5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2012 4:27 PM by Peter Spier

InDesign corrupts files

Mnietek Level 1

Here is a link to InDesign file:

https://www.wetransfer.com/dl/t9kXGPob/2323bdb435d7931c8ebd46d9ad613ab469d474349777e9d4821 c32f00b423e4292a695bb3f7f830

Steps to reproduce problem:

1. Open file

2. Update Table of Contents

3. Save and close file.

File is not readable.

Could anyone check this file? Maybe there is something wrong with my comp or something?

(InDesign CS6, Win 7 Pro 64 bit, 12 GB RAM)

• 1. Re: InDesign corrupts files
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I got the same result with your original file--could not open by double-clicking. I was able to open it through the InDesign file menu

open with open copy checked.

The resulting file did not create an error after the TOC change.

I spoke too soon. The next TOC change did result in the error. Each time, the only way to open the copy is to open a copy via the File menu. Even saving as idml didn't help. I'll try a few more things and get back to you.

Message was edited by: SRiegel

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InDesign corrupts files
            SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm sorry, I couldn't get the problem to go away. I was able to open as a copy on the file that wouldn't open normally, but updating the TOC still always resulted in the file being un-openable (except as a copy). Maybe someone else can think of some other part of the file to look at.

• 3. Re: InDesign corrupts files
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I haven't been able to fix the file yet, either, but the problem appears to be in the TOC itself. I can delete the pages with the TOC, save, close and reopen, then add new pages for the TOC to the begining of the file, save close and reopen, but as soon as I try to add the TOC the doc fails to reopen.

I would try defining a NEW TOC (and new TOC style) and not use the existing Default TOC.

• 4. Re: InDesign corrupts files
                Mnietek Level 1

I think this is a bug.

When I cut document text to make TOC shorter - the problem with updating TOC disappear.

Problem exists when Table of Contents is flowed to second frame.

Fortunately, open COPY works (thanks SRiegel)

_____

sorry for my English

• 5. Re: InDesign corrupts files
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm suspicious of the span columns attribute added to the TOC heading. There have been other other bugs associated with span and split columns.