3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2012 6:02 PM by Andrew Yoole

CC Tiling Pre Comp?

quinnygoth Level 1

Hello everybody.

I'm making a music video in which the audience is taken through a "vortex" like tunnel in space. Similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwjfrAn0hnA

However, in my video the tunnel is made up of 10 audio waveforms that respond to the music. This is how I've approached the project so far...

I made a wave form with the built in "Audio Waveform" feature. I precomposed the waveform and the song. I made a new comp and duplicated the waveform ten times across the comp and disabled the audio on all but one of these pre comps. I pre composed all ten layers and made another new comp.

So, it looks like this New Comp With Pre Composed Wavesforms  > Ten Waveforms > Original Waveform

In the new comp I applied the CC Cylinder effect and using this created the "vortex".

This is the way I made the vortex http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuOOyZxsTLo

Here comes my problem. The built in waveform generater can only make wave forms about 150 pixels long. I thought I'd apply the CC Tile feature to the original wave form and set the output height to as high as it needed to be to last the whole song. However, the CC Tile feature only goes up to 2000 pixels, which, after I apply a 3D camera and make it travel through the vortex at the speed I want it to go, only equates to about 20 seconds. The song is 3 minutes.

I originally tried adding the CC Tile feature to the Precomposed Waveforms but the effect doesn't seem to work on precomps. I then tried it with the original waveform and that's when I discovered what I've just explained.

Can anybody help me out? Any ideas are welcome because I'm really stuck here.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: CC Tiling Pre Comp?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What do you mean by "The built in waveform generater can only make wave forms about 150 pixels long"?

This isn't correct.  The Waveform Generator is only limited by the size of the layer it's applied to.  If it's limited to 150 pixels, you must have applied it to a solid/layer that is 150 pixels. 

Create a much larger solid and redifine your waveform length.

• 2. Re: CC Tiling Pre Comp?
            quinnygoth Level 1

Wow. Your right. That's really strange and really annoying too. I initially made the layer with the waveform on 10,000 pixels in height. I tried making the waveform that length too but it wouldn't work. Now it does. Hmm, it must have been a glitch at the time. Urgh! Aggravating to say the least!

Thanks though. This project should be a hell of a lot easier now!

• 3. Re: CC Tiling Pre Comp?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No problem.  I'd recommend using smaller layers than 10,000 pixels, however, unless you have a killer machine with tons of RAM.  I'd probably limit layers to 4000 pixels long, to keep your project manageable.

1 person found this helpful