7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2012 8:25 PM by dsada3223

How to chose codec after rotation

dsada3223 Level 1

Hi,

What I want to do is so simple that I would expect 1000 freeware applications with a "one-button" solution. Yet, I find myself downloading (and learning) Adobe premiere, simply to rotare a video.

After reading many articles, listening to a  Premiere tuturial and even reading 4 posts on this forum with users asking exactly how to do it, I did manage to almost get it done. But I can't seem to get the last bit proprely, so I ask for your help.

I am including the steps I took to get there, since I saw many similar questions, with few clear (and complete) answers.

So here it is: I filmed a shot clip with my camera vertical and want to rotate it horizontaly. My camera gives me .mov files that are 1280x720 @29.97fps (apparently.. not too sure why it is not 30fps but this does seems to be a standard according to the litterature I read). I want instead a movie that is 720x1280, with MINIMAL QUALITY LOST (ideally NONE), no black bars. Ideally encoded in an AVI or MPG.

Using CS6, here is what I was able to do (bear with me, 24h ago, I had never ever used Premiere...):

1- Create a new Project

2- Add a sequence, and choose Settings --> Editing mode=custom; timebase=29.97, Video size=720 x 1280; pixel aspect (1.0); fields=no fields; display=drop-frame (I am not sure if I should use drop-frame or not..??)

3- In the video previews I left "i-frame", but for some reason, the RESOLUTION in the Video preview is imposed to be 606x1079. I can't change those fields. I suppose I don't have to worry too much since it only affect a video preview that will be embedded in the AVI at export time (??)

4- Still in the new sequence window, if I click on Maximum Render Quality I get a pop-up asking to change some settings regarding rendering to memory, but nothing changes.I am not too sure if this is important or not

5- I  import my video (1280 x 720), then drag it to the timeline (that is 720x1280), and click to REFUSE to change my timeline settings to match the video's settings

6- I Select the video and then go to Effect Control--> Motion--> Rotation --> -90 and it all looks GOOD. Rotated, NO BLACK BARS exactly what I want.

This is where I am having trouble: I go to EXPORT the video (select it, then ctrl+m), and in that dialog,I am unsure what to choose to lose not too much quality, and manage to get a similar sized video file. As an example, my original .mov file was 149MB for a 50 seconds video (shot with a Canon point-and-shoot camera). I tried different options, most yielding 2GB+ files (!!).

- In the source scaling, I left "scale to fit" (although I'd prefer change output size to match source, but it is greyed out!).

- In the format, I put "AVI" (mpeg4 or Quicktime do not let me input my own resolution, they are all pre-defined)

- I am not sure what "match sequence settings" mean... do I want that?

- In the "presets" there is nothing interesting... so I will change things below

- Under the video tab, for the video codec, I tried IntelIYUV, Microsoft RLE, Microsoft Video 1 and none, but nothing seems to yield an acceptable result.All

- The other settings are the same as the source: 720x1280, 29.97, progressive, square pixels and the dept is fixed at 8 bits (actually, there is a typo in the software, it says "8 bit"!)

It seems that

no matter what I try, I can't get something right. Correctly, it tells me the source is 720x1280 (the proper rotated clip), 29,97fps. But then, regarding the OUTPUT, by default I get: 720x480, 29,97fps, lower quality:100. I don't want to downscale the resolution!

- I do not select "Use maximum render quality.

After I click on export, I get a file that is way too big. Could it be the audio portion? I didn't select anything special (the audio it not important.... it is just background audio) but it does say, in the output settings, that the audio will be uncompressed.

At best, I get a file of 780MB for an original that was 150MB if I put a "quality" setting of 85.

Can anyone suggest what may be wrong, and what I should try, please? Isn't there a way to simply say: Use the same damn codec with the same damn settings as the source!!!)?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to chose codec after rotation
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you plan on turning the TV, or computer monitor on its side, i.e. from horizontal/landscape, to vertical/portrait?

If not, then you have no choice, but to Rotate the portrait footage to landscape, and:

• live with the black bars
          • Scale & Position that Rotated footage to fill the landscape Frame Size, and live with the major quality hit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How to chose codec after rotation
            Jim Curtis Level 3

I don't see what codec your source was in your post.

Just make a new sequence using Custom settings that is 720 wide x 1280 tall, and match the codec to your source footage, and all other parameters (frame rate, PAR, etc), except reversing the width and height as I just stated.

Drag your clip into the sequence, and rotate it 90 or -90, whichever will put it upright, using rotation in the effects tab.

Export using the same codec as your source footage.  File should come out the same size if you used the same settings in your sequence.

• 3. Re: How to chose codec after rotation
              Harm Millaard Level 7

He still has to turn his TV or monitor by 90 degrees to watch it.

• 4. Re: How to chose codec after rotation
                Jim Curtis Level 3

Or, he could watch it on a computer display "right side up" in a vertical orientation.

I've done several trade show kiosks with a vertical orientation.  It's not magic.

• 5. Re: How to chose codec after rotation
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Thanks for confirming Bill and me.

• 6. Re: How to chose codec after rotation
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I agree, and recall several posts, where the OP needed to output for vertical/portrait display, and usually in trade-show situations. That is why it was my first question.

Otherwise, things fall apart, and very quickly.

We see a fair amount of Rotation, and mainly from footage, that was acquired by a phone. Most people do not consider the Aspect Ratio, until it is too late.

Hunt

• 7. Re: How to chose codec after rotation
                      dsada3223 Level 1

Thanks all for your answers.

To answer Bill, no, I don't plan to rotate the TV/monitor. I accept that there will be black bars ADDED when the video is player, but I don't want to have black bars EMBEDDED in the video. With the rotate (and setting a sequence at 720x1280) I WAS able to get the video I wanted. In contradiction, when using the rotate tool in Windows Movie maker, the new encoded video INCLUDES black bars on each side of the video. So, in the scenario where I WOULD rotate the screen, the option live Windows Movie Maker would yield a terrible result. In anycase, I was able to get that correct with the steps I describe above.

Jim, my camera (Canon g1x) will natively record 720p (1280x720) movies and encode them in a .mov (so I assume a quicktime codec). However, when EXPORTING in Premiere, if I select .mov as the export format, my only options are 16:9 and other standard format, whereas I now need 9:16 format, which isn't standard, and neither offered as an option. When selecting quicktime I have the presets of 1080i-29.97, 1080i-25, 720p, ntsc dv..., pal.... 

OK, PROBLEM SOLVED (ALMOST): As I was writing this post, I realised that I don't have to select one of the presets resolutions. I was able to select .mov as the format and CHANGE the offered resolutions to what I wanted: 720x1280. It seems to yield the result I was looking for, except that the new file is only 37MB whereas the orignal is 148MB, which tells me I certainly lost some (a lot) of quality. The default compression/quality for the quicktime export was 90, but I increased it to 100 and still got the same results.

Furthermore, at the end of the export, I get an error dialog box: "Error compiling movie Unknown error"... The .mov file is created however.. Anybody know what could be happening?

Does anyone know why the new file is 4 times smaller than the source..??

Thanks