3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2012 1:35 PM by KJerryK

Premiere Pros cs5.5 & notebook/laptop

Hi guys

I want to buy notebook ( http://www.vobis.pl/oferta/notebooki/notebooki/uniwersalne/113906_notebook_samsung_550p7c- s01pl.aspx#tab-02 ) for editing movies

I have "Production Premium cs5.5", and i realised, that Premiere Pro requires 7200 rpm hard drive. This notebook have only 5400 rpm hard drive. I dont understand difference between 7200rpm/5400rpm/Raid-0 Can you explain it ot me?

If i will buy this notebook, Premiere pro will be not working on it, or working not  properly?

I need notebook for it "mobilness"

Sry for bad english, i'm not native speaker, and i'm still trying to improve it

Thanks for your support

• 1. Re: Premiere Pros cs5.5 & notebook/laptop
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum, however, this should probably be in he Hardware Forum. Lot's of hardware gurus over there. One of the MOD's will probably move the post there, so if it seems to disappear, go to the Hardware Forum, to find it.

As for the RPM of the HDD's, that is their speed, in Revolutions per Minute. For Video, you WILL want 7200 RPM, as the minimum, to allow adequate transfer speed.

For RAID discussions (not likely in most laptops), see this ARTICLE.

Two often recommended laptop brands are Sager and ADK.

Their downside is their price, and their power consumption, but then they can be adapted (Sager does more gaming laptops, but they adapt well) for video-editing.

Good luck,

• 2. Re: Premiere Pros cs5.5 & notebook/laptop
            Harm Millaard Level 7

You need at least two 7200 RPM SATA disks or better even three.

Video editing entails lots of traffic. Lots of traffic on a 6-lane highway goes pretty fast. The same traffic on a single lane road is damned slow, with traffic lights allowing traffic from one direction only at a time. That causes traffic jams. Laptops entail real slowdowns over desktops. With only one slow disk it will be slower than molasses in winter. Like an elderly snail hitting the brakes before cornering.

Consider a 5400 RPM disk as a car with a top speed of 54 MPH, a 7200 RPM disk as a car with a top speed of 72 MPH.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pros cs5.5 & notebook/laptop
              KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Moved to Hardware forum