15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 10:50 AM by Black-Hat

path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?

Black-Hat

Hi everybody. First of all: Sorry for my english, but I hope someone can understanding me.

Well, I want to work with Fireworks in the future because I think that this programm keep in some situation more efficience as Photoshop... So I was trying to learn how this programm is working.

Since some days I make some experiments with Path's, because I like to work with Illustrator as well. But now, I am still going crazy because I don't understanding 2 options. I don't know the english names but In the path palette does they have this Icons:

pfade.jpg

The first option (Pfade teilen) is "path share" and the second one (Pfade ausschließen) is free translate "path exclude"

My question is: When I can use this 2 Options? I really did everything but nothing was working

• 1. Re: path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?
          groove25 Level 4

Here are a few tips:

• The first option, Split Paths (a.k.a. Pfade teilen), works just like the Split command in Fireworks' Modify > Combine Paths menu. It reverses the effects of a previous Join Paths operation; that is, it takes a composite path and splits it into its component paths. (So to see any effect, you need to apply it to a Composite Path.) The Join Paths option is located just to the left of Split Paths within the Paths panel, so apply that option first, and then try the Split Paths option.
          • The second option, Exclude Paths (a.k.a. Pfade ausschließen), works on simple paths and removes their overlapping areas. The trick here is that if you're applying it to a selection that includes a rectangle, you'll need to click twice: Once to convert the rectangle to a simple path, and then again to perform the path operation.

Rectangles are a special type of shape: They can be quickly resized by dragging on corner points, or rounded using the Properties inspector. However, they often need to be converted to simple paths (using the Modify > Ungroup command) to perform other vector operations. Similarly, if you attempted to apply Exclude Paths to a "grouped" selection of objects, you'd need to click on the Exclude Paths option more than once—the first click would serve to ungroup the objects.

I hope this helps. Incidentally, the Paths panel was created by developer Aaron Beall, who's created many other interesting and useful extensions for Fireworks:

http://fireworks.abeall.com/

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?
            Black-Hat Level 1

Alright! First of all: Thank you very much for your answer. The first hint was very easy to follow and it's in the end that, what you had wrote.

The second Hint well.... I think my english is a little bit to bad, so can't realise the second part, exactly the convert part: "Once to convert the rectangle to a simple path"

I did something like this now:

adobe.jpg

So, how can I convert the rectangle to a simple path? - I understand this like to get the minimal number of Pathpoints, but that is not right I think

• 3. Re: path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?
              groove25 Level 4

To convert a rectangle to a path, you can choose Modify > Ungroup.

To use the Exclude Paths (Pfade ausschließen) option in the Paths panel—as in your graphic—select both rectangles and click twice on the Exclude Paths option: The first click will ungroup the rectangles, the second click will perform the "exclude paths" operation.

You don't need to do both of these things. The first suggestion is a general one, intended to help explain why you need to click twice on the Exclude Paths option when applying it to rectangles.

• 4. Re: path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?
                Black-Hat Level 1

Like this? (It's an animates Gif, so you have click on the thumbnail)

Unbenannt-2.gif

I know, the first click was needless, because they wasn't actually grouped. But No matter if they are grouped or not:the second click don't perform the "exclude paths" operation. x.x

• 5. Re: path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?
                  groove25 Level 4

Two questions:

• Will it work if you try two circles instead of two rectangles?
                  • Does "Divide Paths" work? This is the option immediately to the left of Exclude Paths (Pfade ausschließen).

I'm just now noticing that Divide Paths doesn't work on rectangles but does work on circles (which are simple paths). These may be bugs that need to be submitted to Adobe or to the developer.

One more question: What version of Fireworks are you using (and what platform)?

• 6. Re: path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?
                    Black-Hat Level 1

Well dude, you don't know actually how much assuaged I am now, as I read "I'm just now noticing that Divide Paths doesn't work on rectangles". Because, I know my english is extrem horrible and when I am still have to talk about technical things (and general xD), so I am extrem arguable when I have to...

Well: It doesn't work when I have use Circles. No matter what kind of Pathforms I use, it doen't work .__.

And the Option left of the "Exclude Path" works.

And I am still Using Fireworks CS6, Version 12.0.0.236, WIN, 7, 64 Bit, SP 1

• 7. Re: path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?
                      groove25 Level 4

Thanks for posting about this issue! I've taken a look at the "Combine Paths" operations in the Paths panel in both Fireworks CS6 and CS5 on my Mac, and noticed several bugs. Between you and I, here's a summary of what we've found:

Fireworks CS6, Version 12.0.0.236, WIN, 7, 64 Bit, SP 1

Exclude Paths - Does not work.

Fireworks CS6, Version 12.0.0.236, Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

Divide Paths - No effect on rectangles.

Exclude Paths - Requires 2 clicks for rectangles - one to ungroup rectangles and another to apply path operation.

Fireworks CS5, Version 11.1.0.205, Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

Divide Paths - Works like Exclude Paths.

Undo - Deletes previous unrelated non-path operation. For example:

1. Draw two ellipses.
                      2. Draw a rectangle.
                      3. Select two ellipses and apply Combine Paths operation.
                      4. Undo (Command-Z).
                      5. The rectangle disappears!

You can submit a bug report to Adobe about the "Exclude Paths" issue, and include the URL for this discussion within your report:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

In the meantime, I'm going to send an e-mail to the developer about these issues. I know that he's working on a fix for another problem with this panel and planning on releasing a fix at some point, so hopefully these issues can get fixed as well.

Again, thanks for being so persistent. It is challenging to understand your writing at times; however, the animated GIF was very helpful—and very well done. Have you tried composing your posts in your native language and then using something like Google Translate to convert it to English? I don't know if the results would be better; it's just an idea.

• 8. Re: path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?
                        Black-Hat Level 1

... Damn. X'D Okay extrem nice to know . It seems general that "my" CS6 have a lot of Bugs. For example: the Import of AI-files.

Well I had contact Adobe now :3 thank you very much for the link

And well.. I know myself. I'm not the brightest candle on the birthday cake, but I am very creative to found ways to achieve my goal :3. I am very extremly sorry that you had read this, and thank you very much, that you had accepted the challenge

And no... I didn't use the google translater. I translated just some words when I had didn't know them on http://dict.leo.org/... but... if we both are honest: the results can't be worse than that, what I had wrote here X'D

• 9. Re: path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?
                          abeall Level 3

It's a good point that the commands handle rectangle primitives inconsistently. Some commands will automatically convert rectangle primitives to path, while others won't, and that can be confusing. I think the best solution would be to go through all the commands and make them all auto-convert rectangle primitives to paths, which would probably be the most intuitive behavior.

Aaron Beall

http://fireworks.abeall.com

• 10. Re: path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?
                            groove25 Level 4

The CS5 version of Exclude Paths handles this automatically—so I imagined that a bug must have crept in to disrupt that.

(It took me a while to realize there was a problem with the CS6 version. I hadn't used the Path panel recently, so I thought two clicks was the normal behavior at first. And as it turns out, that command seems to be broken entirely in Windows, according to Black-Hat.)

• 11. Re: path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?
                              Black-Hat Level 1

General: the CS6 Version has a lot minimal bugs, I think

• 13. Re: path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?
                                Black-Hat Level 1

Well I use Fireworks CS6, Version 12.0.0.236, WIN, 7, 64 Bit, SP 1. 

-> If you Import a Illustrator datei, so it will open a Window, where you can decide on "Dateikonvertierung" (file Conversion, middle of the left window), how the Path should be imported.)

The first 2 option have the same effect.

Option 1:

http://h12.abload.de/img/034guon.jpg

Option 2:

http://h12.abload.de/img/04viubb.jpg

-> By the "Photoshop Live Effects" Category "Drop Shadow" don't works the "Ebene spart Schatten aus" Checkbox. If I read right on the Adobe help side, so controls this checkbox the behavior of the Shadow, when the Filling is for example filled with a 35%-transparent-colour. Nothing at all happen.
                                adobe.jpg

I don't found more bugs, but I works since 1 1/2 weeks with this program xD.

• 14. Re: path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?
                                  abeall Level 3

I just posted an update that should improve the handling of rectangle primitives in regards to Exlcude Paths and Divide Paths, as well as some other commands not mentioned in this thread. You can get it here:

http://fireworks.abeall.com/extensions/panels/Path/

(If you installed the extension from the website already, you can just open Extension Manager and update the extension from there.)

Cheers!

Aaron Beall

http://fireworks.abeall.com

• 15. Re: path palette: What's wrong with "path share" and "path exclude"?
                                    Black-Hat Level 1

Yeay That rocks. Thank you very much <3

Prost