6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2012 11:08 PM by NY2LA

Keeping Two Copies of Original Image in File

NY2LA Level 1

If I select Edit Content on a Smart Object layer, and then select Duplicate Layer, will that put two copies of the original image in the file?

I used the Place command to bring high resolution images into a canvas of a much lower resolution. I've already spent a lot of time scaling and positioning the images on the canvas. But it turns out, I would now like to do certain editing on the original pixels of the images because of their greater resolution. Of course, that defeats the purpose of Smart Objects for non-destructive editing.

But there's no reason I can't keep two copies of an original image in a file, and destructively edit only one copy, right?

• 1. Re: Keeping Two Copies of Original Image in File
          PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello,

If you target a smart Object and Select duplicate layer, you create another instance of the smart object, editing in one will be reflected in the other.

If you drag and drop it to the new document icon, you create an independent smart object. (more file size, but editing is not reflected in the other ones)

Just a thought: If you double-click on the smart object, nothing prevents you to edit it non-destructively.

• 2. Re: Keeping Two Copies of Original Image in File
            NY2LA Level 1

PECourtejoie, you lost me.

The original images (many of them, scanned in a flatbed scanner) are approximately 6000 x 6000 pixels in size (though actually with varying aspect ratios.) My canvas size in Photoshop is 720 x 528 pixels (actually in all of thirty related projects). The 720 x 528 size is for creating still images that I will later bring into a standard definition video project in Final Cut Pro X.

If I work on the smart object layers, I can only work in that 720 x 528 resolution. I've discovered that I would like to go back to the 6000 x 6000 pixels for some editing. But I also want to save a copy of those original images without editing in the files.

• 3. Re: Keeping Two Copies of Original Image in File

Sorry to have lost you.

You asked if duplicating a SO creates two files, no, it creates another copy that is parented to the original SO.

Once an image is dragged as a smart object inside a document, the SO becomes a file embedded inside that document.

If you edit the original image, changes will not show in the smart object. For that, you would need linked smart objects: http://viget.com/inspire/linked-smart-objects-in-photoshop

If you double-click the  (non-linked) SO, you will be editing the embedded 6000 px document (and not the original file). If you select save as, you could save it as an independent document.

I have to say that I'm a bit lost about "But I also want to save a copy of those original images without editing in the files."

• 4. Re: Keeping Two Copies of Original Image in File
                NY2LA Level 1

When I wrote "Duplicate Layer", I was not referring to duplicating a Smart Object layer.

I am right clicking on the Smart Object layer, and selecting Edit Contents. The message "After editing the content chose File>Save to commit the changes . . ." etc. appears, and I am clicking OK. Then I wait a second, and the layers in the lower right are replaced with one layer (not a Smart Object layer). When that layer is selected, the original image can be edited.

I think that all of have to do is right click on that layer, and select Duplicate Layer. Then two layers appear, representing two copies of the original image, I think. And then I can edit just one.

• 5. Re: Keeping Two Copies of Original Image in File

Ah, OK, I thought that you were duplicaing the SO.

Yes, that's what I said when I told you that you can edit the smart object non-destructively (keeping the original layer intact, to go back to it if necessary.

• 6. Re: Keeping Two Copies of Original Image in File
                    NY2LA Level 1

PECourtejoie wrote:

If you double-click the  (non-linked) SO, you will be editing the embedded 6000 px document (and not the original file). If you select save as, you could save it as an independent document.

Now I see that double clicking on the Smart Object does the same thing as right clicking on the Smart Object layer and selecting Edit Contents. So that helps me understand what you have been saying.

PECourtejoie wrote:

I have to say that I'm a bit lost about "But I also want to save a copy of those original images without editing in the files."

I mean that I want to save the original, unedited images embedded in the same files as the files with all the work that I am doing. I am not linking to the original image files after I use the Place command.