6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 8:59 PM by Jim_Simon

a way to adjust audio when capturing video?

cmcenerney

I transfered some video/audio and am having distortion in some audio.

The original audio does not peak and when I captured it in Premiere CS6, it is not peaking out, but when I play back, I can hear occasional distortion. The video is up at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNNgJiZMrRA

Does this sound like it is overmodulating or is something else happening?

Is there a way to adjust audio when capturing audio or is it a straight feed? Wondering if I can lower the audio input to try to fix.

thanks in advance for your help,

Charlie

• 1. Re: a way to adjust audio when capturing video?
          josephs51576386 Level 3

How are you capturing the content? Because in my experince premiere doesn't have a way to adjust the audio levels of what your capturing. However if you post how you are capturing the footage in more detail I might be able to help. Please tell me exactly how you have everything hooked up.

For example if you have the camera hooked straight to the computer or if you're using a capture card if so what kind. Some capture cards have audio gain settings which might be causing the issue. Also some decks and cameras have audio playback volume settings which can also cause audio to be sent to premiere louder than what it started as. So if you give more detail I may be able to offer some sort of help.

One thing you might try though to remove that distortion is too add a lowpass filter to the audio, and start off by setting the low pass filter to like 3000 and just adjust by 500 up or down from there until the distortion goes away. I've had to do this in the past with audio that's distorted before. (Although I haven't experinced the specific issue you're experincing before.) Although it will make the persons voice sound  muffled it will take most of the distortion out. Which getting rid  of distortion at the cost of making it sound somewhat muffled is a decent trade off if worse comes to worse and you can't get the issue figured out. 

• 2. Re: a way to adjust audio when capturing video?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I hear some audio glitches, but that's not overmodulation.  I'd look to other causes.

• 3. Re: a way to adjust audio when capturing video?
              josephs51576386 Level 3

Wanted to add something I forgot to ask earlier, when you watch the video from your device, if I'm understand correctly your saying it isn't distorting when you play it before capturing it right? Because I realize you said it doesnt "peak", and I wanted to ask if you where using a wireless lapel when you filmed that or not. Because if  you were it is possible for the audio to peak out on the lapels reciever even though on the actual record deck or camera it isn't actually peaking out.

For example in the studio where I work all our lapels have volume controls on the pack itself and if the volume gain on the mic itself is turned up to high it can cause your audio to peak before it gets to your record device/mixer. So even though your audio is way below peaking levels on the record device it ends up not mattering since it already peaked/clipped on the reciever itself before it arrived to the recording device, and honestly it kind of sounds like the audio from the video was clipping.

So this might  be the case depending on if you're saying the audio is or isn't distorted sounding when you listen to it before capuring it as a digtal file to premiere.

• 4. Re: a way to adjust audio when capturing video?
                cmcenerney Level 1

Hi; thanks for your post. I have a Canon HD cam (Vixia HF200) going into a Matrox MX0 2 ( http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2_mini/ ) then through a Thunderbolt cable into a MacBook Pro running 10.7.4. I'm capturing the video on Adobe's Premiere Pro in Creative Suite 6 (just installed).

I have all the correct Matrox drivers installed.

I rerecorded the video and it's still happening.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated! I am not usually put off by tech stuff, but this one has me plain confused! ; )

thanks, Charlie

• 5. Re: a way to adjust audio when capturing video?
                  josephs51576386 Level 3

Does it do this when you capture anything or just this specific clip?

• 6. Re: a way to adjust audio when capturing video?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I have a Canon Vixia HF200 going into a Matrox MX0 2, http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2_mini/then through a Thunderbolt cable into a MacBook Pro. I'm capturing the video on Adobe's Premiere Pro in Creative Suite 6.

Why?  The Vixia is a solid state camera.  You don't need to capture.  Just put the SD card into your rig, or hook up the camera via USB, and copy the media to your hard drive, bypassing the Matrox.