5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2012 3:33 PM by Curt Y

can I remove CS5 without creating a problem with CS6 Upgrade?

B J Hughes

Can I remove CS5 without creating a problem with CS6 Upgrade?

• 1. Re: can I remove CS5 without creating a problem with CS6 Upgrade?
          Curt Y Level 7

B J Hughes wrote:

Can I remove CS5 without creating a problem with CS6 Upgrade?

You can but there are many users that find file association problems and other problems when an older version is removed.  

Unless you really need the HD space it is best to leave as it its.  Unless you uninstall BEFORE you install CS6.

• 2. Re: can I remove CS5 without creating a problem with CS6 Upgrade?
            Noel Carboni Level 8

What's the worst that could happen?  Just use the "Reset associations to defaults" feature in Bridge or reinstall Photoshop CS6 if stuff goes wrong.  Installation doesn't wipe out your preferences.

But Curt's right, if you don't really need the space, it can be very handy to have the older version around still.

-Noel

• 3. Re: can I remove CS5 without creating a problem with CS6 Upgrade?
              Curt Y Level 7

Noel Carboni wrote:

What's the worst that could happen?  Just use the "Reset associations to defaults" feature in Bridge or reinstall Photoshop CS6 if stuff goes wrong.  Installation doesn't wipe out your preferences.

Noel, FYI this is not the case.  I have become the "expert" on this and had several exchanges on PM with Adobe.  They have checked it out and while not able to reproduce the problem agree that there is something going on with the uninstaller that fails, perhaps due to some other program running at same time.  So the registry gets fouled up and the file association is set to the version that was just uninstalled.  A registry change can be done, or a complete uninstall and run Adobe Script cleaner then re-install. 

Some have used CClean to fix the registry with success.  Most computer techs and Adobe agree that it may get rid of bad files, but it can also delete good files as well, so one takes a risk using it.

Using Bridge or Explorer will not change the registry.

• 4. Re: can I remove CS5 without creating a problem with CS6 Upgrade?
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Thanks for setting me straight, Curt.  I admit not to having had the problem myself nor having to correct it, so I defer to your greater experience.

I've seen others say that specifically using the "Reset associations to defaults" feature in Bridge has worked where other methods have failed, though.  That's why I mentioned that.

-Noel

• 5. Re: can I remove CS5 without creating a problem with CS6 Upgrade?
                  Curt Y Level 7

Since you have such a big presence in answering questions just thought you would want to know. 

In case you are wondering the problem lies here :

Registry, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command, and changed the (Default) from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" (so changed CS5 to CS6) - and now I see 'Adobe Photoshop CS6' in my 'Open with' list when right-clicking an image..