4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2012 5:37 AM by Peter Spier

Need some help with pictures

alanpires

Hi,

I need some help to try to understand some of my issues; i'm creating a catalogue for a company and i'm uploading TIFFs pictures (600 of them). My problem is that this catalogue is both for print and web but is getting really heavy as a file, is there another way to convert all the pictures and maintain the quality for print and a reasonable size for web?

I'm uploading TIFFs because i need the transparency and i can't upload as PNG...

Can someone help me please.

I really appreciate

• 1. Re: Need some help with pictures
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

alanpires wrote:

...  this catalogue is both for print and web ...

Choose either file size (for web) or image quality (for print). Something has to give.

This "for web" business, is that still a PDF? Then export for print with full resolution, and export another version to put online where yo adjust the export settings for the web until image quality is worse than having a megabyte or two more.

• 2. Re: Need some help with pictures
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

By the way ...

alanpires wrote:

I'm uploading TIFFs because ...

Original image format has nothing to do with either "print" or "web".

Uh. You are not talking about your InDesign file size, are you?

• 3. Re: Need some help with pictures
              alanpires Level 1

Thank you very much for replying, for web is going to be a PDF embeded in a website, so my concern was going to be how much time would it take to load.

They're not in their original format, im converting in photoshop to tiffs (thats how i learned) and yes its the indesign file (in average all pics have 2 to 6 Mbs size)

and my pc is getting really slow to work on. today im upgrading my ram to 8Gb but i'll see if it is still laggy. (sorry the bad english)

• 4. Re: Need some help with pictures
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Maybe you better go into detail about how you are bring the images into ID, and what the original format is.

If the ID file is getting large, try doing a Save AS to remove old undo information. Sluggishness suggests, too that you may have a lot of complex vector content. have you been pasting in illustrations?