Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combine PDFs: Still cant right click and bring up "Combine PDFs" option

Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option to combine PDFs by right clicking on the files does not appear on my machine.  I've read the fourms and tried the following:

1. All adobe products updated

2. uninstalled/reinstalled Acrobat Pro

3. repaired installation of Acrobat Pro

3. followed another forums suggestion of running: regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat Elements\ContextMenu64.dll". problem persisted. I got error message 0x80070005.

I have 100s of PDFs to combine! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

(Win7, x64).

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Please set permission on this registry key following step '1. (Advanced) Set permissions to their defaults in the registry' in this article: http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/error-1402-error-1406-acrobat.html

This article is not for this issue. It just contains a step to set permissions on the registry keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Acrobat choose File > Create > Combine Files Into A Single PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks - yes the workaround is: In Adobe Acrobat File > Create > Combine.  But... right clicking on the file is soooo much faster and convieenent.  Every day for years I was able to simply right click to combine. When I switched to a new computer and upgraded Acrobat Pro I lost the beloved functionality of right click/combine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many files did you select in Windows Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried selecting one, two, three, four and five PDF files.  same thing - the option to combine just does not show up on right click

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have this registry key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Adobe.Acrobat.ContextMenu with DWORD value: {D25B2CAB-8A9A-4517-A9B2-CB5F68A5A802}

If not then create it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks.  I have the folder, but I'm blocked from opening it.  see attached screen shot

temp.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please set permission on this registry key following step '1. (Advanced) Set permissions to their defaults in the registry' in this article: http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/error-1402-error-1406-acrobat.html

This article is not for this issue. It just contains a step to set permissions on the registry keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 21, 2012 Jun 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a solution!  followed all steps in the link above (to reset permissions on registry keys) and the right-click-context-menu to combine PDFs appeared, and works.

thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any idea why I have to go through this procedure almost monthly?  The issue keeps reoccurring.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Registry Keys are costantly being written to all the time therefore  are the most eaily corruptible files on Windows machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similarly related issue, the space where it used to say "Combine..." in the context menu is now blank (ie it's there but there is no text), and if I click on it, nothing happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2013 Sep 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this in my registry but the "Combine files...." does not appear in my context menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2013 Oct 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lawrence,

If this registry already available, please try the below mentioned steps and let me know if that works

• Click Start, choose 'All Programs' > 'Accessories, and *right-click* on 'Command Prompt and 'Select 'Run as Administrator'
  • If you have 64-bit Windows, in the command window type the following and press Enter, including the quotes:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat Elements\ContextMenu64.dll"

Regards,

~Pranav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem after ununstall Google Drive. It seems to be a conflict with the contextmenu handler. See the attached pic from the uninstall report.1311_googledrive.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that by disabling the Google Drive context menu setting (I used CCleaner) on a Windows 7 64 bit install of CS3 the problem is partially resolved. Unfortunately it no longer combines JPG, TIF, or anything I have tested except PDF files. I suppose that is the best I can hope for considering what I have read here. If anyone has a more complete solution please post. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2014 Apr 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Google Drive also, which brought back the "Combine" menu item in the right-click/context menu.

Didn't try the registry fix after others said the problem re-occurs with that fix.

Running Windows 8.1, latest updates.  Not sure when this problem first started on this machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

That works. However the "Convert to PDF" and "Combine pdfs.." is a blank line in the context menu.  The buttons work, just don't show the text of the button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After looking for ages for a solution a combination of responses here sorted out my problem.

If I tried to run regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat Elements\ContextMenu64.dll"  I got error message 0x80070005

If I looked at the regkey - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Adobe.Acrobat.ContextMenu with DWORD value: {D25B2CAB-8A9A-4517-A9B2-CB5F68A5A802} I got permission denied

If I tried to edit permissions I was not able to.

So I downloaded the home edition of Registrar Registry Manager  from Resplendence Software - Registrar Registry Manager   - You need to make your own call on using this but I read reviews on CNet and it looked like a good tool

With this registry manager I was able to access the Adobe.Acrobat.ContextMenu key and in my case I decided to delete it and then used the regular registry manager to re-create the key. I let regedit put a random default key in and then went back to to the cmd line and as administrator I ran regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat Elements\ContextMenu64.dll"

I went back to regedit and looked at eh key again - I now had a good dword entry - I deleted the random key created in the previous step and then hey presto everything worked correctly - I had the adobe context menu back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!  I never thought to press the blank spot.  The combine pdf is there you just can't see the text on the list.  When I pressed the blank spot where the combine file to pdf used to be it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MacOS: after selecting multiple PDF files, I want to right click and have the option (shortcut) to combine files. Make a tutorial for MacOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This resolved my issue but it was difficult to understand what you were intending to say.

Solution

• Launch regedit
  • Navigate to  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Adobe.Acrobat.ContextMenu
  • Double click the key to edit the parameters
  • Replace ALL of the value with {D25B2CAB-8A9A-4517-A9B2-CB5F68A5A802}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I just installed Google Drive yesterday and my option to combine pdfs in the right-click menu has disappeared.  I have found, though that if you just click the blank space in the right-click menu where "Combine PDFs in Acrobat" used to be, it still works.  Kind of unfortunate but I'd rather keep Google Drive on my machine and just click a blank icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2015 Aug 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem. After I uninstalled Google Drive, the acrobat context menu items appeared as usual. It seems Google Drive context menu has same name with Acrobat context menu that is "contextmenu64.dll".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines