3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2012 8:05 AM by HeyMikey

What might be the best way to reproduce this filligree?

SM66 Level 1

Hello,

First of all, thank you to Peter Spier and Jongware for the advice about how to preserve linework. You're both right. Any of the options you've mentioned involves a lot of work. I'm learning my lesson. As an alternative, after paying for my credits, I also downloaded another version of the Vitruvian Man, one that is more user friendly, from istockphoto.com. So, it looks like I'll be trying both versions to see which works better for my project.

And now, getting on to my latest challenge..........

Reproducing a certain piece of filligree.

I've tried looking for the same kind of filligree but so far have not been able to find it.

I've tried looking at glyphs in relation to the type face I am using, Bembo Standard.
      Also, although a needle in a haystack approach, I've done several Google searches with different search terms.
      Finally, I've looked on istockphoto.com and can't find anything there either.

So, it looks like I'm going to have to reproduce this by hand, manually, from scratch.

My question is what is the best way to do this?

I'm not so concerned with the red blur around the filligree.

I am more concerned with simply being able to reproduce a black and white vector of the filligree. I would then place that vector in InDesign and use a filter effect to create the red blur.

I'm thinking that creating a black and white vector might have something to do with using the Live Trace tool in Illustrator or the magic wand tool in Photoshop.

Or, I might have to do the old technique of using the Pen Tool in Illustrator and tracing over the filligree.

But, again, instead of me using bad thinking or wasting time on a bad or very inefficient way of doing this, I am looking for the most efficient or "best practice" method.

So, given the filligree below, what is the best way to reproduce it?

Thanks again. : )

filligree.png

• 1. Re: What might be the best way to reproduce this filligree?
          Michael Gianino Level 4

SM66 wrote:

Or, I might have to do the old technique of using the Pen Tool in Illustrator and tracing over the filligree.

That's probably what I would do. If you're not well-practiced in Illustrator, this will be a good exercise. Just place the image you have, lock it down (either the object, or you can put it on it's own layer and lock the layer) and start with the pen tool.

Everyone probably has their own method, but I like to start by placing all the points I think I'll need as corner points (click, but don't drag to make the point curved). I then pick the Direct Selection tool (white arrow) and then the Convert Anchor Point tool. If you click on a point, you can drag it to be curved, but if you hold the Command key (on Mac OS) it will temporarily switch to the Direct Selection tool, which will allow you to move the point if necessary. Others would just make curved points as they go, but this is how I like to do it.

For the pointy shapes on the end, you could probably make one then rotate a copy. For the curvy parts in the middle, you may be able to make one and scale copies, or use the blend tool. As you go, you can switch the visibility of the placed graphic on and off to see how your creation looks on it's own, and when compared to the original.

• 2. Re: What might be the best way to reproduce this filligree?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That might auto-trace in Illustrator if you have a clean image.

That said, I think this would commonly be referred to as a fleuron, and there are probably hundreds of fleuron fonts. Do you need exactly this one? There are some fairly similar glyphs in Adobe Wood Type Ornaments Std

• 3. Re: What might be the best way to reproduce this filligree?
              HeyMikey Level 3

I'm with Peter on this. Adobe Wood Type Ornaments has several you could at least use as a starting point, and converting to outlines in Illustrator to modify it would be an easy task.

Cheers!

-Mikey