5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 12:54 AM by Pierre Devereux

Recording Formats

Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

I am holding in my greedy little hands, a new Atomos Samurai external recording device. I am about to go on a crash course to use it, but would like to pose one question first (I will most definately do my homework, but would like the forums input) - When do I record as Apple ProRes® and when do i use Avid DNxHD®?

I wish the batteries would charge faster!!!

Pierre

• 1. Re: Recording Formats
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

They're on par and using pretty much the same methodology - wavelet based compression. The only difference might be the compression quality, since DNxHD offers multiple settings for data rates. No idea which ones the device supports, though. Just be aware of those notorious ProRes compatibility issues that have been discussed a couple of times on this forum.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Recording Formats
            Pierre Devereux Level 2

Thanks man,

The device supports both - thats where I read up on them. maybe, to play it safe, Ill try the DNxHD first. so far, using After effects and some simple use of the liquify tools and masks, I have managed to make my metal characters move ever so slightly - makes them look more alive. now I am working on creating a nice computer monitor face glow as they stare into their consoles. :-)

I am hoping that the recording device will open some great door with image quality. As soon as the darn batteries are charged, Ill plug it in and take it for a test drive. Till then - "Glowy-faces" it is.....

:-)

Pierre

• 3. Re: Recording Formats
              Pierre Devereux Level 2

I have another question - and this , i guess, is directed at people who use external recording devices.

The BBC standard for broadcast states - "Inter-frame based recording formats below 50Mb/s". Now, I am recording at 1080p25 (because I am on that side of the world) and have set the recording device to capture at 1080p25 as well, using the ProRes HQ Codec. I am getting really confused with the size requirements as, coming from the IT world, we dont really deal with MegaBITS, but mostly MegaBYTES. I decided to do a little test and shot 10 seconds of footage with the following settings:

1) 1080i ProRes HQ                         - 185.4MB

2) 1080i Prores 422                          - 114.7MB

3) 1080i ProRes LT                         - 96.7MB

4) 1080p Prores HQ                        -220.8MB

5) 1080p Prores 422                         - 137.1MB

6) 1080p ProRes LT                         - 90.5MB

7) Direct to Camera SD card              - 16.9MB

Now, 1 MegaBYTE is equal to 8 MegaBITS - This means, that at its highest recording setting, the external device is able to capture at 22.08 MegaBYTES per second, and 176.64 MegaBITS per second.

All of this, is to ask the following: - am I correct in assuming that the BBC standards of 50Mb/s refers to MegaBITS, and therefore I am recording at MUCH higher than needed (which will assist with Green-Screen work and post work), or am I deluded, and should rather leave to become a street-sweeper?

Also, I do understand that this is an After Effects forum, but I am hoping that I am not the only person using After Effects that has this question! :-)   If I am, any point to the correct forum will be appreciated.

Thank you

Pierre

• 4. Re: Recording Formats
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Pierre Devereux wrote:

When do I record as Apple ProRes and when do i use Avid DNxHD?

DNxHD is comparable in quality to ProRes: negligible differences in image quality, other than those Mylenium notes.

However, both Mac and Win can read AND write DNxHD when equipped with the codec.  Only machines with Final Cut Pro installed can read and write ProRes.  For everyone else, it's a read-only codec.  This fact may influence your codec choice.

• 5. Re: Recording Formats
                  Pierre Devereux Level 2

Thank guys,

Ill check them both out - have not had a chance to play with the device properly yet. Ill check it out next week, and post some findings out of interest.

:-)

Have a great one, and thanks for the responses.

Pierre