10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 3:24 PM by peter minneapolis

Can I add repeating words to my user dictionary?

GoaliGrlTilDeath Level 1

I use Dynamic Spelling when I work in InDesign, and it brings up a somewhat unique issue for me. I live and work in a town called Walla Walla and since where I work has Walla Walla in it's name, you can guess I have "Walla Walla" numerous times in a document. I can add "Walla" to my user dictionary so Dynamic Spelling doesn't think "Walla" is spelled wrong, but it always seems to think "Walla Walla" is an incorrect repeating word and gives me a squiggly green line.

Is there any way to add a two word 'word' to the User Dictionary so it doesn't think Walla Walla is a repeating word? ...even though it technically is.

I realize this is a very uncommon issue, and if there isn't a way to add Walla Walla to my user dictionary I suppose I can just put my big girl pants on and ignore the squiggly. I mean, I don't imagine too many people run into this problem as much as I do!

(using InDesign CS5.5)

• 1. Re: Can I add repeating words to my user dictionary?
          Frans van der Geest Adobe Community Professional

Wouldn't it be easier to turn off the check for repating (double) words in the spelling preferences?

• 2. Re: Can I add repeating words to my user dictionary?
            GoaliGrlTilDeath Level 1

I've considered it, but then if I had actual repeating words (i.e. The the) I wouldn't have a catch for it.

• 3. Re: Can I add repeating words to my user dictionary?
              peter minneapolis Level 4

Have you tried:

* entering Walla Walla with a non-breaking space between the Wallas into the dictionary? The non-breaking space will also assure that Walla Walla doesn't split across like breaks.

* applying a character style to Walla Walls with find and replace that uses no language, so the dictionary skips spell checking it?

* creating a text variable with the content Walla Walla? Text variables don't wrap across line breaks and they aren't spell checked.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

GoaliGrlTilDeath wrote:

I use Dynamic Spelling when I work in InDesign, and it brings up a somewhat unique issue for me. I live and work in a town called Walla Walla and since where I work has Walla Walla in it's name, you can guess I have "Walla Walla" numerous times in a document. I can add "Walla" to my user dictionary so Dynamic Spelling doesn't think "Walla" is spelled wrong, but it always seems to think "Walla Walla" is an incorrect repeating word and gives me a squiggly green line.

Is there any way to add a two word 'word' to the User Dictionary so it doesn't think Walla Walla is a repeating word? ...even though it technically is.

I realize this is a very uncommon issue, and if there isn't a way to add Walla Walla to my user dictionary I suppose I can just put my big girl pants on and ignore the squiggly. I mean, I don't imagine too many people run into this problem as much as I do!

(using InDesign CS5.5)

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can I add repeating words to my user dictionary?
                GoaliGrlTilDeath Level 1

-I just tried the non-breaking space but it was still recognizing it as two different words, and wouldn't let me add it to the dictionary. Is there a trick to this?

-The character style wouldn't be very efficient for my everyday use since I work on too many documents in a given week, and way too many Wallas!

-The text variable option might work... Is there a shortcut for inserting variables so putting it in will be as easy as typing it?

Thanks for the help!

• 5. Re: Can I add repeating words to my user dictionary?
                  David W. Goodrich Level 3

Technically, there is a way to add oddities to ID's user dictionary, at least in CS4: by using Unicode codes enclosed in angle brackets.  Thus I can add "Walla<0020>Walla".  But this doesn't get you very far because the spell-checker still checks by words, i.e., Walla.

I should note that I rarely use ID's spell-checker as I do a lot of mixed-language work.  Also, I'd be careful about adding oddities to the dictionary: the other day I added "māori" as an experiment and can't remove it.

• 6. Re: Can I add repeating words to my user dictionary?

GoaliGrlTilDeath wrote:

-The text variable option might work... Is there a shortcut for inserting variables so putting it in will be as easy as typing it?

Not exactly. You can use Quick Apply to open the Text Variables dialog box and arrow down to the custom text variable you've created for Walla Walla, then, however, you'll need to click Insert and Done, because, at least on Mac, there's no additional keyboard navigation in the dialog box.

It's probably easier to insert a placeholder, like WW, in text, and copy an instance of the variable from text to the clipboard, then use Find/Replace to find the variable and replace with clipboard contents.

Search Google for terms like "quick apply InDesign" and "replace with clipboard contents InDesign," without quotes for details.

Usually the non-breaking variable property is a pain, but in instances like proper multi-word names and phrases, that should't break across line endings, it's helpful.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 7. Re: Can I add repeating words to my user dictionary?
                      GoaliGrlTilDeath Level 1

Thanks for the help. I guess there's no easy way to just add it to the dictionary so it's taken care of across the board. For big documents I can do search and replaces for them when it gets annoying, or text variables, but for most of my documents it sounds like I'm just going to have to ignore it.

Thank you for your help!

• 8. Re: Can I add repeating words to my user dictionary?

I forgot to suggest trying the InDesign scripting forum for a script that inserts the text variable. I'm not sure if a script can access the necessary code, but any of the power scripters can answer the question, and even, perhaps, whip up a short script.

You can run a script with Quick Apply, or by assigning a keystroke shortcut. Search Google for terms like "InDesign script keyboard shortcut," without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

GoaliGrlTilDeath wrote:

Thanks for the help. I guess there's no easy way to just add it to the dictionary so it's taken care of across the board. For big documents I can do search and replaces for them when it gets annoying, or text variables, but for most of my documents it sounds like I'm just going to have to ignore it.

Thank you for your help!

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Can I add repeating words to my user dictionary?
                          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

A viable workaround could be to set "Walla Walla" (and other usual suspects that are in fact correct, such as 80s band "The The") to a character style that assigns [No Language] with a GREP style.

Only thing is, this GREP style needs to be in every single paragraph style. If you set up your styles all based upon a single one, it's a doddle; otherwise it's a drag. At least it will make sure ID never flags it again.

• 10. Re: Can I add repeating words to my user dictionary?

I thought about a GREP style, or perhaps a "regular" nested style, but dropped suggesting it because processing every paragraph in a long document could slow things down. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

[Jongware] wrote:

A viable workaround could be to set "Walla Walla" (and other usual suspects that are in fact correct, such as 80s band "The The") to a character style that assigns [No Language] with a GREP style.

Only thing is, this GREP style needs to be in every single paragraph style. If you set up your styles all based upon a single one, it's a doddle; otherwise it's a drag. At least it will make sure ID never flags it again.