7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 3:24 PM by conleec

Seeing Audio's Timecode?

conleec Level 1

Hello Everybody,

I'm cutting merged clips and the audio has different timecode than the picture. How can I see the audio's timecode, both in the timeline, and in the source viewer?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

nVidia GTX 285 (CUDA 4.2.10)

Dual Monitors

Matrox Mini Max

PP 6.0.1

• 1. Re: Seeing Audio's Timecode?
          Nate Boerman Adobe Employee

Hey Chris,

For the source monitor, Import the audio clip into the source monitor and you will see the timecode at in the lower left hand corner of the source monitor panel.

For the clips on the timeline, you can open up the info panel and it will display the timecode for all audio and video clip items on the timeline depending on where your CTI is.

Hopefully that helps.

-Nate

• 2. Re: Seeing Audio's Timecode?
            conleec Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply, Nate. But I'm not sure it's working the way I need it to.

My clips are all merged clips. There are times when I definitely need to know either the picture's TC or the audio's TC from the merged clips in the source monitor. Right now I get a single timecode display under my source monitor, but I believe it refers to the picture timecode only. I want to switch it occasionally to show the audio's timecode instead...?

And same problem in the info window. Unless I'm missing something, all that panel is showing me now is my merged clip's name, the video's tape name and it's position on the timeline, which isn't very useful actually, as I already KNOW where it is in the timeline.

Screen Shot 2012-06-20 at 1.53.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2012-06-20 at 1.56.10 PM.png

I need a way to tell the info window to show my source timecodes for the two halves of my merged clips, both Video and audio.

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

Dual Monitors

Matrox Mini Max

PP 6.0.1

• 3. Re: Seeing Audio's Timecode?
              conleec Level 1

Oh man, I just realized this is gonna be bad if I can't do this, because I made a very big assumption based on my usual workflow with Avid:

My production audio has 6 tracks, one of which is a composite mix, and that's the ONLY one I added to my merged clips. My assumption was, in the future if I needed to get back to the iso tracks, I could easily reference the audio's TC and simply jump to that spot in my field mixer's audio and pull what I need from one of the other five tracks? This is common practice in the Avid world, so you don't have to push more than one audio track around.

Have I just screwed myself?

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

Dual Monitors

Matrox Mini Max

PP 6.0.1

• 4. Re: Seeing Audio's Timecode?
                drechtaberfulmowitz

Hey there.

Did you ever find a workaround for this issue?

I made the same assumption and am now trying to see the AUDIO TIMECODE in my Source Monitor

• 5. Re: Seeing Audio's Timecode?
                  conleec Level 1

No, I never found a solution to this. Unfortunately, I had to bail on using PP for that feature edit, but true to my initial word I'm now back scanning the forums to see if PP has matured in these feature areas. I did enjoy cutting with it; it was the deliverables that caused me problems a couple years ago.

Chris

• 6. Re: Seeing Audio's Timecode?
                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi conleec,

Thanks for your post. Recently, Premiere CC 7.1 got a feature called "Overlays." You can customize them in many ways.

I did a test with a merged clip and could get separate audio and video TC on the Program Monitor, however, when I did a match frame, only the video source TC was visible in the Source Monitor.

I'll look into this behavior as it does not sound correct. I'll repost if I can find a solution. If not, the feature request form is here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

There are a lot of great updates with Premiere Pro CC. Definitely look into it.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 7. Re: Seeing Audio's Timecode?
                      conleec Level 1

Thanks for the follow-up, Kevin. That's a start, but it's definitely a necessity to be able to get at both Audio and Video timecode in the source monitor, particularly when using merged clips with double-system sound (as is the norm in the feature and episodic world). Curious to hear your additional findings.

Chris Conlee