18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 3:12 PM by conleec

Matchframe doesn't work

conleec Level 1

Man oh man, I'm just finding tons of things that aren't working the way they're supposed to, or else I'm just not understanding the instructions...

I put my playhead over an armed track and hit either the keyboard shortcut or the menu item for matchframe and NOTHING happens. What am I doing wrong?

BTW, is there a way to match back from a clip in the source window to the master clip in the bin?

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

nVidia GTX 285 (CUDA 4.1.10)

Dual Monitors

Matrox Mini Max

PP 6.0.1

• 1. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
          RBemendo Level 1

@ conleec, Make sure your toggling the target and not the source, targeting the source only will not match frame.

toggle target not source.png

Not sure about the match back from clip in the source window, haven't found that one either if it exists.

• 2. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
            conleec Level 1

Thanks for that. I did arm the target, and it still doesn't match frame.

I'm using 5K Red Epic files that are merged with field recorder audio. Could that be what's causing the glitch?

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

nVidia GTX 285 (CUDA 4.2.10)

Dual Monitors

Matrox Mini Max

PP 6.0.1

• 3. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
              RBemendo Level 1

I'm working with DSLR merged clips and not having any issue with matching frames, so i'm guessing it's not a merged clip issue, but it possibly could be an epic issue.  I have some r3d files, i'll run a test quick and get back to you.

• 4. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                RBemendo Level 1

i'm able to match frames between R3d files from RED One, Epic, and Scarlet.  If you've merged using the timeline, be sure that the files you are trying to match frame are the merged clips, as I've tried matching frames with referenced sync clips, and not the actual merged clips, which performs as expected but was a user error.  If that doesn't work, restart, delete preferences would be my next guess.

• 5. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

Along with Targeting the Track, and moving the CTI/Playhead, also be sure to Select the desired Clip.

Does that work better?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                    conleec Level 1

@RBemendo: Could you please explain the difference between "merged clips" and "referenced sync clips?" Here's what I did to create my synced dailies:

I laid all my shots out on a timeline, unlinked the camera audio and threw it away. Then I went back to the production mixer's tracks and synced them to my shots one at a time with the clacks. When I had it all done, I went back thru the timeline and selected each shot/audio pair from the timeline and merged them (for the record I did not match the durations necessarily of the audio and video, as it seemed to be working without going thru that step). These shots landed in my project window and I sorted them into scene bins.

Sound right?

It's those clips (I assume they're the merged clips) that I've been trying to match back to.

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

Dual Monitors

Matrox Mini Max

PP 6.0.1

• 7. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                      conleec Level 1

@BillHunt: Yes, I selected the shot as well, and it still doesn't match back.

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

Dual Monitors

Matrox Mini Max

PP 6.0.1

• 8. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                        conleec Level 1

@RBemendo: How do you "restart and delete preferences?"

And is that as gruesome as it sounds? I've spent a bunch of time customizing my keyboard layout and would hate to lose that work, but...?

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

Dual Monitors

Matrox Mini Max

PP 6.0.1

• 9. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                          RBemendo Level 1

@coleec,  your process sounds correct.  I was referring to the clips that would be in the timeline after you synced them and before you merged them.  But it sounds like you are using the merged clips from the project panel when trying to use the match frame command. 

try using the match frame command from the menu, menu/match frame,  just to make sure your keyboard shortcut is set up correctly.

to verify they are the merged clips, go to a merged clip in the project window, right-click and choose properties, if they are merged, two property windows will appear with the files that are being referenced in the merged clips

Restart, just restart your computer,  deleting your preferences is located in ~Library/application support/adobe/premiere/adobe premiere pro prefs

Lion doesn't show the library file by default, type this command in terminal to override the default hidden library folder:  chflags nohidden ~/Library/

your keyboard layout is saved in a file with the extension .kys, but if your worried about preferences you've saved, duplicated the premiere pro pref file to your desktop, delete it in the ~Library/application support/adobe/premiere/adobe folder structure, launch premiere check match frame, if it doesn't work, replace the pref file with the one on your desktop and your back where you started from.

• 10. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

I followed your method precisely and could not reproduce your problem. It must have something to do with your keyboard customization.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                              conleec Level 1

This is weird. I can match back my clips before I merge them, both using my keyboard shortcut (F5) and via the drop-down menu. But I absolutely cannot match back from my timeline when I've cut in merged Epic clips. This is a big bummer, as I use matchback a hundred times a day.

Chris Conlee

• 12. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

I'll try to get my hands on some Epic footage and see if I can reproduce.

• 13. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                                  conleec Level 1

Much appreciated, Kevin. This is killing me. I've got piano playing going on under conversation, with my leads occassionally glancing at the player. So I'm pulling his merged audio under my scene and cutting my two actors' dialog on top of it. But when I want to pop back to the player, I need to be able to match back to his merged clip from the audio only, and it definitely DOES NOT WORK. Right now I'm having to match cut by ear, which sucks but is doable while I'm alone. But when the director shows up in a couple weeks, if he wants to make substantial changes to this scene, he's gonna be less than impressed with me and Premiere if I have to keep fighting this...

In the attached graphic, my piano player's merged audio is on audio track 2 for visual reference.

Screen Shot 2012-06-20 at 1.01.06 PM.png

Add to the matchback problem the fact that I can't adjust volumes of these merged clips on the timeline, and it's proving quite challenging.

Is there at least a way I can view the source timecode for my audio on track 2 and in the source monitor so I can find my frames by eye? That would be a start.

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

Dual Monitors

Matrox Mini Max

PP 6.0.1

• 14. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                                    Film Professor Level 1

Did anyone get a solution/answer to this? Here is my odd situation. I was using merged clips and match frame was working fine UNTIL I used the project manager to create a trimmed project. Now all of those clips cannot match frame. Help please!

• 15. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                                      Lynn Yuhn Level 1

I too am having a problem with Match Frame.   Just using Canon 7D footage and merged clips.   I didn't have a problem till I did a copy project - now match frame doesn't work at all!

• 16. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                                        Lynn Yuhn Level 1

I think I may have figured something out.   If you merged clips and then did a copy project Premiere Pro can't seem to make the link from the merged clip name to actual file name.   I figured this out by importing a sequence with some merged clips and some not into a brand new project.   The new project did not contain any of the merged files!  It displayed them on my sequence time line, but did not import the file.  However, any clips on that same timeline that were not merged did get imported into the project.  

One more strange thing, in my original project, if I did 'F' for matchframe on a NESTED sequence, it would properly display the clip in the source window.   But if I drilled back down into the sequence and did the exact same thing I got nothing!  

I would like to do a test with a copied project wherein I select the option to change file name to clip name - I have a feeling that will allow me to match frame.   But for now I have a live project going and I don't want to take any chances

I know that this didn't solve any problems, but possibly it pointed to the cause - maybe?

• 17. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                                          oloz2

I'm having the same issue as well with any type of clips I merge, whether it be RED or DSLR.  Huge bummer.  Even if everything is freshly merged and not copied it still will not match back to the correct frame.

• 18. Re: Matchframe doesn't work
                                            conleec Level 1

Is matchframe working reliably now for people using merged clips?

Chris Conlee