4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2008 11:28 AM by Newsgroup_User

Button Problems

EldorG
      While creating a button for use in a navigation bar, if I apply a style to the button, I get strange behaviour that I can't figure out. And it doesn't happen if I do not apply a style to the button.

1) Create a new FW document - size 955px x 28px
      2) Using rectangle tool, create rectangle and through properties adjust size to 119px x 28px - set both x and y to 0
      3) Hit F8, convert to symbol, name it btn_test and make it a type button
      4) Using pointer tool, double-click to bring up the button editor
      5) Change style to the second style in the palette... (or any style it seems)
      6) You don't need to do anything more to see the "problem"
      7) Click done

Back in the document, the button appears (in green) at the left of the canvas, but a lighter shade of green extends to the right (more than the width of another button) and there is a blue vertical line at the end of the green.

What is this, why does it happen, and what am I doing wrong?

If I don't apply any style to the button, but leave it as a colored rectangle, this does not happen.

Thanks for any help.

(I'm really struggling with this program - it's a 30-day trial version - and I'm frustrated with the lack of books and the fact that the help file has so little illustration... mostly text - it makes it very hard for a newbie with the program to figure things out.)
        • 1. Re: Button Problems
          EldorG Level 1
          My 30-day trial of FW is almost over, and right now I'm leaning towards not making the purchase...

My main use of this would be to make navigation buttons, and it's frustrating that what I think should be very simple doesn't appear to work. And my request for help on this has also gone unanswered.

Is this only a user-to-user support area or does anyone from Adobe monitor/contribute?
          • 2. Re: Button Problems
            Level 7
            EldorG wrote:
            > My 30-day trial of FW is almost over, and right now I'm leaning towards not
            > making the purchase...
            >
            > My main use of this would be to make navigation buttons, and it's frustrating
            > that what I think should be very simple doesn't appear to work. And my request
            > for help on this has also gone unanswered.
            >
            > Is this only a user-to-user support area or does anyone from Adobe
            > monitor/contribute?
            >
            >

This is primarily a user to user forum. If you want Adobe support,
            you're better off using the support options on the adobe web site.

If you're only planning to make buttons in FW, then I agree, don't spend
            the money. There's probably some freeware or shareware app out there
            that can do that at a much more affordable price.

If you're planning to use it as a design tool for mocking up web pages
            and making design prototypes quickly and easily, export editable files
            to Flash, work more easily with both vectors and bitmaps, spend the
            money. Fireworks integrates well with DW, FL, PS and Bridge and handles
            incoming files from AI CS3 in a pretty decent manner. It can become a
            very useful part of your workflow and creative process.

As for your problem, any style you apply to an object is made up of
            multiple Live filters. Chances are you are choosing a style that makes
            use of (in however a subtle fashion) drop shadows, glows or Photoshop
            Layer Styles. This forces the active area (slice)to extend beyond the
            size/shape of the button, in order to avoid clipping a style effect on
            export.

Apply the style and then experiment with the Live filters used to create
            the style to see if you can reduce the size of the slice.

For additional support and tutorials, you can check out the Adobe web
            site, fireworkszone.com, communitymx.com, projectseven.com and
            fireworksguru.com.

Further, in the user forums, be as specific as possible. Regardless of
            whether you see this problem in multiple styles or not, GIVE us more
            detail to work with. What style are you using that gives you this
            problem? Each style is different, so the solution may also be different.

If you are a PS/IR user, understand that the FW workflow is different
            and be prepared to change some of your old workflow habits. Chances are
            good things will speed up when you get past the basic learning curve.

HTH

--
            Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
            http://www.communityMX.com/
            CommunityMX - Free Resources:
            http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
            ---
            .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
            Adobe Community Expert
            http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
            ---
            See my work on Flickr
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
            • 3. Re: Button Problems
              geeceeart
              I, too, wanted to use (and bought) FW CS3 specifically for making cool looking nav bars and buttons, but FW is soooooooooooooo different (and wonky?) from other programs (I use PS CS3 and DW CS3 successfully), that it appears I'm going to have to find some other program to do what I thought FW would do.
              I find it interesting that our FW experts (here and projectseven) tell me to use some other program for building nav bars.
              What program do you suppose the Adobe team used to make their web site's nav bars?
              Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................
              Greg
              • 4. Re: Button Problems
                Level 7
                geeceeart wrote:

> I find it interesting that our FW experts (here and projectseven) tell me to
                > use some other program for building nav bars.
                > What program do you suppose the Adobe team used to make their web site's nav
                > bars?
                > Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................

No one is recommending that you use another program to build them. They
                are suggesting that you learn to code them yourself instead of relying
                on a graphics program to generate them for you.

--
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                --------------------------------------------------------------