3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 11:01 PM by c.pfaffenbichler

cs6 color picker current & below possible issue

c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Could somebody please try the following and let me know if they see the same behaviour?

Create a Group, set it to Blend Mode Normal, with an empty Layer inside the Group selected and the Eyedropper Tool set to Current & Below try to pick a color from a Layer underneath.

I can’t pick up a color from there then. 

colorPickerTestScr.jpg

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: cs6 color picker current & below possible issue
          Sharon Huang Level 3

Hi, I tried it out and got the same result and here is why...

With the "current and below" mode on for the eyedropper tool, you cannot pick colors from the background layer, which is where your color samples are on right now. You can either make a new layer above the background layer and have the color samples there, or change the Eyedropper tool mode to "all layers".

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: cs6 color picker current & below possible issue
            conroy Level 5

I, too, get the same result but I do not agree that the "Background" layer is considered by the Eyedropper Tool as being different to other pixel layers.

It seems to me that the ET in "Current & Below" and "Current & Below no Adjustments" modes, and the Color Picker, do not detect colours from outside the scope of a group whose blend mode is not "Pass Through". Of course, groups can be nested, and the rule appears to be that colour detection in C&B modes is restricted to the innermost non-"Pass Through" group containing the selected layer.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: cs6 color picker current & below possible issue
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Thank you both!

As conroy2009 points out it is irrelevant whether the underlying Layer/s is/are a Background Layer or not.

I consider this a bug or at least »unexpected behaviour« as the term »Current & Below« does make no mention of Groups and therefore, in my opinion, should work regardless of Groups’ Blend Modes.

The programming reasons for this may be valid ones but for me as a user this makes the new color picker settings much less usefull.