21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 6:36 AM by tlc12345

ID CS3 Start up error

tlc12345

When trying to start up Indesign CS3 on MAC 10.5.8 I get error 45 line 387 then error 45 line 428. I am not a computer savy person. Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: ID CS3 Start up error
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How are you starting InDesign? Are you trying to double-click a file or drag on onto the icon in the doc?

The complete exact text of the error message or a screen shot of the dialog, would help, but it sounds like there's a script trying to run that is incompatible.

• 2. Re: ID CS3 Start up error
            tlc12345 Level 1

I go to my hard drive then to applications then click on ID then double click the program. I can't seem to figure out how to do a screen shot, sorry. It's a little window that pops up that says

Java Script Error! 

Error Number 45

Error String: Object is invalid

Line 387.

I click ok and it goes to another window that says  

Java Script Error!

Error Number 45

Error String: Object is invalid

Line: 428

when I click ok on that window it seems to open but when I try to go to a new page or open anything the whole program closes.

• 3. Re: ID CS3 Start up error

Start by doing two things, trash your preferences (see Replace Your Preferences) and empty the InDesign Recovery folder which should be inthe same folder where you find the InDesign SavedData file, then try to restart ID.

• 4. Re: ID CS3 Start up error
                tlc12345 Level 1

Thank you. I did those things but have the same issue. Any other options?

• 5. Re: ID CS3 Start up error
                  tlc12345 Level 1

I just noticed when I went back into those folders all of those files are there again.

• 6. Re: ID CS3 Start up error

tlc12345 wrote:

I just noticed when I went back into those folders all of those files are there again.

Yes, that's supposed to happen.

Check in the folder where you found the InDesign Defaults file and see if you see a folder named Startup Scripts. If you do, rename it. Also check in the InDesign applications folder (there should be a Scripts folder, but there would not be a Startup Scripts subfolder for CS3 by default). You might have to dig around a little -- I'm a bit shakey on where the application Scripts folder would be on Mac.

Have to run out for a few hours...

• 7. Re: ID CS3 Start up error
                      tlc12345 Level 1

Thank you. There was no folder called InDesign Defaults. I did not see anything called Startup Scripts in any of the folders either. The folders that are there are InDesign Recovery and Scripting Support. Thank you for your time. It is much appreciated.

• 8. Re: ID CS3 Start up error

InDesign Defaults is a file, not a folder. It should be in

Hard Drive/Users/<USER>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 5.0/ and that's where the startupscripts folder would also be. You could try a spotlight search for Startup Scripts, too.

• 9. Re: ID CS3 Start up error
                          tlc12345 Level 1

Okay. Thank you. The previous instruction said to look in the Cache folder which is where I was. I did find the defaults file. I redid all of the previous instructions and got rid of all those files and opened InDesign again. I get the same thing. There is a folder called Scripts and in it is Scripts panel but it is empty. I did a search for Startup Script folders and there are 2. Both are in the applications folder/adobe indesign cs3/scripts/export as xhtml/startup scripts. The file that is in there is OEBExportMenuItemLoader.jsx. Is this what I am trying to find?

• 10. Re: ID CS3 Start up error

Probably not, but it won't hurt to rename the folder to _startup scripts temporarily and try it again.

• 11. Re: ID CS3 Start up error
                              tlc12345 Level 1

Thanks. I redid everything and renamed those 2 files. Now InDesign opens without the error message however if I try to do anything (ie.: open a file, start a new file, etc.) it closes down. Any suggestions?

• 12. Re: ID CS3 Start up error

So there's no script error on start now? Did you rename the startup scripts folder you found, or just replace the prefs again?

Are you getting a crash report?

• 13. Re: ID CS3 Start up error
                                  tlc12345 Level 1

I renamed them to just script instead of startup script. I also cleared the other files as instructed previously. It does give me a report that says The application InDesign has unexpectedly quit. A crash report has been generated.

"To provide us with the best chance of fixing this problem, please select Continue to add a detailed description that includes the steps required to produce the crash."

I then have the option to continue or cancel. If I cancel it just goes away, if I continue it creates a report that I can fill out and send to Adobe I guess.

• 14. Re: ID CS3 Start up error

If you post the crash report on pastebin.com and put a link to it here one of us may be able to tell waht is causing the crash.

• 15. Re: ID CS3 Start up error
                                      tlc12345 Level 1

Thank you. I really do appreciate your assistance. I have attached the crash report. I will also go to pastebin as well.

• 16. Re: ID CS3 Start up error
                                        tlc12345 Level 1

Here is the pastebin link.   http://pastebin.com/C16UBQTu

• 17. Re: ID CS3 Start up error

I'm not able to interpret the crash report, but John might have a clue if he pops in.

In the meantime, find the Startup Scripts folder you renamed and name it back to Startup Scripts and see if it helps. If you get another crash, put that report on Pastebin.com, too.

• 18. Re: ID CS3 Start up error
                                            tlc12345 Level 1

Thank you. I changed the names of the folders and now have the same issue as before. The new crash report is http://pastebin.com/DV742aKH

• 19. Re: ID CS3 Start up error

Looks the same to me, at least at first glance. I've sent John a heads up...

• 20. Re: ID CS3 Start up error
                                                John Hawkinson Level 5

Hi, tlc12345:

Has InDesign ever worked on this machine? Has it worked with this OS version?

Without strong confidence, I have the feeling that you may need to reinstall InDesign.

(Note that such a reinstallation isn't really too bad. Probably 10 minutes to uninstall and 10 to reinstall, depending on your system.)

Ah, it's been so long since I've seen those CS3 XML crashreports.

In some other universe, we'd have a handy tool to try to help interpret them. Anyhow, the stack trace, slightly rewritten:

0  0x1b61d8d6   unknown

1  0x1c0a028b   unknown

2  0x1c0a73d6   unknown

3  0x1c0ab3cb   unknown

4  0x1c0ac29e   unknown

5  0x1c0afdec   unknown

6  0x914bc13d   __Z23DispatchEventToHandlersP14EventTargetRecP14OpaqueEventRefP14HandlerCallRec

7  0x914bb57b   __Z30SendEventToEventTargetInternalP14OpaqueEventRefP20OpaqueEventTargetRefP14HandlerCallRec

8  0x914bb3e0   _SendEventToEventTargetWithOptions

9  0x91514fb4   __Z15SendMenuOpeningP14MenuSelectDataP8MenuDatadmP14__CFDictionaryhPh

10  0x91514abb   __Z11DrawTheMenuP14MenuSelectDataPP9__CFArrayhPh

11  0x91514897   __Z11MenuChangedP14MenuSelectDatahh

12  0x915136f2   __Z15TrackMenuCommonR14MenuSelectDataPh

13  0x9150f32b   __Z14MenuSelectCoreP8MenuData5PointdmPP13OpaqueMenuRefPt

14  0x9159e030   _MenuSelect

15  0x1c4accd9   unknown

16  0x914bc13d   __Z23DispatchEventToHandlersP14EventTargetRecP14OpaqueEventRefP14HandlerCallRec

17  0x914bb57b   __Z30SendEventToEventTargetInternalP14OpaqueEventRefP20OpaqueEventTargetRefP14HandlerCallRec

18  0x914d7ecc   _SendEventToEventTarget

19  0x1c4ad465   unknown

20  0x1c4ca750   unknown

21  0x0000277b   _main

22  0x0000209e   start

23  0x00001fc5   start

24  0x00000002   unknown

So what does that tell us? Well, all that 0x914b stuff is Apple code:

<binaryImage start="0x914b4000" end="0x917bcfff" type="__TEXT" path="/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framewo rk/Versions/A/HIToolbox"/>

So, I guess we know that frame 6 is the last one we have a symbol for. _Z23DispatchEventToHandlersP14EventTargetRecP14OpaqueEventRefP14HandlerCallRec translates to

DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*). So a window got an event and it aclled back to InDesign.

We can reconstruct the modules by hand (again, with a tool...) for the first 6 frames:

Frame 0 falls in "Document UI" and frames 1-5 fall in "Actions."

That just doesn't tell us much.

Generally the scripting errors mean that InDesign's C++ code isn't properly talking to it's Javascript code, possibly because something didn't initialize properly. Why didn't it? Umm, we don't know. Somehting wrong with the install of the program, most likely (but maybe the OS). Was this a clean installation under 10.5.8? It kind of looks like there might have been an upgrade here that went wrong...

• 21. Re: ID CS3 Start up error
                                                  tlc12345 Level 1

Thank you so much for your assistance on this issue. It has worked on this computer. I had an upgraded version of OS put on but that was after ID  quit working. I will have to find my disks i guess and reinstall. somewhere in storage which is why I was hoping to avoid it. Oh well, thank you again. I really do appreciate the effort.