10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2012 3:55 AM by Pierre Devereux

Turning actor to stone (Is it possible)

EvangelineWinter Level 1

I am trying to figure out if its possible to turn an actor to stone?

I am very new to after effects so I am not gifted as many long time users but I am willing to learn.

Are there any tutorials or plugins that can be bought (I don't mind paying if it gets the job done)

Thank you for your help in this matter

• 1. Re: Turning actor to stone (Is it possible)
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have the skills to turn a person to stone in Photoshop I'd suggest you start there. Take the frame or frames you want to use for the transition, bring them into Photoshop and do the transition with overlay or paint tools. Then simply edit the transition.

A little more detail about exactly what you want to achieve would be helpful. You can make this transition as simple as a freeze frame then dissolve or as complicated as slowly transitioning flesh to stone.

• 2. Re: Turning actor to stone (Is it possible)
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Rick said, this will depend a lot on the look you have in mind. From freezing and colorizing a frame to elaborate 3D animation (obviously not in AE) anything is thinkable, including all the possible shades inbetween, like a freeze fancied up with some particles or having shards fly in by ways of a time-reversed Shatter effect and whatnot. If you have a reference image/ video clip, it would be best to provide it.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Turning actor to stone (Is it possible)
              EvangelineWinter Level 1

ok this is going to sound stupid so please don't judge. The movie we are making has Batgirl coming to the rescue of a hostage but the villain hits her with a ray that turns her into stone. What we are ultimately looking for is a slow turn to stone but would be ok to  have her turn in a flash if possible. I am sure if we shoot that and then play with "time re-mapping" we can get her frozen still  body and then place batgirl behind her. Ultimately what we are looking for is a realistic turned to stone effect.

• 4. Re: Turning actor to stone (Is it possible)
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

What concerns me is what you're not revealing.  Does the Stone Actor show up at another point in your movie?  You need to take that into consideration as well.

It's kind of difficult to describe a realistic "turn to stone" effect because in the real world, people don't turn to stone. 

But you COULD freeze the action on the actor as the ray hits, use Rotobrush to separate the actor from the background, import the resulting alpha-channeled still into Photoshop to add a stone look, import the still into AE, and animate masks to make the stone look creep across the actor's body.

Incidentally, do you either have a clean plate or can you construct one?

This is why it's best to consult with an effects person before the camera rolls.

• 5. Re: Turning actor to stone (Is it possible)
                  EvangelineWinter Level 1

I dont understand what I'm not revealing. the actor gets hit by a beam and then turns to stone.

"It's kind of difficult to describe a realistic "turn to stone" effect because in the real world, people don't turn to stone. "

people don't also turn into a werewolf but its still manageable to describe the process.

"Incidentally, do you either have a clean plate or can you construct one?"

At the start of my post I clearly stated that I am new to this and learning which is why I came here looking for help. having said that please understand patiently when I say I don't know what you mean by this.

"This is why it's best to consult with an effects person before the camera rolls." I thought thats what I was doing with this post....looking for insight as to how to do this....

LOL

But thank you for trying

• 6. Re: Turning actor to stone (Is it possible)
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

I guess we can assume the Stone Actor does NOT appear elsewhere in the script.

A clean plate is the shot with no actor in it.  It's usually shot locked down.  Then the actor would enter the shot -- again locked-down -- and freeze when struck by the ray.  You can then work with still images of the actor to do the transformation to stone, using the clean plate as a background.

If objects within the clean plate are in motion, you'd want to consider shooting the background separately from the the actor who would then be shot against a blue or green screen for compositing into the shot.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Turning actor to stone (Is it possible)
                      EvangelineWinter Level 1

yes, wonderful. I am starting to get an understanding.

the actor will not appear anywhere after she is frozen. she is in the shot, then hit with the beam, then turned to stone, and then Batgirl walks around behind her as she is in stone. I have already managed a way to make her freeze and make sure she doesn't move by playing with the time remapping (thank you video copilot) but i still have not found a tutorial/plugin/ idea that would work.

I suppose it doesn't have to be stone if there is a way to freeze someone.

"But you COULD freeze the action on the actor as the ray hits, use Rotobrush to separate the actor from the background, import the resulting alpha-channeled still into Photoshop to add a stone look, import the still into AE, and animate masks to make the stone look creep across the actor's body."

I like this idea and will try it. I have never ever ever used photoshop before so it might take a while to learn what I am doing there but its a helpful start. I thank you for your patience and explaining it to me so that I could understand.

• 8. Re: Turning actor to stone (Is it possible)
                        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you need to do is think in layers. The layer with your actor frozen, another layer that just has  batgirl walking through the shot, and then a third layer that is just your actor turned to stone cut out from the background.

The actor turned to stone could be of animation, or just a Photoshop still from the video. Add the ray to a black layer set to screen for the blending mode on top of the whole thing, adjust the timing, and you're there.

Hope this helps.

• 9. Re: Turning actor to stone (Is it possible)
                          BenjaminMarkus Level 4

Hey Evangeline, I love thinking of ways to solve these issuse and would be happy to give you my input, but it would be fantastic if you could take some screenshots of the footage and your comp so we could try and understand a little more about what you're trying to do.  However, I can say that if you wanted to do the whole process in After Effects, you could...

1) Duplicate the layer of batgirl in the position you want her frozen.

2) Carefully mask her out or use the rotobrush tool so that she's seperate from the background.  Tutorials and info for the rotobrush and masks can be found here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3bf812c123007fb8513559df126b537c840-80 00.html

http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/AE_Creating-Masks/1

3) Desaturate her so she's Black and White.  This could also be keyframed so that it happens slowly after she's frozen

4) Find an interesting rock texture online, possibly here:

http://lostandtaken.com/gallery/tag/concrete

5) Then you can overlay the rock texture on top of her using blending modes.

6) Isolate the texture by either copying and pasting the same mask you used to cut her out in the first place, or using a track matte if you rotobrushed her

6) Then use one of the distortion effects to bend the rock texture so it conforms to her body.

Of course you could probably make a much more realistic rock-like effect in Photoshop, but it might be a fun exercise to try doing it all in After Effects.

• 10. Re: Turning actor to stone (Is it possible)
                            Pierre Devereux Level 2

Thanks Mylenium for finding the link for me...

If this is still helpfull, here we go, an interresting clip on using mattes to turn an actor to stone.

"Hi,

Some time back, I read a question on the forum where someone wanted to turn one of their super-hero characters to stone. I remember there being a few comments, and at the time, I had no input, but i found a small clip today while browsing that might be of interrest. Unfortunately, I do not remember who posed the question, or when, so I will add the link, and trust that the person scans the forum regularly! :-)

Hope it is of help to someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHHg2xXbOGA

Pierre"