• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Quizzes with multiple results (in Captivate 6)

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, Thanks for reading!

Does anyone know if it is possible to do multiple tests with multiple results in captivate 6? or if it is possible to have a pre-test with a quiz, and have separate results for each?

I've been having a play with captivate 6 and when I put a quiz in, it overrides the results slide for my pre-test.

Looking at the results slide master properties I can choose to have results for one of my quizzes but not both (even on separate slides):

It wont even let me insert another slide based on the other result.

I would like to know if multiple quizzes with multiple results is possible in Captivate 6?, or if I am simply doing something wrong?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Adobe Captivate has a new feature of adding pre-test quiz.

Please check the tutorial from Dr. Pooja Jaisingh on the same : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39GwWqjDz4Q&feature=share

If you need any help on this, please let me know.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AdityaKalania,

Thank you for your reply!

I have had a look at that youtube tutorial and it it doesn’t look like I can have the pre-test results and the main quiz results displayed separately. Can you please confim this is the case?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI George (?)

The score slide that is inserted at the end will only display the score and other information about the graded quiz, not about the pretest.

I should do more exploring, but until now if I want to show/see the score/percentage acquired in the pretest, I construct a 'score' slide myself. There are new system quizzing variables cpQuizInfoPretestPointsscored and cpQuizInfoPretestScorePercentage.  Those can be used to display the result. There is however, AFAIK no system variable that offers you the number of Pretest questions (I calculate them using a user variable).

Do not know if this will help you,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Am I right in assuming that cpQuizInfoPretestPointsscored is a variable that contains the total score for the pretest? If so, is it possible to use the variable cpQuizInfoPretestPointsscored, and have it fed back to the LMS, alongside the graded quiz?

Could you also advise how you construct your own score slide using these variables? I'm really interested in knowing how to do this?

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm still busy exploring every changed feature for Quiz, so do not expect a complete answer yet. Will certainly blog about it.

Yes, those system variables do store the result for the pretest, and are used for the Pretest action (that is where I want to do more exploration).

I'm not sure those variables are passed automatically to the LMS, suppose not.. but have to check.

Some other variables are populated as well by pretest questions, one of them is cpInfoAnswerChoice, can be interesting as well. But again, give me some more time. Have been overwhelmed by work these last weeks.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, great! Thank you - look forward to hearing from you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lilybiri.

I've come across this discussion from 2014. I would like to know if you did write a blog post as you intended, about the topic of multiple quizzes inside a single Captivate project, with multiple scores being reported to an LMS?

If you did, would you please give me the link?

Thanks.

Rinske

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussion started in 2012.

One course can only transmit one result (SCORM requirement) to a LMS. If you need to transfer multiple quiz results, you need to have them in separate courses, which you can call from a main course.

However you can show intermediate results within one course to the learner, I blogged about that:

Intermediate Score Slides - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

You said:

One course can only transmit one result (SCORM requirement) to a LMS. If you need to transfer multiple quiz results, you need to have them in separate courses, which you can call from a main course.

Is this the same in Captivate 2017?

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, since it is a SCORM requirement, do not blame Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply Lilybiri!

I am not blaming Captivate, however I'm not sure it will do what I am attempting -- multiple quizzes in one project.

I am trying to create a Captivate 2017 project with 5 chapters, each containing a short quiz and a results slide. The user would have to pass 5 quizzes in order to send a final "pass" result to the SCORM LMS.

Would I be right in saying it cannot do this, without the use of variables and advanced actions?

I can't see a built-in method to create 5 results slides, or a  'final result' slide to report a pass/fail to the LMS, unless I get into programming variables.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. Articulate Storyline, for example, allows the developer to insert multiple results slides into a project, and select which questions slides are graded by each results slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not hard at all to insert intermediate score slides. Have a look at the work flow I explained here :

Intermediate Score Slides - Captivate blog

Beware this article was written for an older version, if you are on CP2017, the Advanced Actions dialog box has been refurbished, here is a full description:

Advanced Actions Dialog box in Captivate 2017 - Captivate blog

Once you know the meaning of the system variables (in this case the category Quizzing), you will be able to do a lot more. Here is another link:

Using Quizzing System Variables - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per the SCORM standard, each lesson can only have one overall 'score'.

You could possibly theoretically send the results of the Pretest as 'interaction data' to the LMS for later reporting, but I don't think CP supports that (I too have more testing to do with CP6).

But as to the final score, even if the Pretest option in CP6 allows it so be sent back to the LMS, it would later be overwritten by the final quiz score as there's only one 'spot' per lesson in the LMS to store a lesson score...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that Erik - I don't know enough about scorm yet and that was interesting to know. I have seen an option in captivate for interaction data, I have it ticked but not sure what it does yet. Will post back if I manage to make any progress with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this? Is the final answer: The final test score will always overwrite the pre-test score. Meaning.... there is no way to compare the two scores in either Captivate or LMS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've still not tested the pre-test feature in CP6 myself, so I'm not sure how it's tracked. Regardless, SCORM only allows one 'score' so even if the pre-test does track as 'the score' to the LMS, anything subsequent that also records as 'the score' is going to overwrite it.

Now if Captivate is wise enough to track a pre-test to, say, interaction data - then you may be able to report on the lesson's interaction data to see the pre-test score, then compare to the post-test ('the score')...but no matter the tool, there's till only one cmi.score value possible per SCO.

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per the SCORM standard, each lesson can only have one overall 'score'.

I feel like I have a fundemental misunderstanding of the way captivate expects me to make a course.

I would think all the slides in a project constitutes a course, and each slide constitutes a lesson. Should courses be made up of multiple projects, and each project be thought of as a single lesson?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for way-late reply...

It's really more how your LMS handles 'courses' and the terminology it uses.

Essentially, most often, a 'SCORM Package' (SCO) is a 'course'. I'd rather call each SCO a 'lesson' as, to me, 'courses' should be setup in the LMS with a series of 'Lessons'.

Regardless of the terminology, each 'SCO' is launched by the LMS and one score can be recorded for it via SCORM.

So if you need multiple final scores recorded, each of those final scores need to be in their own SCO.

A common approach is a Pre-Test SCO (or 'lesson', or 'course', whatever term), a 'Content' SCO perhaps with some interspersed scored interactions, and a Post-Test SCO...all three merged together as a 'course' (or whatever term) within the LMS.

That said, as said, it really all depends on how your LMS handles various SCOs...

Clear as mud?
E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2014 Dec 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I discovered I could put only one quiz in a captivate module, I split my lesson into multiple modules. "Next" buttons at the end of each module call the subsequent module, but for the learner, it will be seamless, beginning to end. This works to allow me to collect 7 different quizzes and surveys in a single lesson.

I do not yet know how I will set up the LMS to receive these 7 different sets of data. I'm guessing, though, that since Captivate sees these as, in effect, 7 different lessons, the integrity of the data will not suffer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2014 Dec 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If using an LMS you will run into issues trying to have a Next button at the end of each module that calls the next SCO. You need to instruct the learner to launch the next module by clicking t's link in the LMS TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2014 Dec 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know, Rod. I don't see this as insurmountable. It just makes the user experience a little clunkier.

Even at it's best, putting the content into a bundle of projects instead of a single project is a hack I'm not sure I'm going to sustain. The instructor just requested a feature that I'm not sure would be possible WITHIN a project, let alone between projects.

I will post my question about that in a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not including pre-tests, all quiz slides are counted 'cumulatively'. So if you have a couple questions in chapter 1, then a couple in chapter 2, etc...the Quiz Results Slide at the end of the entire piece will show the final % results for all questions.

Down side is you can't use a Results slide after each chapter (I don't think), just the one at the very end.

As Lieve suggests, you probably could use CP variables to show your own custom results slide after each chapters quiz questions.

Also as she notes, you can only send one final quiz score to the LMS, per SCORM spec, and that will happen after the Quiz Results slide at the end of the piece.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources