4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2012 9:09 AM by BenjaminMarkus

Any render settings other than "lossless" close to lossless?

Intercostal Level 1

Any render settings other than "lossless" close to lossless.....

and is the lossless avi setting truly lossless? It's 20 MB for a 2 minute video.

Dynamic link to PP for  final and only render is no doubt the best way to go but I want to explore this avenue.

CS5

• 1. Re: Any render settings other than "lossless" close to lossless?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, lossless is (visually) lossless. Compression only happens at the binary level. Not sure what you are asking otherwise. There are only so many intermediate CoDecs like Quicktime Aniamtion or PNG, DNxHX or certain vendor specific CoDecs associated with video hardware as e.g. Blackmagic have. and of yourse you can always use image sequences.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Any render settings other than "lossless" close to lossless?
            Intercostal Level 1

Thanks, Mylenium. I was initially(and still am) taken aback by the 2 minute 20,000,000 KB rendered file which I mistakenly said in my initial post was 20MB but is 20,000 MB unless my math is wrong or the file shows up in the folder with a couple extra zeros.  A 2 minute rendered file thats 20,000,000 KB doesn't make sense to me. The original file the 2 min clip is taken from is only 600,000 KB.

Regarding the render settings, I was refering to the Output Module dropdown choices in the render queue "Lossless" is the default but H.264, AVI  DV NTSC 48kHz, etc... are the options listed. The 20,000,000 KB lossless file seemed ridiculously big for 2 minutes and I was trying to find out a comparable setting to the default  "Lossless" without the large file size.  Right now I'm confused as to why that rendered file is shown in the folder I rendered it to as 20,000,000 KB. That's huge!

• 3. Re: Any render settings other than "lossless" close to lossless?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, the default "Lossless" produces an uncompressed AVI. Feel free to edit it and use another of the formats I mentioned or create your own output module templates. Read up in the help on how to do that.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Any render settings other than "lossless" close to lossless?
                BenjaminMarkus Level 4

If you let us know what you're going to do with the clip after you render it we could give you some suggestions on good codecs to use.  For example, H.264 is technically very lossy, but it can still look great and it's fine for final export and playback from the desktop.  However, it's not a good intermediate codec if you wanted to continue editing with it.  Using ProRes codecs should yield smaller file sizes than the Uncompressed AVI and they're also lossless.