4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 4:59 AM by sinious

have text from button input scroll

tropicanaclock

Working on a keyboard applicaition, and I've having trouble making the text scroll, or "trim" when it reaches the end.

Now if I make a normal input text bar the text scrolls automatically when I trype into it.

• 1. Re: have text from button input scroll
          sinious Most Valuable Participant

Are you using TLF or Classic text?

• 2. Re: have text from button input scroll
            tropicanaclock Level 1

im using classic text, but i've played with tlf to see if it would work.

any ideas

• 4. Re: have text from button input scroll
              sinious Most Valuable Participant

If you want it to continuously select the end of the input like a cursor would you just need to set the selection. Here's a full example of a timer firing off continuously adding in numbers into an input. You can just open a new document and paste this into a frame script:

import flash.utils.Timer;

import flash.events.TimerEvent;

import flash.text.TextField;

import flash.text.TextFieldAutoSize;

import flash.text.TextFormat;

import flash.text.TextFieldType;

// create Input TextField, size, position and configure

var myText:TextField = new TextField();

addChild(myText);

myText.x = myText.y = 10;

myText.width = stage.stageWidth - 20;

myText.multiline = false;                                                  // keep it single line

myText.wordWrap = false;                                                  // no wrapping out of view

myText.autoSize = TextFieldAutoSize.NONE;           // no auto sizing

myText.selectable = true;                                                  // so you can select the text to see it's all there

myText.type = TextFieldType.INPUT;                              // input type

myText.defaultTextFormat = new TextFormat("Arial",16,0x0);

myText.text = "0";

//  init variable for the number I'm adding as text

var currentNumber:uint = 0;

// create a timer to add text to the field, just adding numbers for ease

var myTimer:Timer = new Timer(200, 200);

myTimer.addEventListener(TimerEvent.TIMER, handleTimer, false, 0, true);

myTimer.start();

// function to add the number to the textfield (simulate typing into it)

function handleTimer(e:TimerEvent):void

{

currentNumber += 10;                                                            // add 10 before appending to the textfield

myText.appendText(", " + currentNumber);           // append to TextField

myText.setSelection(myText.length,myText.length);

}

Or easier to read here:

http://pastebin.com/ApvAxA3f

The general idea is after each append I just set the selection to the last character index. As long as you use length it will always be the end of the input and if it's the same start and end index no text is actually selected.

I've done a lot of on-screen keyboards at kiosks.