2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2012 7:45 AM by the_wine_snob

Prem Ele. does not detect DVD burner.

bettyr83002038

I have a Dell Inspiron 620 computer with Windows 7, using Prem. Ele. 10.  I cannot burn my movies because elements does not detect my DVD burner. What can I do short of buying a external DVD burner?  

• 1. Re: Prem Ele. does not detect DVD burner.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This sometimes happens on Windows computers when  you have a program like Nero hogging your drive.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/438091?tstart=30

If that solution doesn't work (and it often doesn't), the easiest solution is to burn to a folder rather than directly to a disc.

Select this option from Share/Output/Disc.

Once the disk files are created, you can use your computer’s burner software to burn the VIDEO_TS folder and its contents to a disk.

• 2. Re: Prem Ele. does not detect DVD burner.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve points out, some programs can "hook" the burner at bootup, and tell he OS that it is not really a burner, but a removable HDD. This ARTICLE goes into more detail, and lists some other programs, that can cause this to happen.

Also, there were several threads on Dell computers having issues with a batch of multi-drives. In most of those cases, the users were getting SenseCode errors, but in some, the multi-drive/burner was just not detected. In those cases, Dell replaced the defective multi-drives. However, since you are not also getting SenseCode errors, I would proceed with thinking that software is the problem.

Good luck,

Hunt