8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2012 8:30 AM by gbergan52 RSS

drop down menu does not work for user

nehsurk Community Member

I  have a spry drop down menu in the website http://www.ituna.ca and I have just been informed by a user that she is unable to use the menu as a drop down.  This comes as a surprise to me as I have used it successfully in many different browsers and many computers and even the ipad ... so if she is having an issue, perhaps other people are as well.

Is there something I should have done differently or is there something I can tell the user to do to allow use of the menu?

Pat

• 1. Re: drop down menu does not work for user
          Zabeth69 CommunityMVP

Pat,

Your menus look fine on my system, too. It is possible that your user is working on a system with javascript turned off, either on her own computer or, if she is in a company, turned off by the network administrator. Ask her how she is viewing your website...laptop, desktop, smartphone, tablet, etc., to help you pinpoint what your solution will be.

If her javascript is turned off (not to be turned on...), one strategy around this is to create pages linked to your top level menu items. On those pages, you can make text links (not dropdowns) to the menu items that show on the drop-downs. This could be paired with the next idea, as a sort of belt-and-suspenders solution.

A less obtrusive way: Add a secondary, substitute text menu that only appears when javascript is turned off by using <noscript> </noscript> tags around the secondary menus.

Be wary of solutions that require you to tell different users different things.

Beth

• 2. Re: drop down menu does not work for user
            nehsurk Community Member

Thanks Beth,

I have discussed these things with her and had her check turning on the javascript option and she indicated it was checked.  She is using her own home laptop so I am not sure what the problem is, however, she is the only person who has ever complained about this so I am not sure ifit is that much of an issue???

When I have some extra time I might try  linking to top level menus, though I already have a list of all the linked pages on the "Bulletins & Quick Links"page and all the links are also listed in the bottom footer menu.

Thanks anyway for checking this out.

Pat

• 3. Re: drop down menu does not work for user
              Zabeth69 CommunityMVP

Sure thing. Good to duplicate menu links; as long as people can get where they need to go, they don't need dropdowns, anyway. The trick is not to make the lack of drop-downs an obvious omission or lack. You have done the duplicates, so you should be fine.

Beth

• 4. Re: drop down menu does not work for user
                gbergan52 Community Member

Beth,

I have a follow up question to this issue. While I can use the <no script> </no script> code to create submenus say, across the top of my page, where I'd really like for them to appear is underneath my top level menu items in my left menu bar. So if JavaScript is turned off, they show up. If it is turned on, my spry nav menu functions properly. Is there an easy way to do this?

Gail

• 5. Re: drop down menu does not work for user
                  Zabeth69 CommunityMVP

Why not just put them there? Take the whole lot, <no script> tags and all, and place them directly under the main menus.

Beth

• 6. Re: drop down menu does not work for user

By messing with the code inside the Spry menu, it wouldn’t mess up the functioning of it at all? Thanks for your help,

Gail

• 7. Re: drop down menu does not work for user
                      Zabeth69 CommunityMVP

Don't mess with the Spry menu code AT ALL. And don't put anything BETWEEN </li> and <li> or </li> and </ul>. That will not work well.

Put it below the </ul> at the end of the menu code.

Beth

• 8. Re: drop down menu does not work for user

OK, thanks, I’ll give that a try and let you know how it works. Thanks!

Gail

Gail R. Bergan, President

Bergan et al., Inc.

413 So. Church St.

Rockport, TX 78382

361-727-2343

www.bergan.com

www.google.com/profiles/gailbergan7

www.linkedin.com/pub/gail-bergan/30/aa6/391