10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 8:02 PM by JJMack

In need of CS5 Actions help

Christina M Newby

Last week I was trying to set my actions up to be in button mode and was trying to categorize them and so forth. I dont remember exactly what all I did, but I ended up really messing up my actions - here are the issues.

*Some actions that I try to play want to bring up dialog boxes(if applicable) for each step in that action - but did not do this before. Or it will stop (even when there is no stop inserted in the action) and wont continue to play.

* Actions that I created no longer work properly. For example, I created a "studio action" to play on all my images that I shoot in my studio. This action contained a step using a plug-in, and then about 3 other steps using other actions that I had purchased to use. When I would have a studio image, I could press play, it would process each step in that action without stopping, and then I could adust any un-flattened layers at the end. After my attempt at Button Mode, when I went back to having the Actions in a regular list, that action would no longer play each step. So I deleted it and tried to recreate that same action, but it wont record some steps/actions in the new action set I am trying to create.

*In trying to create a new action set, some actions/steps wont record, but previously had before trying to switch to button mode.

My computer is a pc and I have the windows 7 operating system. I am using PS CS5 and have updated it with the patch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has now slowed down my editing process

• 1. Re: In need of CS5 Actions help
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Expand your actions so you can read the steps and ontions.  To do this hold down the Alt/Option key and click on the trianfle pointing doward in front of the action not in button mode. This should fully expand the action so you can all that has been recorded.  On the left side in each step there are two option boxes.  The first if checked will cause the step to be played when the action plays if not checked the step will be skiped. The second box if acrivated will cause the step to be interactive wjen the step plays that steps dialog will bes shown fot you to interactive with. These option boxes are also on the action if you chang these all the steps in the actions will be changes like wise.  If a Action plays and action in that play step you will see two things were recorded the Action Set name the other action is in and the Action name to be played. If you move that action yo so other Action set when the step is played it will fail.  You may want to look at my crafting actions package.

Crafting Actions Package

Contains

• Action Actions Palette Tips.txt
          • Action Creation Guidelines.txt
          • Action Dealing with Image Size.txt
          • Action Enhanced via Scripted Photoshop Functions.txt
          • CraftedActions.atn Sample Action set includes an example Watermarking action
          • Sample Actions.txt Photoshop CraftedActions set saved as a text file.
          • 12 Scripts for actions

Download

• 2. Re: In need of CS5 Actions help
            PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello!

I hope that you did save the actions to the hard disk?

If that's the case, just delete the actions in the Actions Panel, and load the saved copy.

I think that you have clicked on the show dialog button next to the action name, while still in expanded mode.

• 3. Re: In need of CS5 Actions help
              Christina M Newby Level 1

PECourtejoie - I do have all my actions saved - except for the ones that I created. I did delete all of the actions and reload the saved ones and its still not working. Thanks for the tip though.

• 4. Re: In need of CS5 Actions help

JJMack - I am getting ready to take a lok at your crafting actions tips. I will let you know if it helps. Thanks for the response.

• 5. Re: In need of CS5 Actions help
                  PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

What are your playback options set to in the Action Panel's flyout menu? Step by step? You want accelerated.

• 6. Re: In need of CS5 Actions help

Post the Action set .atn file and note which action your having a problem with so we can have a go at it...

• 7. Re: In need of CS5 Actions help

Yes, I have checked to make sure that playback options are set to accelerated. Still no luck.

JJMACK - I have not yet had a chance to read through your tips, but here is the action file. When I try to record a new action set and use an action from this group, it will not record it in the new set. I have deleted the action set that I had previously created (and used to work just fine) - so I am trying to create a new action set. namely the midtone lifter and magical contrast are ones I am trying to use in the new action that I am creating. If I use any from this action set separately, they work fine, they just will not record in the new set, but previously had been. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your help.

Ok - sorry, but just realized it does not give me the option to post an attachment or file? Only an image or video?

• 8. Re: In need of CS5 Actions help

Christina M Newby wrote:

"When I try to record a new action set and use an action from this group, "

You don't record a new action set you create one and when you do you name it and its empty ther is nothing in it to play. Once created you can record or copy or move actions into it.

"and use an action from this group"

Use what action what is the group your writting about?

"it will not record it in the new set."

I don't under stand you record a new action by highlighting an action set then click on the new acyion icon. You name the new action and click on record or yourecord into an existing action by highlighting the step in an action you want to record steps after and clicking on the record button.

" I have deleted the action set that I had previously created (and used to work just fine) "

that is what I ask you to post not delete.

"so I am trying to create a new action set. namely the midtone lifter and magical contrast are ones I am trying to use in the new action that I am creating."

" Does that make sense?

Yes and No.  Some of what you wrote shows your lack of knowledge. When you move things adround and delete(unload loaded actoion set) things can become broken.  Your not going to fix you problems without learning a bit.

Yes you can not attach files here you must upload them to a service like you send it and include a link to it in you append  using the link icon.

• 9. Re: In need of CS5 Actions help

JJMACK - I appreciate the help you have given, but I must say your posts have not exactly been clear either. No, I do not know it all when it comes to photoshop, hence that is why I posted a question here. I tried my best to explain the situation the best I could, but I obviously was not clear to you. And you are correct - I am not going to fix my problems without learning a bit. That is my hope - I always want to learn something new. Thankfully, I have figured out the problem and have been able to fix it Some of the actions I was trying to use apparently had a "stop" at the end and for some reason that was preventing it from being "copied" to a new action set.

• 10. Re: In need of CS5 Actions help

Yes I do not do English well but I try and do the best that I can.  I'm the first to admit I can't type or spell that does not make me stupit and sometimes I'm able to help. Humans learn from ther mistakes and even sometimes from the mistakes of others.  I'm happy you been able to solve some of your problems and I try to help you with other you have if you want me to if you don;t want me to try just let me know that.  I'll have no problem to stop trying to help you.