12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 1:13 PM by conleec

Rubberbanding Audio: How To?

conleec Level 1

Okay, so I arm the track, select the clip, turn down the little audio track arrow and try to add a keyframe.

Nuthin.

Nada.

I'm sure I'm an idiot and simply am missing a step, but can somebody please walk me thru this?

Chris Conlee

• 1. Re: Rubberbanding Audio: How To?
          jstrawn Adobe Employee

It sounds like you're doing the right thing, but let's try to make it a little clearer:

1) Drag and drop a clip with audio into the timeline

2) Twirl open the audio track header

3) Move the Current Time Indicator over the clip, wherever you want the first keyframe to be

4) Press the 'Add-Remove Keyframe' button

Did that work? Are you zoomed to a level where you can see that part of the clip with decent detail?

• 2. Re: Rubberbanding Audio: How To?
            conleec Level 1

It does not work. I just stepped into the other room and tried it on another editor's machine running CS 5.5 and it worked as you describe. That editor came in my room and agreed, it's not working in CS6. I don't even see the audio level line.

However, I can see the track based audio level indicator and I can add and subtract keyframes from that. Am I in a mode that I shouldn't be? I'd rather be working with clip based gain for this project.

I've tried the "show clip" keyframes vs "show timeline" keyframes (or words to that effect) and they don't seem to make a difference.

The other editor DID show me that I can make and edit keyframes in the Effect Control panel, which is a serious cludge, but it's a workaround.

For what it's worth I'm cutting 5K Red Epic footage natively with merged clips, as all my audio came from a field recorder. Could that be what's glitching?

Chris Conlee

• 3. Re: Rubberbanding Audio: How To?
              Hindsight_Productions Level 1

How about a screen shot so we can see your timeline?

• 4. Re: Rubberbanding Audio: How To?
                conleec Level 1

Here it is.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as I'm really, really, really getting spooked by the prospect of doing this feature edit in PP. As much as I like the speed of it, I'm just having too many gotcha moments so far.

Screen Shot 2012-06-18 at 3.03.58 PM.png

Chris

• 5. Re: Rubberbanding Audio: How To?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

I might be missing it, but is your Audio Track Targeted?

If not, when you Target it, you should be able to Add Keyframe.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Rubberbanding Audio: How To?
                    jstrawn Adobe Employee

For what it's worth I'm cutting 5K Red Epic footage natively with merged clips, as all my audio came from a field recorder. Could that be what's glitching?

Probably. I just imported a 4k r3d clip with 4 merged audio tracks and I did find that the keyframe header controls were getting greyed out when I scrolled those tracks out of view and back in. The workaround for that was just to re-select any one of those audio clips in the timeline.

But I also found that if I dragged the 4k clip into a sequence that  was not especially build for it (the auido setting are different) then I was not getting the keyframe options in the timeline at all. The workwaround for that was to drag the clip right over the 'New' item' icon in the project panel, which forces it to creat a new sequence that matches that clip.

It looks like there's bug of some sort going on here. I'll look into it, and if there's not already an open report for it, I will log it myself. THANK YOU very much for your support.

-James

• 7. Re: Rubberbanding Audio: How To?
                      conleec Level 1

@jstrawn:

You said "The workwaround for that was to drag the clip right over the 'New' item' icon in the project panel, which forces it to create a new sequence that matches that clip."

I tried this with a clip and it created a new sequence but it still didn't work. In addition, as soon as I turn down the audio track arrow, the timeline ceases to redraw correctly. If I scroll the timeline either left or right, the whole thing qoes perquacky. See attached image...

Screen Shot 2012-06-18 at 3.54.44 PM.png

That's supposed to be one single merged clip with video and one audio track of roughly equal duration. But when I scrolled the timeline, the audio "ghosts" for lack of a better word. This has been discussed in the following thread as well.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1002143?tstart=0

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

nVidia GTX 285 (CUDA 4.2.10)

Dual Monitors

Matrox Mini Max

PP 6.0.1

• 8. Re: Rubberbanding Audio: How To?
                        jstrawn Adobe Employee

I'm investigating the problem from my end, and I have encountered 'frozen' clips like what you're seeing, but the repro is not that relaible for me yet and I haven't found a sure-fired workaround. I'll update when I know more.

• 9. Re: Rubberbanding Audio: How To?
                          conleec Level 1

Hmmm, it's reliable as clockwork here. If I turn down the audio arrow and scroll the timeline, it screws up, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Thanks for the followup, though.

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

Dual Monitors

Matrox Mini Max

PP 6.0.1

• 10. Re: Rubberbanding Audio: How To?
                            conleec Level 1

Just a followup. I had a bright idea and created a new sequence by dragging one of my Epic clips directly to the "new sequence" button on the bottom of the project window. I confirmed that this clip would then allow me to add and manipulate audio keyframes: it did, exactly as expected.

Then I copied and pasted my merged clips from my other sequence into the new sequence, thinking it might propogate the ability to rubber band my audio...but, no love. I can still rubberband my audio from the camera original audio, but as you can see from the attached image, the merged clips still lack an audio level indicator and you cannot add visible keyframes to the clips.

Screen Shot 2012-06-20 at 10.20.22 AM.png

Also, as discussed in this thread -- http://forums.adobe.com/message/4502408#4502408

The timeline immediately begins having redraw issues when the audio arrows are turned down with the merged clips in the timeline. No such problems prior to adding the merged clips to the timeline.

I'd be happy to ZIP up and email my project file to anybody at Adobe who might find it useful in tracking down this issue.

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

Dual Monitors

Matrox Mini Max

PP 6.0.1

• 11. Re: Rubberbanding Audio: How To?
                              jstrawn Adobe Employee

The timeline immediately begins having redraw issues when the audio arrows are turned down with the merged clips in the timeline. No such problems prior to adding the merged clips to the timeline.

I'd be happy to ZIP up and email my project file to anybody at Adobe who might find it useful in tracking down this issue.

Much appreciated, but that won't be necessary. That was one of the problems I saw when I first looked into your issues and there is already an open bug on it.

• 12. Re: Rubberbanding Audio: How To?
                                conleec Level 1

@JSrawn: Thanks for the followup.

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

Dual Monitors

Matrox Mini Max

PP 6.0.1