2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2012 6:32 AM by fishion

Need some advice on my upcoming workstation

fishion

Hi, I am currently building up a workstation would like to get some advice from you guys.

I am a multimedia designer in a corporate company. Some of my more heavy task are using AE & Premiere pro to create motion graphic intros, event montage, presentation videos etc... Would like to incorporate Cinema 4D into my workflow after I get the workstation as well.

Currently main component of my setup is,

• Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor E5-2620 2.0GHz 15M
      • 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, ECC
      • 2TB 7200 RPM 3.5'' SATA3 Hard Drive
      • 1 GB NVIDIA Quadro 2000

With a little bit of extra budget, I have the option to upgrade to either 1,

• Dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor E5-2620 2.0GHz 15M

or

• 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, ECC

or

• 2GB nVIDIA Quadro 4000

More processing power? or More Ram? or More GPU power?

• 1. Re: Need some advice on my upcoming workstation
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Dual processors won't do much for AE. There are simply too many scenarios where MP rendering will be disabled, including anything from conventional OpenGL plug-ins like MB Looks to the GPU raytracing stuff to any temporal stuff with time remapping. Would be a waste of money. Of course C4D would benefit from extra processors/ cores so it can fire more render threads. Similarly, getting a Quadro 4000 over a 2000 only makes sense if your use of AE's raytrace 3D is so extensive that the extra cost justifies that 10 or 15% performance gain it may give. It will do nil in C4D. And yeah, RAM is cheap, so get as much as you can.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need some advice on my upcoming workstation
            fishion Level 1

Thank you very much for the detailed advice, will go for RAM upgrade in thsi case.

Thank you,

Norman