1

one question, I can't find teh "Avid DNxHD codec".  I assumed that I should choose format:  QuickTime  Video Codec:  ?

Can you help?

Thanks,

Lisa

• 16. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
                                      zikade Level 2

Sure thing, the latest appears to be 2.3.7, available since the release of MC6 last autumn. Look here:

Avid Codecs 2.3.7 Download

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 18. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
                                        lisaellensegal Level 1

Quality is not so good.  Any suggestions?

• 19. Re: Logical workflow to edit ppro and move to final cut
                                          zikade Level 2

Tons. Which, ahem, flavour did you use? DNxHD is not just ONE codec, it's a small army of codecs. In AME, you select Avid DNxHD and directly below you find a button labeled codec settings. Press this and you'll get something similar to this:

Bildschirmfoto 2012-06-26 um 16.36.05.png
                                          I recommend using RGB levels, otherwise your clips may look weird - it shifts the gamma and adjust the colour space. Next, choose your desired resolution in the resolutions drop-down.
                                          You'll see spatial resolution first, then framerate, Bitrate, Color resolution. The higher the bitrate, the better the picture quality. for 1080p/25 - which is the resolution I use very often - I would choose either the 1080p/25 DNxHD 185 8-Bit, or, if I'm transcoding from RED for example, 1080p/25 DnxHD 444 10-Bit. It really depends on the source.
                                          HTH