6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2012 2:56 PM by JimHess

DNG converter 7.1 doesn't see  NEF files

philiph77213167

I've been using a previous version (4.5) of the DNG Convertor without any problems.

I downloaded 7.1 version after buying a Nikon D800.

However when navigating to folders the program sees NO  files (D800, Nikon  D3, RAW, jpg.  or otherwise) saying "no items match your search" once the folder is opened.

Please help.  Computer is Windows PC running Vista Home Premium.

• 1. Re: DNG converter 7.1 doesn't see  NEF files
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you are selecting the folder, in that dialog where you are choosing the folder, you only click on the folder that contains the raw files.  You don't open that folder.  When you are browsing for file location you are only looking for the FOLDER that contains the NEF files.

After you click on the Convert button, THEN you will see a list of the files and the progress of the conversion process.  Until you click on that button, you will not be able to see the list of files.

• 2. Re: DNG converter 7.1 doesn't see  NEF files
            philiph77213167 Level 1

Jim,

Please see my response to your answer on the adjacent posting - just to reiterate, I can see and try toUntitled-1.jpg select a folder I know to contain NEFs, but the program says "no folder selected" so that's that basically it and I can go no further. I've been using an earlier version of the dng converter which behaves in the way you outline with no problems at all. However I need the new version for D800 NEFs. I've tried to post a screenshot of the window where I select a folder. - I see the image isn't very clear but I've selected a folder outlined in blue on the left in the browsing window and the large window says "no items match your search"

• 3. Re: DNG converter 7.1 doesn't see  NEF files

I'm not really sure what window you have opened in that illustration.  It doesn't look like anything I am using.  If you open the DNG converter so that the converter dialog is displayed there is a button in the first section that says to Choose Folder.  That is the button that you should click on.  Then, using the next dialog that displays, browse to the FOLDER that contains the images you want to convert.  DON'T double click on that folder.  Just choose that folder and then click on the Convert button at the bottom of the main DNG converter dialog.  Once you have clicked on the Convert button, that will be the first time you see a list of the files that are being converted.  And as they are converted you'll be able to see the progress that's being made.

• 4. Re: DNG converter 7.1 doesn't see  NEF files
                philiph77213167 Level 1

PS The browser window in my version 7version 4-1.jpg looks nothing like the one that version 4 opens (see attachment), it looks just like a windows explorer window - there's something weird going on here

• 5. Re: DNG converter 7.1 doesn't see  NEF files

Must be a difference in operating systems.  This is what I see.  Like I said in the other thread, I am out of ideas.  Hopefully someone else can help you.

Capture.JPG

• 6. Re: DNG converter 7.1 doesn't see  NEF files

I just thought of something.  If, in the left hand list of folders, you can click on a drive so that you have folders on that drive listed in the larger right hand section, then click on a folder in that section, it should work.  That left hand column is used to choose the main folder or drive.  And it needs to be in the other section to be selected.