4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2012 7:45 AM by the_wine_snob

Speed difference in CS2.0 and CS5.5?

johns@hockensmith.net

I am running CS5.5 on a new machine and it is taking 3x longer to open a 28.9MB file than it does on my six year old machine running CS2.0. Does anyone know why this is happening?

• 1. Re: Speed difference in CS2.0 and CS5.5?
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

What are the Performance settings, OS, etc.?

• 2. Re: Speed difference in CS2.0 and CS5.5?
            johns@hockensmith.net Level 1

Old Computer:

Windows xp pro proformance edition

Intel core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 GHz and 2 GB of RAM

Photoshop CS2.0 and I have the memory usage at 55% =964MB and catch levels at 6

New Computer:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS

Intel core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz and 12 GB of RAM

Photoshop CS5.5 and I have the memory usage set to 55% = 1790 MB and catch levels at 6

• 3. Re: Speed difference in CS2.0 and CS5.5?
              Noel Carboni Level 8

johns@hockensmith.net wrote:

Photoshop CS5.5 and I have the memory usage set to 55% = 1790 MB and catch levels at 6

It sounds like you're running the 32 bit vesion of the the application, which shouldn't be a problem, but it might be helpful to know whether the same issue occurs with the 64 bit version.  Keep in mind many of the preferences are separate between the 32 and 64 bit versions.

What kind of file is it that you're opening?  A .PSD?

But beyond that, please describe what "3x longer" really means, in seconds.  Also, does the time you're mentioning include Photoshop startup, or is Photoshop already running?  For reference, my (less powerful) system opens a 40 MB .PSD file into Photoshop in under 1 second when it's already running, and a little under 6 seconds when Photoshop has to be cold-started in the process.

If your times are longer than these, I have a suspicion your video driver may be the issue, but without more details it is hard to guess. 

What would be most helpful would be to go into Photoshop's Help - System Info... dialog, Copy, and paste the detailed info in a post here.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Speed difference in CS2.0 and CS5.5?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

To add to Noel's questions, does the new machine perhaps have a networked printer set as the default?

If so, create a "phantom" non-networked default printer (if one is not also attached to the computer. Does that speed things up?

Good luck,

Hunt