3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 9:03 AM by McFrisco

Ram Preview Flicker Glitch

Kestelia

Hi there!

Whenever I ram preview after adjusting a keyframe, the ram preview doesn't fully update the changes. When it plays back, it glitches like it's jumping between old and new frames.

Now I'm working with a guy that uses the animation presets within after effects, this error pops up more in these effects.

Not sure if that is what this error is called, but it is significantly slowing my workflow and making it impossible to work.

I recently subscribed to Creative Cloud and downloaded CS6 on a newly upgraded machine.

The version of After Effects I have installed is: 11.0.1.12 (All current updates are installed)

Here are the specs of my MacPro:

Processor 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory: 16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

I first tried to turn off multi-processing to see if this would fix the problem (Prior to that I have been Purging my ram, but it only sometimes works, then after making a new adjustment the same error would happen again.)

Here are some of the current settings in After Effects:

Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 11.09.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 11.08.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 11.08.01 AM.png

One red flag I noticed was the GPU information. Am I missing drivers for this video card? Or is it so old CS6 doesn't support this card? Could it be causing the issue?

Here is an example of the animation so you can see exactly what it's causing in the render: (Please excuse the horrible colors.. not the designer, just the animator. )

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a deadline to reach by tomorrow night. Eh heh...

• 1. Re: Ram Preview Flicker Glitch
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try flushing your cache and purging all image caches from the menus and preferences panel. I'm not sure what the animation is supposed to look like, but to me it looks like some kind of displacement or particle technique on the Origin text and an animated scale and opacity of the arrow. Looks fine to me. Plays back smoothly. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for.

• 2. Re: Ram Preview Flicker Glitch
            Kestelia Level 1

At the begining of the animation, the preset animation called "Card Wipe - 3D Pixelstorm" It repeats after a few frames, I went ahead and rendered it out a couple seconds before so you can see the correct animation (x-axis/y-axis) vs. the Origin layer.

Before I did clean out the disck cache to see if this would also fix the error. It did not. Also a wierd thing, whenever I move a key frame, the green bar on top doesn't dissapear.

Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 1.05.29 PM.png

I would have to turn off the eye icon Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 1.04.45 PM.png (the visual part of the layer) to make the green bar disappear.

Sorry about the previous example, from that perspective I suppose it wouldn't really show the error. Thanks for the advice though.

Any other suggestions?

• 3. Re: Ram Preview Flicker Glitch
              McFrisco Level 1

It looks like you don't have your renderer set to use the GPU.  ITs using the CPU.

Is this option available to you?  IF you don't, it may be that your card is not on the list of supported cards.  You can add it.

Read this article for instructions:

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/AfterEffects.htm

I'm having similar problems on a PC with a GeForce 580. (on Windows 7 system)  I don't think its the card because the same problem was visible with my old card, a punky littke GeForce 8500GT.  Something else is going on and I can't work either...