7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2012 2:49 PM by Harm Millaard

Re: Cubix Xpander and CS5.5 / CS6

ectobuilder50 Level 1

How does CS5.5 and CS6 (if different) take advantage of the Cubix Xpander?

If at all?

One of the Cubix Xpanders can hold up to 4 x Graphics Cards or Tesla Cards.

Note that I am using Windows.

• 1. Re: Cubix Xpander and CS5.5 / CS6
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I guess not. PR CS5.5 and CS6 only support a single GPU, no SLI and no dual GPU. The only exception is the Maximus configuration, a Quadro plus a Tesla C2075 card and you don't need to spend additional money on a Cubix GPU Xpander, since both cards fit on most of the X79 boards.

BTW, I'm curious to see if the extravagantly expensive Maximus configuration performs any better than a simple GTX 680, that costs only a fraction of the price.

• 2. Re: Cubix Xpander and CS5.5 / CS6
            ectobuilder50 Level 1

Cubix's website says "GPU-Xpander is an ideal hardware add-on product for CS5 because:".  So I was wondering how this is so?

http://www.cubixgpu.com/Solutions/Overview?PHPSESSID=zbjeailjh

Also, with regards to your question of GTX 680 vs Maximus, the only issue here is that "system smoothness" is not quantifiable.

It may not have the top-line rendering performance, but a Maximus system may allow you to scrub the timeline smoother with a bunch of effects  for instance.

• 3. Re: Cubix Xpander and CS5.5 / CS6
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Till proven wrong by test results from Adobe, I consider Maximus a huge marketing hype and only a solution for companies with unlimited budgets (few of them around anymore, due to the financial crisis) and individuals like Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, with hugely deep pockets.

Why?

Simple, a Quadro 6000 for a meager € 3900 does not perform any better than a GTX 470 for € 237.

Adding a Tesla card for only € 2300 to the equation means that the Quadro 6000 is no longer used for hardware acceleration, that is a role solely for the Tesla card and the number of cores (448) on the Tesla card are the same as a Quadro 6000, the memory bandwidth is the same @ 144 GB/s. Therefore it is to be expected that a C2075 card will not perform any better than a single Quadro 6000 or a single GTX 470 for that matter.

Both cores and memory bandwidth are far less than a GTX 680.

What do you prefer, a € 6200 solution or a € 550 solution with better performance than Maximus. Only for bragging rights?

Scrubbing smoothness is mainly dependent on disk I/O, CPU and to a lesser extent on memory. If your system already has two raid arrays, capable of sustained transfer rates of 1 GB/s+ each, 6+ cores with 15+ MB L3 cache running @ 4.x GHz and at least 64 GB RAM, you will have smooth scrubbing.

• 4. Re: Cubix Xpander and CS5.5 / CS6
                ectobuilder50 Level 1

Are you familiar with the way Premiere Pro CS5.5.2 / CS6 utilizes RAM?

What data/operation do they copy into RAM and when is this done?

• 5. Re: Cubix Xpander and CS5.5 / CS6
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

No. I can make guesses, but that does not help. Let me show you why I consider Maximus a marketing hype. In the Benchmark Results there are at least two systems in the Maximus configuration, one using a Quadro 4000 + Tesla C2075 configuration, 'BasicDiskConf2075' currently at rank #83 and the other using a Quadro 2000 + Tesla C2075 configuration, 'Studio i7 Q2000D TC' currently at rank #108. That is not very promising I think. Even my old GTX 480 does better in the MPE On results.

• 6. Re: Cubix Xpander and CS5.5 / CS6
                    ectobuilder50 Level 1

I don't see them listed as having Maximus.  Where do I look?

• 7. Re: Cubix Xpander and CS5.5 / CS6
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

You don't see them listed, because I limited the length of the field in our SQL database and it does not show up. However I manually checked each submission form and these are the two entries we currently have with a Maximus configuration. In a somewhat hidden way you can derive that from the Computer ID used.

I looked both records up and added the video configuration in my earlier post for your information..