7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 1:10 AM by inquestflash

image size for final output print

inquestflash Level 1

hello forumers.

ive been asked to do a poster A2 size 594mm x 420mm 300dpi

but when i enter these dimenstions my pc is slowing down dramaticly.

whats the best way to achieve better performance?

thank you.

• 1. Re: image size for final output print
          Scott Falkner Level 6

That is a big file (~100 MB for one layer in RGB mode) and it will use a lot of memory and require constant swapping to and from the scratch partition. No way around it except to get more memory, a faster hard drive, or work at a smaller size. If you can build the poster in another program and just work on smaller components in Photoshop I would suggest that. InDesign would be my first choice, followed by Illustrator in a distant second.

And please refer to image resolution not as DPI but as PPI for Pixels Per Inch. This is the one and only proper term.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: image size for final output print
            inquestflash Level 1

hello Scott

would working in 1/3 of the size help and still having it at 300dpi?im trying to figure out the size to have it one third,i think the performance would be much faster.

and yes ofcourse pixels per inch is the correct,sorry my bad.

• 3. Re: image size for final output print
              MikeKPhoto Level 2

Seems to me that your PC could be the source of the problem. Can you post the specifications, CPU memory etc. While A2 size (aproximately 23.4 x 16.5 in - easier for me to work in inches) is a good size, it is roughly the same dimensions as a file straight from the D800 and without layers should be about 200 MB. While I have a pretty good system (16 GB memory with an i7  core) I can easily handle files sizes 5x this size.

Also I have an old XP machine with 4GB memory running CS3 that can, although a little slow, easily handle 400 MB files

While 300 ppi will give a good print, if you resampled to somewhere between 200-240 ppi you will still get a decent print and reduce the file size. With an A2 size print at 300 ppi coming in at 200 MB, resampling to 240 ppi would bring the file size down to ~ 130 MB and 200 ppi would bring the file size down to ~ 92 MB

MK

• 4. Re: image size for final output print
                inquestflash Level 1

Hello Mike

heres is the specs of my pc system:

u2a.jpg

whats the best solution by your honest opinion?

thank you.

• 5. Re: image size for final output print
                  MikeKPhoto Level 2

I think the long term solution for you would be to add memory, 4:00 GB is really the minimum, but if your system wil allow you to go beyond 4GB that would be the way to go. As I mentioned I have an XP system, pretty old, and limited to 4GB maximum.

The other question I have is how much available disk space do you have? With minimum memory you are probably seeing paging, writing memory to disk, and if you have very little free space, or the drive is heavily fragmented that could impact system performance. But the ultimate solution would be to upgrade your system, especially if you are contemplating going beyond CS3.

Also make sure there are no other applications running, shut everything down that you don't need to run photoshop. Internet Explorer, Outlook, Skype etc can gobble up a lot of memory and resources.

That's about all I can thing of, but you should consider upgrading your machine and OS if you can with as much memory as you can spring for.

Cheers

Mike

But as I mentioned, down sampling the print to a lower ppi will reduce the overall file size and may help.

• 6. Re: image size for final output print
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

You have too little RAM.

Today, right now, a 64 bit system with 8 GB of RAM will run Photoshop but I wouldn't want to rely on it for production work.  16 GB RAM is sufficient, but with decent processors you can work effectively on big images that will drive even that system to swapping.

Honestly, if I were building a brand spanking new Photoshop workstation right now it would have at least 48 GB of RAM.

Advice:  Augment or replace your RAM with as much as you can afford.  If your system can use it, I recommend ECC RAM, because it will correct errors or detect uncorrectable ones, rather than allowing things to become corrupted.

-Noel

• 7. Re: image size for final output print
                      inquestflash Level 1

hello thank you for the reply.

best regards.